Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedellagnello
Stranger
16 Days and no pins
    #5636861 - 05/16/06 10:50 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have my first 2 PF cakes in my chamber, I put them there the first of the month. They are both made with 100% organic rye flour, no additives, instead of brf, is this ok? The humidity is at about 98%-100% but the temperature is what worries me. Ive seen it as high as 80 and as low as 70. I don't really have a system for maintianing temperature, I thought it would just be ok. Is it normal for the pins to take this long? I have about 8 more cakes fully colonized waiting to go into the chamber but I wanted these 2 to show pins so that I was sure everything in the chamber was working properly before I wasted all my cakes.

Edit: Also my cakes have large blue bruises all over them, I know this is normal but I thought it would take a lot longer for this to happen.

Edited by dellagnello (05/16/06 10:52 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: 16 Days and no pins [Re: dellagnello]
    #5636882 - 05/16/06 10:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

welcome to the shroomery :tongue:

how long were they in incubation? maybe they're kinda dehidrated?
what kind of fresh  air exchange method are you using? if fanning... maybe not enough?

i wouldn't waste any time with the other colonized cakes (just dunk them all for about 18 hours then roll in dry verm and place in there!)

cakes bruise blue if you handle them... it's nothing to worry about!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlinedellagnello
Stranger
Re: 16 Days and no pins [Re: Simisu]
    #5636965 - 05/16/06 11:42 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have never touched the sides of my cakes and yes its fanning, what would you suggest I use as an air exchange method?

OfflineCrazyPsilocybe
King Of AllJackasses
Male
Loc: United States of Ass Rapi...
Re: 16 Days and no pins [Re: dellagnello]
    #5636988 - 05/16/06 11:53 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I'd take 'em out and dunk them, use 5-10% peroxide. The humidity needs a little better control - look at the perlite or lava rock usage in teks. The humidity for fruiting is 80-90%, over 90 will keep the mycelium growing instead of fruiting.

--------------------
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 16 Days and no pins [Re: CrazyPsilocybe]
    #5637021 - 05/16/06 12:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i half and half agree with above there...

if they're bruising blue without handling its because they're dry. take the cakes out, put them in a clean jar with a new (no holes) lid, and fill with water to dunk... leave 'em soaking in the fridge for 12-24, they'll pin real fast when you take them out.

the part i don't agree with is the humidity for fruiting. as close to 100% you can get is best for cakes. 80-90% is more for casings. think of it as kind of a "threshold" the cake needs to reach, where the mycelium has gathered enough resources to pump out some mushrooms. i think its more or less a lack of moisture within the cakes that's holding them back, and that's why its taking so long and you're seeing some blueing. the temps aren't great but shouldn't pose too much of a problem. towards the lower to mid 70s is more ideal but as long as its not at 80 or above the majority of the time you should be fine.

OfflineCrazyPsilocybe
King Of AllJackasses
Male
Loc: United States of Ass Rapi...
Re: 16 Days and no pins [Re: CrazyPsilocybe]
    #5637038 - 05/16/06 12:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

aaaaahhhhhh, I stand corrected - creamcorn - I wonder why that is? What do you think? Maybe the casing (and rizo's) insulates the mycelium differently which is keeping it's humidity higher than what's above the casing. Thats interesting.

--------------------
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation