Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesloluva

Loc: Ohio
Mycobag Experiment Started today, 2.25 *update*
    #562528 - 02/25/02 12:08 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well, after months of reading, searching and picking the brains of the talented experimenters here, I pussed out and got 4 mycobags. lol... Really, these look like the way to go for a newb like myself. I plan on casing at least one of the bags, probably 2. I will post pics here along the way, Ala Roadkills Pod thread... Any tips on the best way to case these puppies would be most appreciated!

Thanks for all the help along the way...

Slo

*Oh, I am using Ecuadors from Sporeworks...

Edited by sloluva (02/26/02 06:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Mycobag Experiment Started today, 2.25 [Re: sloluva]
    #562661 - 02/25/02 02:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

my friend is also a total noob, however he got his spore syringes today in the mail, and will be starting 4 myco bags himself by the days end! he also plans on growing some in a terranium casing style, but isnt going to use the myco bags for that, so that wont start today.

this is kind of cool how you guys are starting myco bags on the exact same day. the 3 of us should compare progress from time to time, and perhaps learn from each other.

what strain are you using? hes planning on using Equadors and Thai Koh Samui.
Good Luck!

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Invisiblesloluva

Re: Mycobag Experiment Started today, 2.25 [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #563002 - 02/25/02 08:00 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Cool, I'd be happy to compare notes... I'm getting some bags from Dr. Bluethumbs soon too, I'll let you know how that goes too! I am working with Ecuadors right now, but might be trying some Cambo's to case soon too... (Thanks again Nighted!)

Feel free to PM me if you want to compare "research notes."

Peas,

Slo

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #563023 - 02/25/02 08:20 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I also just received a bag, just waiting on my syringe. I'll contribute too, if ya dont mind.

Invisiblesloluva

Re: Mycobag Experiment Started today, 2.25 [Re: windex]
    #563274 - 02/26/02 01:05 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Heh, the more the merrier!

I'll give you a quick run down of what I did....

1. Bags arrive today at my neighbor/fellow experimenters via USPS. There is much rejoicing.

2. One (1) bowl is smoked. Okay, maybe 5 or so.

3. Liberally doused my work area with Lysol, waited 30 seconds or so for it to settle, then ripped the box open like an Afghani with a bag of Ruffles.

4. Composed myself, misted with a bit more Lysol... was calmed.

5. Flame-sterilized my syringe then wiped with h2o2 soaked cotton ball.

6. Since the bags I received from Sporeworks must have just missed the "self healing injector site" shippings, I swabbed a portion of the bag about 3" above where the substrate leveled off with h2o2.

7. Innoculated the first bag at the h2o2 swabbed site, then immed. taped over hole.

8. Repeated steps from flame-sterilize on until all bags were done. (All 4, lol...)

9. Manipulated the substrate within the bags, making sure not to "pop" them. (To incorporate spores completely.)

10. Put them to bed in the box they came in, in a dark 80's-ish area.

11. Smoked another bowl or so with my buddy and ate gyros and a greek salad.

12. Slept like I drank an Ambien smoothie...

I would love to see this turn into an "all Myco-Bag" reporting thread!

Anyone game? We could move it to Pics for when the inevitable happens...

Peas,

Slo

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #563428 - 02/26/02 04:51 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

heheheheh my friend just started 4 more Maz last night as well...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
NOT recommending Mycobags [Re: SouthernGent]
    #563567 - 02/26/02 08:42 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Bought four Mycobags from the SporeWorks and innoculated on 2/17/02 with four different syringes form the Hawkseye. All four bags show ZERO mycelial growth and two are innundated with green mold. Cost: $55 with no ROI (return on investment.)

On 2/19/02 I innoculated four patch filter bags (purchased from Dr. Bluethumbs) of about the same size and amount of substrate, using the same 4 syringes and "sterile" conditions. All four bags show good mycelial growth and no sign of contaminations. I used no impulse sealer, just folded and pinched shut with an ACCO 5/8" binder clip. My home substrate looked much healthier from the start. The Mycobags seemed to have way too much vermiculite. My recipe was composed of 2 parts finch seed, 1 part cooked barley, 1 part vermiculite plus about 4-5 parts water. Cost: $6 plus about 2 hours to prepare, autoclave and clean up.

Now I could have been sloppy on my techniques, but I flamed the needle and swabbed the innoculation point with isopropyl and immediately taped the hole. I performed the operation inside a fresh garbage bag heavily sprayed with Lysol.
I used the same techniques and syringes on both batches.

Would like some feedback from the vendor or others on this. I will post some pics if requested.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (02/26/02 05:15 PM)

Offlinewindex
old hand
    #563614 - 02/26/02 09:37 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

instead of wiping the area and injecting and taping, it would probably be a better idea to wipe then inject like a nurse would, put the sterile cotton ball back over the needle and remove the needle then tape the cotton ball down. I figure they have a reason for doing it when they inject us, might be of some use here too.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: NOT recommending Mycobags [Re: Swami]
    #563696 - 02/26/02 10:55 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: NOT recommending Mycobags [Re: psilocyber]
    #563706 - 02/26/02 11:05 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

InvisibleRichard_Simmons
Stranger

Re: Vendor Wars? [Re: psilocyber]
    #563735 - 02/26/02 11:37 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Dirty syringes from The Hawks Eye? This is the first time I have ever heard of this, funny how it comes from a competing vendor who just had his own products quality questioned.

--------------------
"Don't eat that"

Invisiblesloluva

Re: Vendor Wars? [Re: Richard_Simmons]
    #563765 - 02/26/02 12:09 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

That's a cheap shot, Psilo has a valid point. Believe me, if Sporeworks provided both the syringe and bag and they failed, they would replace them. I speak from experience, they are a class act. Having said that, I am also going to try Dr. Bluethumbs' bags as well.

Why all the petty crap, isn't this supposed to be fun?

Peas,

Slo

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #563774 - 02/26/02 12:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Great... they moderate the vendor forum to prevent vendor flame wars forcing all the vendor flame wars to migrate to another forum.

Maybe we need a flame forum... of course I need to flame myself now for posting this in cultivation instead of suggestions. :-)

'course, knowing me, this is the suggestion forum and I just don't realize it. -grin-

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #563778 - 02/26/02 12:19 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

damn look what the cats drug in. Its Barry_Manilow... Barry as usual you miss the point. I think psilocyber is saying that anything is possible but if the spores would have been his then he would stand behind a total guarantee. Hell the spores may have been awesome and the bags may have been great.. there could have been some seapage at the injection site that caused the contam. Bottom line is sporeworks apparently sells a shit load of bags and spores and most of US customers have had success and are happy. The laws of average are on the side of sporeworks.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Mycobags vs. Swami Bags [Re: Richard_Simmons]
    #563809 - 02/26/02 12:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Please note that I am not blaming the SporeWorks for my failure, but would like to solve this mystery.

Here is a picture of the Mycobag 9 days after innoculation. There is no visible mycelium. 2 of the 4 bags looked like this.

The following picture was typical of 2 of the 4 Mycobags permeated with the dreaded green mold.

This is a closeup of the bottom of the "non-moldy, but unproductive" bag in picture 1. I wonder if the chocolate-brown spots are bacterial, but they don't seem to be spreading so must be an artefact of PCing the substrate... Note that the bag itself looks crinkled and slightly opaque, sort of like wax paper. Now compare that to the glossy plastic on the following pictures. Not saying it means anything, but it is different.

This image is typical of all 4 Swami-Bags(tm); healthy growth with good moisture content.

The final image is a closeup of the Swami-Bag(tm). Everything is looking good!

--------------------

Edited by Swami (02/26/02 05:14 PM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Mycobags vs. Swami Bags [Re: Swami]
    #563830 - 02/26/02 01:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I think I already I mentioned it, but wanted to reiterate that the Swami-Bags(tm) were NOT sealed. One would think that would increase the chance of contamination, but apparently not.

Bags were PCed already folded and binder-clipped, so that they were never opened after sterilization.

Footnote 1: if you do use binder clips (available at any stationers), be sure to tape the wire part as it can get hot enough to melt the plastic.

Footnote 2: I see no need of vermiculite in the filter-patch bags. This is not spoken with great authority, but from limited experience and understanding.

The purpose of vermiculite seems to be two-fold.

1. To hold moisture.

2. To allow space for mycelial growth by preventing clumping.

As the bags are sealed, moisture loss is minimum. I found little clumping using the combination of barley and finch food. I precooked both to get the water amount just right.

Vermiculite is non-nutritive and takes up space. It would take a strong argument to convince me to use it again.

Even my jars, which do not have the advantage of the bags for easily redisrtibuting mycelium, seem to be doing very well with no vermiculite.

Final note to newbies wanting to use jars over bags; I strongly recommend the one pint jars. Half pints take a lot of handling with little yield. Quart jars seem too big and unwieldy to me and colonize too slowly.

--------------------

OfflineHumboldtHort
Re: Mycobags vs. Swami Bags [Re: Swami]
    #563849 - 02/26/02 01:38 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

>Vermiculite is non-nutritive and takes up space. It would take a strong argument to convince me to use it again.
Vermiculite is of no nutritional value, eh? Vermiculite is a shrink-swell clay that has a high cation exchange capacity which means it is capable of holding may essential elements. Fungi go for the sugars in organic matter, but require other elements as well.

--------------------
A gram is better than a damn

Offlinehomage_etd
Re: Mycobags vs. Swami Bags (yea right) [Re: HumboldtHort]
    #563875 - 02/26/02 02:27 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Wow swami. You are really ignorant to the fact that the Shroomery and other mycological sites are the grounds for the mushroom cultivating community. You and people of your nature completely contradict the ideals most of us cultivators attempt to instill in this community. So id like to ask you to take your agression and greed elswhere please.

--------------------
*shrugs*

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: Mycobags vs. Swami Bags (yea right) [Re: homage_etd]
    #563892 - 02/26/02 02:39 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well said homeage. I do have one question for swami though. I noted he used the TM sign when talking about the "swami bags". I have never been able to obtain nor do I know anyone else who could obtain a trademark in under 2 weeks. LOL.. so whats up with its use?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Mycobags vs. Swami Bags (yea right) [Re: SouthernGent]
    #563915 - 02/26/02 03:02 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

From the USPTO web site:

Trademark rights begin as soon as a mark is used. This protection is generally limited to the geographic area in which the actual use is taking place. To obtain protection throughout the United States, a trademark must be federally registered with the U.S. patent and trademark office. This requires use of the mark in commerce which may be regulated by congress, generally comprising interstate and international commerce. An applicant may file an intent to use application prior to such use in commerce if he or she has a bona fide intent to use the mark in trade and commerce in the future.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds