Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekrnfan145970
Smart commentgoes here
Male
Getting ready to case
    #5628798 - 05/14/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well my 5lbs of stud is about 2 days away from full colonization. I am going to case with either 60/40 verm/coir or 70/30 verm/coir. I think I am going to go with 70/30 so I don't have as much trouble with the myc tearing through the coir, because i heard that can be a problem sometimes.

I wanted to get some professional opinions on whether i should sterilize or pasteurize my casing. I have read alot about both, but which is the truly better way to go in terms on contamination?

Does sterilizing in the microwave work really well? I have spawn bags ,so pasteurizing wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if nuking works really well I might as well do that. I am looking for the easiest, fastest way to prepare my casing, but don't want to risk contamination.

Also is 70/30 a good ratio, or does anyone use a better yielding ratio?

All advice appreciated. thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting ready to case [Re: krnfan145970]
    #5628834 - 05/14/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thats a good ratio, I prefer pasteurizing in a roaster in the oven.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: Getting ready to case [Re: hyphae]
    #5628858 - 05/14/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i never sterilize or pasteurize my casing layer. i do get trich after the 4th flush or so, but recently RR or agar or somebody super-knowledgable said that trich that late is from not enough FAE.

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinekrnfan145970
Smart commentgoes here
Male
Re: Getting ready to case [Re: Optx]
    #5628871 - 05/14/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone else not sterilize or pasteurize they're casing layer?

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
    #5628886 - 05/14/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i normally don't have much to do so i just nuke it for 5 mins. if i have a little more maybe nuke mix then nuke again. let cool then use.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

Offlinekrnfan145970
Smart commentgoes here
Male
Re: Getting ready to case [Re: skeletor]
    #5628920 - 05/14/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

so sterilizing your casing isn't like sterilizing your grains? you can have your sterilized casing in the open air, but you cant have sterilized grains in the open air?

I guess it's because casing is non nutritious, but i heard that coir has nutrients in it.

Oh well if it works it works and I'm not going to complain. Thanks for your input. I will nuke.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #5628923 - 05/14/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

nuke 5 min stir . nuke for five more. keep covered. let it cool.
there is no reason not to sterilize. i mean you spend all that time making jars doing a spawn run. waiting ...... waitin... just to fail from a stupid casing layer. spend 10 min to sterilize i don't care what the big dogs say.

OfflineNumberThree
Jedi Drifter
Male

#5628976 - 05/14/06 04:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I had a spare cake when I was birthing the other day, and having some of the resources at hand, I decided to case that extra cake (well in actuality it was only have a cake which had stalled). I rubbed all me equipment down with alcohol, sprayed a bit of Lysol, and went to work. After putting down unsterilized/dampened verm as a casing bottom, I cut my cake in half and hand crumbled the cake into the container. I then mixed up a thing of peat/verm that was eye-balled to about 1:1 ratio (50/50 tek) and soaked to field capacity, which I then tossed on top of the substrate then I leveled 'er out. Its been about 4 days and the mycelium is poking through pretty hardcore. I did minor patching, but IMO its getting close enough to fruiting to stop. All this was done in pretty unsanitary conditions, with unpasteurized casing layers. Maybe my words will come back to haunt me (but then again it was either test it out or throw away a good cake), but my attempt seems to be going along very well for how unsterilized I was with everything. (Oh regular tap water was used too, but I have a clean well so city people might want to look out.)

--------------------
Watch the weather change...

Offlineshroomballa
ShroomBalla
 User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Re: Getting ready to case [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #5629179 - 05/14/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

preschooler said:
nuke 5 min stir . nuke for five more. keep covered. let it cool.
there is no reason not to sterilize. i mean you spend all that time making jars doing a spawn run. waiting ...... waitin... just to fail from a stupid casing layer. spend 10 min to sterilize i don't care what the big dogs say.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Just what I did on my first casing.  I'm on my second flush with no prob so far.

--------------------
Anything I say is fictional. Duh.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5629205 - 05/14/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Optx said:
i never sterilize or pasteurize my casing layer. i do get trich after the 4th flush or so, but recently RR or agar or somebody super-knowledgable said that trich that late is from not enough FAE.

Well they are all knowledgable alright but let me set you straight right now so you know whats what. Most all contams thrive in warm moist stagnate environments thats a fact. Now do you really think you would have 3-4 decent flushes in a stagnate atmosphere? Not at all what is actually taking place and please pay attention, your casings become acidic over time as a result of metabolic activity and guess what trich just loves acidic environments thats why they contam with age so you know. Not pasturizing your casings is totally foolish after spending all that time and effort and FYI there are many contams/bacteria that particularly attack casings and their fruits and trust me there is plenty of bacterial activity in peat even though it is basically very nutrient poor. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinevescudero0
ay ay aaaaay

#5629299 - 05/14/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

NUKE EM NUKE EM!!!!!!!!!!!
thats what i did....

--------------------
live & enjooooooooooooooooy

OfflineNumberThree
Jedi Drifter
Male

Re: Getting ready to case [Re: vescudero0]
    #5629317 - 05/14/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Another side note to what I wrote:

I completely agree that if you intend on having casings you should definetly sterilize you casing layer. I just didn't cause I had the supplies to spare, and if I lost this casing oh well.

--------------------
Watch the weather change...

OfflineBMArts
Stranger
Re: Getting ready to case [Re: NumberThree]
    #5629397 - 05/14/06 05:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I don't sterilize or pasturize my casing material... haven'T had any problems yet. After about 4 flushes I usually dump the casings though anyhow... when it stops producing a decent amount (say 1 dose or 25-30 grams) per flush, I don't find it worth it to keep it going... besides by that time I usualy need the container to case whatever has been colonizing in that time.

--------------------
Everything I post on this board is pure fiction. Nothing in the post above is real. It is all made up...

May the source be with GNU

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: Getting ready to case [Re: BMArts]
    #5629466 - 05/14/06 06:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

excellent info hyphae. though i haven't had any problems until 4 flushes or so, i might consider pasteurizing now, and possibly adding crushed oyster shells to keep the acids at bay. that's what oyster shells are for right?

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5629493 - 05/14/06 06:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Optx said:
excellent info hyphae. though i haven't had any problems until 4 flushes or so, i might consider pasteurizing now, and possibly adding crushed oyster shells to keep the acids at bay. that's what oyster shells are for right?

You are correct. We can go a lifetime and never get any contams under certain circumstances as contams are an environmental factor totally, you may get lucky and then you may not it's a matter of luck. Once contams do establish themselves they can last a lifetime also. In the end it's up to each person to follow their mycosense. :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinekrnfan145970
Smart commentgoes here
Male
    #5633948 - 05/15/06 05:41 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well I have a turkey roaster oven i bought a while back, so i guess it is time to put it to good use.

A question on how to pasteurize in it though. It has a removable tray. Do i put water under the removable tray, place the tray in and add water to that also? Then set the bags in and put the lid on?

The water in the top of the tray where the bags sit doesn't have to come up very high on the side of the bag(s) does it?

I'm assuming you just mix up your casing and get it to field capacity then load it into the bags?

Will dialing the oven into 170 be good or will it get hotter inside the bags? I have never pasteurized before, but i know the process. If anyone could give me step by step instructions for using a roaster oven though it would be greatly appreciated. I will be casing tomorrow probably, so a semi quick response would be great.

Thank you all very much.

P.S. what is the best way to adjust the p.h. of coir. I thought it didn't need Ph adjusting, but i guess it does. Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first casing and it looks so good and white i really don't want to mess it up.

Offlinekrnfan145970
Smart commentgoes here
Male
    #5633965 - 05/15/06 05:46 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

also if you pasteurize your casing will it need to be re pasteurized before you patch or will a couple of days not be a big deal? I know poo can last a long time after being pasteurized, but not sure if casing would be the same.

Thanks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate