Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethosemynikes
Gangster
 User Gallery

Loc: CA, monterey bay
Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens?
    #5623186 - 05/12/06 10:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

hey i know its early in the season for this but i was curious what the most far south find, of psilocybe cyanescens has been recorded. including; pelliculosa, stuntzi, cyanofibs, and panaeolus subbalteatus. i know most of these can be found as far south as san francisco but i was wondering if there has been any recordings as far as san lou obispo, or even santa barabra. any word is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Loc: 埼玉県&...
Re: Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens? [Re: thosemynikes]
    #5623396 - 05/13/06 12:00 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

There have been claims on these boards of Psilocybe cyanescens being found in Santa Barbara but I haven't seen any pictures of these finds. The furthest south I have seen a report from was Santa Cruz. Another report of friscosa (cyanascens complex) was posted from Monterey. One report of a solitary semi from the San Francisco peninsula. Panaeolus subbalteatus I would assume grow fairly far south (San Diego)?

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Offlinethosemynikes
Gangster
 User Gallery

Re: Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens? [Re: baycafe]
    #5642502 - 05/17/06 04:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

friscosas! my friend alex who found the original patch of them came up with that name, glad to see it in affect, he'll be stoked. but thats awesome about cyanescens in santa barbara i bet the people that found that were stoked. i live in monterey and have been hunting for two years, this last year much more educated and ive found some spots this summer that i hope will blossum in the season, hope to find some cyanescens in monterey bay because i dont believe that has been recorded yet.

Edited by thosemynikes (05/17/06 04:28 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens? [Re: thosemynikes]
    #5651503 - 05/19/06 08:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, baycafe is right. I saw those posts too. Santa barbara does seem a little too far south, but then again, we're always suprised at the adaptations around here in the Bay Area. Nobody ever thought Azurescens could grow down here naturally. transplants have been confirm, the wild patch, not likely confirmed until November.

About those Friscosas, I probably should mention how this taxonomy works. As far as we can tell, this is  ost likely a new un-named species. It's too far removed from cyanescens proper, and it doesn't match the pacific northwest cyanofibrillosa either, microscopically. It's closer to cyanescens under the microscope than it is to cyanofibrillosa..

I'm sure many people think whoever discovered them first might get naming rights, to call them friscosas if you want. I thought so too, but unfortunately, it's not like that. My first proof is 2001 in photos, but whoever names this new species will be the one who gets a paper published about it first, not necessarily who discovers it first.

that is, a paper, published in a scientific journal. The most likely person to do that is Peter W at SF State University, connected with the SF Mycological Society. There has to be many samples examined over a period of time to be able to publish a paper on this new species. If it is a new species, and we're pretty sure it is by now.

It's mostly a matter of documenting the differences between this and the rest of the cyanescens complex over enough time, to make sure that it is seperate. It's not easy tho because they are so close to cyans in every way, except for shape...They even grow in the same patches as cyans sometimes.

The best word I can think of is mutation, but Peter is hesitant to agree with that because it implies unnatural forces at work...Maybe an errant gene?..who knows?. Stamets isn't even sure of this either. why the cylonic mycelium?.....very strange.

Anyway, I personally think Friscosas is a fine name, but some San Franciscans might have a problem with it. (psilocybe sanfrancisco) I hope one day there will be a poll for naming if a paper is published on this. It wouldn't be the first time a species was named after this city (sourdough).

But either way, it probably won't be until November at least when some  test patches fruit, and maybe more specimens come in for examination.

And of course, if you can, become a member of the MSSF.org and if you find any, bring a sample in.

That's how a new species gets a name :smile:

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens? [Re: auweia]
    #5651529 - 05/19/06 08:52 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

"friscosas"  some of these caps are 4 inches across. Half of one is fine for most people :dancing:

Offlinethosemynikes
Gangster
 User Gallery

Re: Far south recording of psilocybe cyanescens? [Re: auweia]
    #5652015 - 05/20/06 12:26 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the info auweia i never knew it was that complex, its good to see you on the forum i havnt seen you posting for a while. i remeber when i saw alex in photography class and was like hahhaha everyones saying friscosas on the forum and he was like i knoww i hope that shit sticks..i dunno bout getting published but maybe a nickname. hope to see a lot more of them in the season.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix