Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Growing Shrooms: The Newbie Project
    #557154 - 02/20/02 05:26 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I thought I would start a thread here entitled "Growing Shrooms: The Newbie Project". Here I am going to follow along a friends attempt at growing shrooms for his first time. He mixed up a subtrate of Vermiculite and Organic Whole Wheat flour and poured it evenly into 13, 1/2 pint mason jars. He placed them high on a shelf in his room and keeps warm air in his room with the door shut. He doesn't know the exact temperature, but it is warm in his room. After 1 week, he noticed colonization on 2 jars, one jar was 35% colonized and another 10%, the rest showed no signs of colonization. a few days later, the 35% was now 50%, but he noticed a few small tiny green spots. Oh no! He decided since it was a contam, he would just case it to test out his skills and see if he even could grow shrooms from a casing (He was not going to eat this, he only wanted to see if he could grow them). He cased the 1 jar, and cut out the tiny contam dots. The chunks were actually pretty big and were spread far apart from each other in the case. The casing was in a sterilite container and the bottom layer was 50/50 vermiculite and potting soil. The top layer was just potting soil. He gave it a few more sprays inside and on the lid for humidity, and he closed the lid and wrapped it in a blanket. He put it back on the shelf. He checked on it every day, and the very next day he saw white thin mycelium poking up and he got excited. He put it back, but checked on it every day. For the next week it got less and less and finally dissappeared. Nothing grew, he says it is probably because of either the contam, or because he opened the lid every day when it was just the mycelium starting to grow, and they need a buildup of CO2. Anyhow, he lifted the soil, and all the mycelium were dark yellowy brown and wet, so he threw it out and marked it down as failure. Now, He had 11 more jars left. None of them were contamed, and all of them looked at least 15% colinized. 2 of them looked 75% colonized. He decided to try his hand at casing again with the 2 jars that were most colonized. This time he crumbled up the subtrate into tiny tiny pieces which spread evently across the casing, then covered it up evenly. He noticed this time, that the mycelium had that magic mushroom smell to them that the first jar did not. He took this as a good sign of the mycelium being healthy! We hope he is right. He sprayed the inside of the case only a few more times, then sprayed the lid for humidity. He is wrapped it in a blanket and put it on his warm shelf, and this time, he is not going to open it at all for 1 week, at which point he is going to take the lid off, give it 10 sprays of misting water and give it some light and move it down a few shelves to lower temperature a little bit to start pinning. He will keep me posted, and I'll have his results up here. Hopefully he might include some pictures of what is going on, he is not sure if he will be able to though. he will try. Any suggestions of what he should do would be appreciated. If he has left anything out, let me know and I'll ask him. What else can he do to help things along and make sure everything goes according to plan? Does it sound like he is doing the right things right now? He is following "Shroom Wizards Grow Guide" I think. He will keep everyone updated on how his growing is coming and what is happening.

Edited by Zylo (02/20/02 06:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
Re: Growing Shrooms: The Newbie Project [Re: Zylo]
    #559400 - 02/22/02 07:37 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

the neighbors iguana is trying the shroomwizards method to, he innoculated his jars ( vem, rye flour, honey, water) wednsday. he is using the hawaiian strain. so any info on your friends work would be appreciated, i'll pass it along, i am fluent in iguana!
peace

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Re: Growing Shrooms: The Newbie Project [Re: ChromeCrow]
    #559798 - 02/22/02 02:27 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Jars today are all around 35% colonized, the cased jars are just peaking out above the soil with some white, but nothing significant yet. I'm debating wether or not to keep following shroom wizards grow guide, or to actually place this casing in a terrarium when the time comes. 50/50 Vermiculite/Potting soil was used as the base of the case, and just potting soil was placed on top (according to SWGG). He says the soil will retain enough moisture for the shrooms without needing a terrarium, but I looked up some other posts on the SWGG and most say it didn't work out to well. Has anyone had good success following his GG? Does anyone think a terrarium would work better? Any input is appreciated. More updates to come.

Offlinehairs
old hand
    #559839 - 02/22/02 03:03 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i thnk a terrarium with wet perilite would do nicely

--------------------
If I didn't have such a great drive (golf) the American people would thing I wasn't working so hard. George W. Bush

InvisibleZylo
journeyman
    #561242 - 02/24/02 02:27 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

My friend decided to throw the casing into a terrarium yesterday. There was lots of mycelium poking through, and it was very even! Very clean looking. He put it in a larger translucent container, and on the bottom, he put perlite soaked with water with hydrogen peroxide mixed in. Then he just put the casing on it, misted all around and inside, and threw it in a large clear bag with the inside of the bag misted first, tied it up and put it under the light for maybe 8 hours a day. He says he thinks he sees what appear to be the beginnings of hyphal knots, he is not sure yet but is researching it to be sure, and he'll get back to you all with more reports as they come in.

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
    #561354 - 02/24/02 07:09 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

dood, stop birthing your jars early... what the hell is wrong with you, do you want shrooms or not? your wasting substrate and your being an idiot, when you birth jars early your saying to the contamination gods.... "PLEASE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR WONDERFUL SPORES"... just wait for 100 percent, dont birth another one early... let thenm grom

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #561461 - 02/24/02 11:03 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

well lsd is right; but also being a prick about it
and your terrarium should just be a $5 rubbermaid tub from k-mart or walmart; hell with that bag youve got. if you can find a container with an opaque top and translucent base; try flipping it upside down and filling the lid w/ perlite and then the cakes/casings will get light also. MAKE SURE YOUR CAKES ARE 100% COLONIZED THOUGH cant stress that enough. your casing sounds good but you should mix 50% vermiculite in the top layer with the soil also. can add hydrated lime or 1 stick or less of chalkboard chalk to lower pH and make them grow better too.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Re: Growing Shrooms: The Newbie Project [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #561555 - 02/24/02 12:32 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

A lot of Hyphal Knots are forming all over the casing now, and it is very even and clean across the whole casing. When I cased the jars, I removed all the uncolonized subtrate, and mixed the colonized subtrate into very tiny pieces crumbled up.  If you do it like that, you are just as safe from contams as if you let them 100 colonize, since you are only putting the colonized subtrate into the casing. That is my opinion from what I have seen on my casings so far. Also, I'm casing jars a little early just because I want to have some practice in casing and what to expect.  I'm not worried about losing jars. If I do, it's no big deal. I have patience for another batch :smile: No worries. LSD, calm down man, yelling isn't cool. We are all here to share information and help each other. Not call each other names.  More updates to come, I'm trying to initiate pinning. I'll  give my complete setup later tonight, I made a modification for the better!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale