Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSugaree
Stranger
Loc: EastNorthEastCoast
ZAYParinoid: light and contamination
    #543561 - 02/07/02 10:15 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have quite a few questions about my contamination in different stages, and the amount of light for the cakes. I would say I have more of a green thumb, as I have many gardens, but I went for the mushroom trip to see how it goes. I have faith in that maternal urge to be able to make things grow.
Anyway.......
Using Erowid suggestions with rice cakes, and cooler method with bubblers, I had another guide but he's seeming to be less than clueless
Do the jars need oxygen or co2? can I wrap them in heavy plastic?
None of my dozen test jars seem to have any contamination, I did take extreme measures to be as sterile as possible. IS Change in color the only bell ringer for contamination?
I have birthed 3 jars so far. There is a small circle of rice cake showing. I thought this was from adding a tube of wet vermiculate down the center. Now I am worried about contamination. IS Infection more likely or Ineviable?
Am I correct? = jar-high heat, low humidity cake- high humidity and heat?
Will the drainage hole at the bottom possibly cause CONTAMINATion?
Light issues
Should I see the cakes all the time with a small amount of light, or keep them in the dark accept for those 1-2 hours per day?
>should this be a scheduled presitation of light, or can it be random?
Lastly,....
How can I reduse the noise level of the bubblers?

sorry to have blasted so many questions before you, but I can't seem to find specific questions in guide books, and I'm not experienced in the lab.
feedback to anything is greatly appreciated.
thank you dearly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
Re: ZAYParinoid: light and contamination [Re: Sugaree]
    #543579 - 02/07/02 10:27 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The jars need O2, because a build up in CO2 will cause your jars to stall. I would not recommend wrapping the jars in plastic because there is really no need for it. Just keep them in a warm, dark place. Cantamination is most easily noticable because the colors of it are usually different than the mycelium or substrate. however, contamination can also be detected by smelling your jars. THIS COULD BE DANGEROUS THOUGH, read Jaybin's post about smelling his jars. contamination is not really an issue once the entire cake is colonized, so i would not worry to much about that drainage hole at the bottom of your fruiting chamber; worry more about bugs getting in through it. The light issue is not really something to get to concerned about. Your fruiting cakes need as little as a few minutes of light a day, but try to keep the colonizing cakes in a dark area. I hope some of that helps.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #543588 - 02/07/02 10:29 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

You might not get contamed if the mycelium can take over the brf quickly. I have never used a bubbler so I dont know. I would advise casing I think you would be happier with your results. Since you have a green thumb Im sure your familiar with cloning trays(also called seedling trays), well at hydro stores they carry taller domes which is perfect for mushrooms. Provides all the humidity you need and just fan once a day cause the domes hold enough air. Also if you decide to case you should try coco fiber it works great.

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #543891 - 02/07/02 03:35 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Please look through the FAQ. It is very informative.

http://shroomery.org/faq

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineSugaree
Stranger
Re: ZAYParinoid: light and contamination [Re: CuckoosNest]
    #558407 - 02/21/02 10:17 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Now heres my latest problem...... There are no pins or mushrooms forming!
Is my humidity too low?
I give them light, bubblers, mists and fans each day, and southern temp of 75, what am I doing wrong??????
The cakes have been in their cooler homes for almost 2 weeks. Is the time past? the moment gone? can I still make these baby cakes produce?
well hoping for a positive reply. ./

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #558513 - 02/21/02 12:18 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

relax; your 'moment' has not passed. you need a lot of humidity for cakes. 95% or more in most cases. the walls of your terrarium should be covered with humidity and dots of moisture.
i assume your egrowing psilocybe cubensis of some strain; you never specified.
if you have completely white colonized cakes sitting in a terrarium at 75 degrees the only other thing you need is humidity. yes also fan regularly but in your case id say 90% sure its humidity. you say you give them 'bubblers'? you mean is there a bubbler or 2 set up in your terrarium? it may be pumping too much air and even moving thru the water giving off air that could easily be under 90% humidity. fix this with a good bubbler stone that produces very small bubbles. i dont find bubblers to be necessary at all; unless you have the whole setup completely correct bubblers will tend to keep RH too low for cakes at all costs. not sasying its impossible; just want to say that perlite is cheaper (no electricity) easier (just put it in the terrarium on the bottom) and fool proof (the only low RH possible is when you fan. other than that there is no air exchange which would guarantee that what is in there gets good and humid within a minute or 10 of you sealing it back off again)
shroomies dont need a hella lot of air exchange; they can actually perform very well with slightly higher co2 levels than the normal atmosphere. no idea what atmospheric PPM of CO2 or ideal CO2 for mushies but in my experience fanning is only crucial for pinning.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineSugaree
Stranger
humidity hates me [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #559515 - 02/22/02 09:40 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I am using P cubensis in the cooler with bubblers and the stones, I mist the drip tray daily, and this is when I figure they get new air. There is not moisture on the walls of the cooler at all.
I read about the perlite method, but how could I transfer at this point? I have wire mesh on the bottom of the terrariuns. Could I put the perlite to fill in there?
My cakes have the lids still under them, it made it easy not to touch the cake.
Thanks for your help

OfflineNomez
journeyman
Re: humidity hates me [Re: Sugaree]
    #559537 - 02/22/02 09:59 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

you can... and probly should... put perlite in the bottem of the terrarium, under your mesh id assume. it will make the humidification issue much simpler. lotsa humidity little/no misting. you could possibly get a temp/humidity gage. makes it easier. fanning once a day may not be enough...
just my 2 cents

--------------------
i wish i could give out my thoughts
let someone else feel them
and experience who i am
its difficult
sometimes impossible
always impossible?
i hope not

OfflineSugaree
Stranger
Re: humidity hates me [Re: Nomez]
    #562808 - 02/25/02 04:27 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

just need 2 more cents.
Should I keep the bubblers in there with the perlite?
I like the bubblers, they make it look very scientific, ah ha!~

OfflineSugaree
Stranger
Re: remoisture cakes??? [Re: Sugaree]
    #587998 - 03/24/02 10:08 AM (22 years, 9 days ago)

I have finally gotten my cakes to live in rich humidity!
I had to convert an old canning room below ground, and turn the entire room into a moist environment. I had to take the cooler tops off, add 2 humidifers, heater, buckets of water, not to mention wet perlite, bubblers, and layers of insolation.
BUT finally, mushrooms have started popping up. I am quite worried about the moisture left in the cake, if any.
When I look to when I birthed my first jars, Feb. 2, it seems not enough moisture would be left in them. But theis is the cooler doing the best, with the oldest ones. I provided my cakes with reservoir canals, so I could easily rehydrate. Should I and How much do I put in? Do I have to put it in the bottom of the cakes, or can I not really disturb them and shot water in from the top?

as always thank very much.

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
Re: remoisture cakes??? [Re: Sugaree]
    #588314 - 03/24/02 05:10 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

in the future instead of all the irrigation canals and such, check out the dunk-tek....some swear by it....others dont

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate