Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Loc: Nappy Dub
My Idea Sky Island
    #5612275 - 05/10/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This is just a crazy idea I had

A small town in the middle of the atlantic raised 300 feet above sea level with beautiful lush scenery and the most friendly ppl on earth and most importantly no rules! there are no rules on Sky Island as long as it doesnt affect someones saftey.....Do certain coutries own the waters? could I legally start sky island? Would we be prosecuted for breaking laws of countries over waters?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: mungojerry]
    #5612298 - 05/10/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Have you heard, "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" ? if not, you should...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5612305 - 05/10/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

timothy leary said that yeah

Offlineezsefix
Steve
Male
Loc: The United States of Emba...
    #5612317 - 05/10/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Then there's this other crazy idea where....how in the hell would you make that happen? You'd have to be in international waters I believe, and those are generally quite deep. Building something out there that can weather storms and such, and reach the bottom of the ocean (unless you had it on floats or something, which carries it's own problems) with support beams. Not to mention you'd be unprotected by any country, so you would quite quickly be invaded by some crew of shmucks who might kill you, and would definately take all your stuff.

Plus an anarchistic society that far at sea would probably degenerate quite quickly. Oh, and don't forget about having to provide clean water, sewage treatment, electricity, internet, health care, transportation etc. etc. etc. It's a nifty idea but the people with the money to make it work aren't the kind of people who could make it work, if you catch what I'm saying.

--------------------
I am a fictional character

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: ezsefix]
    #5612343 - 05/10/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It's a better movie idea than anything really... Here's one... A city built inside of a mountain...

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5612350 - 05/10/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mungojerry said:
timothy leary said that yeah

Yeah but uhh he had a audio recording called that... it talked about what you are talking about..

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: ezsefix]
    #5612354 - 05/10/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

of course i have thought of all those things....the cost of the entire operation would be incredible and this is more of a long term goal as I plan to start my own buisness one day... and as for pirates and what not I will try non lethal ways to stop them lol... but i dont think we would be attacked the world is pretty cival right? and plus itd have to be an arial attack since after all were in the sky... but yeah some parameters would have to be taken just incase of an invasion

I think I could start off small charge $500 for a weeks stay.... kinda like a hotel thing and expand from there

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5612365 - 05/10/06 11:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #5612406 - 05/10/06 12:04 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This idea will totally work.  Sky Island in 2010.  :bongroll:

Maybe you should just rent a few of acres of land somewhere isolated and camp out over the summer?  You could get away with the same kinda stuff as Sky Island but its actually a feasible idea.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
    #5612430 - 05/10/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

While a concept of 'no rules' is a lovely concept --- its one that rarely, if ever works.

Now, lets suppose you overcame all the obsticals of actually building this, just the landmass...

- what would you do for food?
- what would you do for water? (cant go drinking salt water, need some sort of way to proccess it to make it drinkable)
- what would you do for medical aid? what if someone got sick?
- what would you do to ensure no one freeloads?
- how do you make sure everyone pulls their own weight?

when ever I see the lofty ideas of 'no rules' I cant help but roll my eyes. Even the few 'anarchy' societies that have sprung up and ended up doing well -- have eventually ended up having their own rules imposed.

You may want to read up on Christiania, a good starting point may be here

not to piss in your cereal or anything.....

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
    #5612446 - 05/10/06 12:14 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EquilibriuM said:
http://www.leary.ru/english/audio/turn_on_album/

sry man cant play zip files or somethin....Im lookin for it on limewire tho

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
    #5612452 - 05/10/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

get winzip and uncompress it

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #5612471 - 05/10/06 12:18 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

but i dont think we would be attacked the world is pretty cival right?

Trust me... You will get attacked... Wars have been fought for dumber reasons... I have no idea where you got the idea that the world was a civil place... Assuming you weren't attacked though, it would still be impossible to build such a city.

Structure:
International waters as already mentioned, tend to be deep... You wouldn't be able to build supports to raise the city that would withstand weather, waves, and currents and would still be able to touch bottom (actually it would have to decent a couple hundred feet below the bottom to properly secure it). Maintenance of this support would be virtually impossible as humans have a hard time getting down to such depths, let alone making repairs... If you were to have it on a flotation device then you'd still need wires or something anchoring it to the bottom. Again, hard to secure anchors down that deep, not to mention the wide variety of life in the ocean that will eventually (or quickly) destroy these ropes or wires.

Weather: The ocean is windy... and when it's not windy it's usually cold or boiling hot... Sometimes it's windy and cold/hot... When you're not in the middle of a hurricane of course... Also remember that wind travels faster at a higher altitude and hurricanes tend to be much more powerful over the ocean than on land... Basically your city would have to be able to stand up to the full blown force of a hurricane with nothing around to act as shelter or to take some of the strength out of the hurricane. You'd be in the middle of the ocean so help would NOT arrive soon... Bessides, you'd be in the air, help COULDN'T arrive until after the storm was gone. If your city's anchored to the bottom of the ocean then odds are a few of your anchor guides will have snapped, if the entire city hasn't been pushed out of place... Support beams would most likely snap under such conditions.

Economy:
Well... Other than maybe livestock and farming you wont have any real exports... And seeing as unpleasant weather would be both common and extreme, tourism wont be very high all year. If you had a single year where there was high hurricane warnings or something of the sorts your economy would be crippled seeing as you have no natural resources other than plants and animals. And let's face it, not many people would be willing to risk vacationing there when there's high risk of hurricanes seeing as the entire city is unprotected, no means of escape would be made available, and if something happened to the support structure the entire city would be underwater in a few hours... One can only think what would happen if a hurricane decided that specific place would be a good place to sit and build up energy...

ALTHOUGH something like this is currently being designed... While it doesn't exactly fit your idea they do want to make a glass pyramid city over the water somewhere around China to help cope with the population. Some of the problems are still being worked out, such as withstanding weather, etc but they're working on it... Another thing I heard about (from a semi-reliable source) was a city built above Hong Kong I think it was to help cope with the population... Essentially the design was a large dome above the city. Haven't varified this or looked into it myself though...

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: kaniz]
    #5612477 - 05/10/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Its not the one I was looking for anyway  :foreheadslap: I cant find the right one...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
    #5612489 - 05/10/06 12:22 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

doesnt dubai already have places like this? If not, im sure they will. Hell they are the experts and making islands.

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
    #5612502 - 05/10/06 12:24 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I got really stoned last night and thought of all these questions...

- what would you do for food?

at first we would have to buy food from america but will eventually grow everything ourselves

- what would you do for water? (cant go drinking salt water, need some sort of way to proccess it to make it drinkable)
we will have to have a filtration system of somekind

- what would you do for medical aid? what if someone got sick?
this one is a bit more tricky, i was thinking perhaps hire a doctor or someone with medical experience for emergencies but for health care you will have to go to the U.S. until we can astablish a hospital

- what would you do to ensure no one freeloads?

well innitaially it will cost $500 for a weeks stay so freeloading wont matter right then but I think maybe rent or a mutual work service would solve this problem... but for the most part as long as you are respectful on Sky Island and overpopulation is not a problem you can freeload all you want

- how do you make sure everyone pulls their own weight?

you are free to do as you wish but you must remember we are a community and if help is needed than you should help.... i expect every visitor and resident of sky island to be fairly intelligent and respectful

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5612512 - 05/10/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

What you want can be summarized in three words:

DECOMISSIONED OIL RIG

When the oil's gone, an oil rig becomes a burden to an oiul company. Sometimes they are abandoned, sometimes they are scrapped entirely.

What you do is BUY one from an oil company, it wont cost much and what you buy from the oil co. is not just the hardware but also the sole legal ownership over a piece of dry land outside of territorial waters.

By buying off the company (who may claim you are squatters when you just pick an abandoined platform) you automatically become owner of the rig and with it king of your own island-state :laugh:

Quote:

and most importantly no rules!

I bet you don't visit OTD much :wink:

Pirates are best discouraged by sawing their boat in half with them on it, this is best accomplished by one of those six-barreled 25mm helicopter guns, since you own your own country in the midst of the ocean such a gadget is just a phonecall away.

You might get pirates of two kinds: rogues and governments. If you start churning out LSD by the kilo as an export product you'll likely get a daisycutter in your lap courtesy of uncle sam.

If your rig is in western waters and you keep all drugs ON the island and keep a low profile then you will probably get away with it, but if you go high profile or do it in lets say asian waters (where piracy is an occupation) then your Sky Island is doomed.

But yeah, what you want would be a decomissioned oil rig.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: Asante]
    #5612548 - 05/10/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
What you want can be summarized in three words:

DECOMISSIONED OIL RIG

When the oil's gone, an oil rig becomes a burden to an oiul company. Sometimes they are abandoned, sometimes they are scrapped entirely.

What you do is BUY one from an oil company, it wont cost much and what you buy from the oil co. is not just the hardware but also the sole legal ownership over a piece of dry land outside of territorial waters.

By buying off the company (who may claim you are squatters when you just pick an abandoined platform) you automatically become owner of the rig and with it king of your own island-state :laugh:

holy shit what a great idea. Can i pick one up on ebay? lol. Seriously though, that would be pretty badass to have your own rig.

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Re: My Idea Sky Island [Re: Asante]
    #5612592 - 05/10/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

why is otd so grrrr?.... i think its jus the shroomerys playground and doesnt represent trippers or the world most trippers are laid back and peacful not like most at the otd

and incase of hurricans i thinks somekind of retractable dome would be placed over the whole thing

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
    #5612624 - 05/10/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kaniz said:
While a concept of 'no rules' is a lovely concept --- its one that rarely, if ever works.

works at burning man every year

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale