Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Dragon's First Grow (Cambodian harvest time pics)
    #5606161 - 05/08/06 06:54 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ok guys, thought I would share the progress of my grow so far and use this thread to document it fully.
I ordered 7 types of strains, Thai Elephant Dung, GT, Hawaiian, Cambodians, Ecuadorians, African Transkeis and Puerto Ricans.
But then I checked the laws in my area and realized that cultivation of cubensis mushrooms is not allowed, so I decided to grow some edible ones instead...
I've spent countless hours reading up on the subject, and dropped over $500 on this project so far. Me and my room mate began by building a glove box with an aquarium, plexiglass, gloves and duct tape. We sterilized a spare bedroom (w/out carpet), sealed the doors and vents and window with duct tape and trash bags (trash bags over the window and vent) and sterilized the room (walls, floor, ceiling) with a bleach solution and sprayed ourselves down with an alcohol solution. We had masks but the fumes were still killer. I was also running 2 HEPA filters in the room. I had 12 jars of WBS prepared, and put them in the glove box and sealed it. Also in the glove box I had a spray bottle of alcohol, a lighter and a marker to mark which jars had which spores. I only used 3 types of spores to begin with. Sterilized pretty much every surface in the gbox with the alcohol. Sterilized the needles with flame, then alcohol, and inoculated 12 jars. Then put them in a TiT type incubator to wait, keeping the temp in the low 80's.
Petri dishes finally came today, so tomorrow we mix up some MEA and make petri dishes, and do multispores with those.
I know we probably went a little overboard with the sterile room, but other than that, anyone have any questions or comments?
Anything is appreciated!
Dragon

Edited by DragonChaser (07/10/06 03:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: DragonChaser]
    #5606225 - 05/08/06 07:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

yup, totally overkill, especially with a glove box :smile: 

it makes you feel like you're doing some kind of important scientific work though and that gets you in the right mindset haha    :thumbup:

good luck... and remember if yer gonna go so overboard on cleanliness, many of those fumes are flammable.  many a folk made a fireball in their glovebox playing with alcohol and lysol and then flaming a needle :smile:

Offlineshroomballa
ShroomBalla
 User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #5606522 - 05/08/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

damn that's sterile!!!!  I love my glovebox, because I don’t really have to clean the surrounding area at all!!  But if you report back with any contam issues, i'll be very surprised :eek:

--------------------
Anything I say is fictional. Duh.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#5607024 - 05/08/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:

it makes you feel like you're doing some kind of important scientific work though and that gets you in the right mindset haha    :thumbup:

I kept thinking the same thing- that I was a scientist or something doing work with crazy dangerous or important chemicals or living organisms... which, I suppose is true haha.
My plans for the next step are to use the jars to spawn to h/poo in some of those autoclavable myco bags with the breathing holes...  I haven't decided what kind of fruiting chamber I'm going to set up though, keep switching back and forth between a simple tub with a casing and a cool mist humidifier attached to it, or building a mini-greenhouse indoors.  Probably going to go with the greenhouse though.
Oh, and I'm using pint jars.  My current pressure cooker isn't big enough for quarts I don't think (havent tried) but it DOES get up to 15 PSI.
I can't tell if my jars are too moist or not, I soaked WBS for about 16 hours I'd say, then strained and put into jars with a spoonfull of vermiculite at the bottom.
I'll be damn sure to report back at the first sign of mycelium though, and hopefully I'll be able to post pics too.
Dragon

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (05/08/06 11:12 PM)

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
    #5607062 - 05/08/06 11:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You know, reading this growlog I have this vision of Bruce Willis in Twelve Monkeys when he's preparing to head outside.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
    #5607067 - 05/08/06 11:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

need/should to soak longer. unless you simmer or steap(toss into boilint g water take off the buner and let sit with the lid.)

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

Invisiblebcfresh

Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: skeletor]
    #5607129 - 05/08/06 11:52 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like its going grand. Good luck :wink:

--------------------
bcf

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: bcfresh]
    #5607154 - 05/09/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

um, wow.  Were you planning to perform open heart surgery later too? :wink:

Couple of tips.  Being sterile is as easy as being clean.  Before doing any work that does not require a glove box, like innoculating a jar, clean your work area with lysol and rubbing alcohol.  Use the lysol first and let it settle as you prepare to do your work.  I like to use my kitchen as my work space, i spray all surfaces with lysol, hit the sinks and garbage disposal, trash can, and floor around the workspace.  I wipe the counter with alcohol, wash my hands, wash my hands with alcohol, and after it evaporates perform the work. 

It takes me about 5 min to sterilize my workspace.  Good luck with your grow man. :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: skeletor]
    #5608043 - 05/09/06 09:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

skeletor said
need/should to soak longer. unless you simmer or steap(toss into boilint g water take off the buner and let sit with the lid.)

We poured hot water onto the seed. Just hot water from the tap, not boiling or anything, and it had stopped absorbing water by the time we put it into the jars, so I assumed it had absorbed its maximum amount of water it could.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
    #5608646 - 05/09/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

oh ya your probably ok then. taps water can be pretty hot at least mine is. you steeped for many many hours im sure your at saturation.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#5619251 - 05/11/06 10:15 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

First signs of mycelial growth showed up today in one of the Hawaiian and one of the Cambodian jars. Also, got petri dishes and autoclavable spawn bags in the mail. I set up a martha-style fruiting chamber today as well. Going to get some more jars going with some of the other syringes (Ecuadorian, African Transkei, and Thai Elephant Dung), cook up some agar plates, and get a-hoppin while the first set of jars continues to colonize!
More updates, and pics to come once the jars are interesting enough to photograph.
Dragon

Edit- also, got a bigger pressure cooker coming in the mail, 22 quart that goes up to 30 psi. Lot better than the 6 qt i have now, that only goes to 15 psi...

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (05/11/06 11:01 PM)

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #5619331 - 05/11/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Dragon:

you seem to have absorbed information well.
you seem to be confident in your approach and patient as well.
you are going with good teks and braving the semi-difficult early.
over-sterilizing can't really happen. Once you do it more you will know what is vital and what isn't.
I'm guessing your outcomes will be very impressive for a first attempt.
Shrooms to you and keep us posted.

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: monstermitch]
    #5619432 - 05/11/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks man.  :thumbup:
Dragon

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
    #5619656 - 05/11/06 11:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
First signs of mycelial growth showed up today in one of the Hawaiian and one of the Cambodian jars. Also, got petri dishes and autoclavable spawn bags in the mail. I set up a martha-style fruiting chamber today as well. Going to get some more jars going with some of the other syringes (Ecuadorian, African Transkei, and Thai Elephant Dung), cook up some agar plates, and get a-hoppin while the first set of jars continues to colonize!
More updates, and pics to come once the jars are interesting enough to photograph.
Dragon

Edit- also, got a bigger pressure cooker coming in the mail, 22 quart that goes up to 30 psi. Lot better than the 6 qt i have now, that only goes to 15 psi...

WTF mall you going to! I want to find all that stuff at my mall. What stores in particular

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

Invisiblemonstermitch

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: Babo911]
    #5619661 - 05/11/06 11:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I read the work mail, like post office.

not mall, like shopping.

nice bulk grow going babo911, I have one exactly similar going right now but I pasteurized the coir and the critter country.

Good luck

--------------------

Invisiblemonstermitch

Folding@home Statistics
    #5619667 - 05/11/06 11:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

mail - mall

work - word

:bongload:

eyes crossing...

--------------------

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
    #5619747 - 05/12/06 12:12 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

sorry i was confused to the max, I was all excited that the MALL sold bags and PCers

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

Invisiblemonstermitch

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dragon's First Grow [Re: Babo911]
    #5619798 - 05/12/06 12:31 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

yeah that would rock.

A myco-store right beside filenes near the food court.

would be killer

--------------------

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#5621510 - 05/12/06 02:39 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Checked the jars again today (4 days after inoculation), all 4 of the Cambodians are showing signs of colonization (I guess people aren't kidding when they say Cambodians are fast colonizers), one of the Golden Teachers and one of the Hawaiians are showing signs.  Everything is moving along nicely.  :smile:
Dragon

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (05/12/06 03:41 PM)

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#5677377 - 05/26/06 02:44 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Here are some pics... all 4 Cambodians are pretty much fully colonized,
all 4 GTs show good growth
only one Hawaiian is ready to be birthed

and the other three show almost no growth. I was thinking that maybe the Hawaiians have a bacterial infection, but I'm not entirely sure because growth is starting its just going very slowly. Oh well, I'm still new to this. Made a second incubation chamber (and yes I realize the temp is only at about 75, that pic was taken right after I had set it up)

inoculated 24 more jars, so up to 36.
There's also a pic of 2 agar cultures I have, but neither have very good rhizomorphic growth, so I think I'm just going to chalk it up as a failed experiment. Theres also a lot of condensation in them. Guess I need to let the agar cool more before I pour it. Also need to find something other than duct tape to seal it with.

Edit- also, forgot to mention, prepared 6 myco bags with birdseed, so I can spawn a jar to each bag, and then spawn the bags to horse manure. More pics to come.
Dragon

Second Edit- Just wanted to update without bumping the thread up... Spawned 3 jars to myco bags in a 1 to 4 ratio 2 days ago (today being the 29th). Using WBS in the bags. Significant growth already. Used one hawaiian and 2 cambodians for this. Getting ready to start LC tomorrow using Agar's baby bottle method. Also got a nicer pressure cooker than the one I had, a nice 22 quart off ebay that goes up to 30 psi.
(Another edit. Did 3 more bags and started on LC. Used Agars easy LC tek with the baby bottles. Mycelium is already showing. Picked up some manure today and I'm letting it dry out in the sun. Tomorrow will hopefully post pics of my spawn bags. Some of the 24 new jars are showing signs of growth as well.)

--------------------
My name is Mud

Edited by DragonChaser (06/04/06 08:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract