Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemrshrums
Grain Transfer from the Masters
    #560464 - 02/23/02 07:12 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Do many people have experience with this tek?
http://www.micronmagick.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=teks.transfer

If so is it possible as it seems to only every really innoculate one set of jars and then continually pick the best jar out of the next patch of colonized jars and use it as a spawn master for you next batch of jars. It seems that this would be much easier than innoculating with syringes and having to take prints and making syringes.... .All of these steps could be illiminated. Is anyone doing this? Is it as effective and simple as it looks?
Assuming everything goes well you would also be improving your local strain by picking the best mycillium colonizer every time and using it to spawn another batch and then pick the best from the next batch and so on. How much would this actually hold true do you think?

Anyway I'm just interested in people's opinions/experiences with this tek.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehispeed67
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Grain Transfer from the Masters [Re: mrshrums]
    #560507 - 02/23/02 09:06 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I would like to see a response to this from someone also. I have 30 pints in various stages of growth that I would like to make into 60 quarts quickly...I think this would work and was thinking of using it also. I am prepping mycelium for 4 friends in the area.

--------------------
be the mushroom

Invisiblemrshrums
    #560792 - 02/23/02 04:03 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Is nobody using this tek?

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #560827 - 02/23/02 04:51 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes. Its a very old tek. Works great. I use 1 master jar for every dozen new jars. Make sure your master jar is not contaminated or you will ruin everything. I always tranfer using the oven tek and I work quickly. Also, only open the lids of the jars you're transfering to a little bit. Very easy way to turn one jar into 12. Also, they colonize MUCH faster because you instantly have many grains with mycelium on them. And dont forget to shake em up a bit after you transfer.

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Grain Transfer from the Masters [Re: bassplayer74]
    #560858 - 02/23/02 05:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes it works beautifully, and depending on how much you use to inoculate, it can colonize on par with liquid mycelium.

The bottleneck, IMO, is the inoculating environment itself. If you can do agar, you can do grain-grain transfers. But you may still be able to do grain-grain in environments -not quite- clean enough for agar.

Personally, I'd recommend a glovebox for grain-grain, though many people seem to have success with oven teks.

In that link, most everything is laid out nicely but I don't think the technique is emphasized enough.

Be personally clean, showered.
Have the house heater off, or at least have the vents/doors in the room closed to cut down on new air influx.
Lysol liberally; latex gloves are nice, though I often am lazy and just lysol my hands [washing immediately afterward].
WORK QUICKLY. Have your motions planned out before cracking the fresh grain jars. Make sure the spawn jars are shaken beforehand, and the lids loosened.
Try to make the time that the fresh jar is opened less than half a second.

Most people find they can cut out one or several of these precautions, but most of them are really easy and go far in ensuring you don't have to repeat the pain-in-the-ass sterilization.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains