Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
recommended psychedelic books?
    #5600526 - 05/07/06 09:50 AM (18 years, 27 days ago)

so heres the deal, I have about 100$ to spend on my psychedelic library tomorrow. I'm going to be going to barnes and noble to pick them up. so far im looking on picking up some books by ralph metzner, and terence mckenna, as well as this book called acid dreams by martin a. lee, and bruce shlain. supposedly its the history of LSD (a gift for my girlfriend) is there any other recommendations that I should pick up? i've been searching barnes and noble.com but its not a guarantee that they will be in stock. some other guys i have written down that i would like to inspect is rupert sheldrake, ralph abraham, this new psychedelic philosopher named daniel pinchbeck, and timothy leary. I would preferably like to pick up 2 or 3 books at least, without paying over 20$ a book if I can help it. I have ebooks but they hurt my eyes to read after a while.

so, any suggestions?

I've already read and own DMT: the spirit molecule, by rick strassman. Also don juan: a yaqui way of knowledge, by carlos casteneda.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5600535 - 05/07/06 09:53 AM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
..... I have ebooks but they hurt my eyes to read after a while......

I absolutely hate to read ebooks. Give a real book anyday.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinejonnyjonjonjon
CrackBadger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Pharm
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #5600665 - 05/07/06 10:39 AM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Psychedelics Encyclopedia by Peter Stafford, Plants of the Gods by Albert Hoffman, PHARMAKO/DYNAMIS, PHARMAKO/POEIA.

I learned alot from these books.

--------------------
Mother goose said to the swan "Is that PCP your cooking?" and the swan replied "Yes, yes it is.

Offlineagoutihead
Male User Gallery

Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: jonnyjonjonjon]
    #5600842 - 05/07/06 12:00 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

that book by martin lee should be good... if i remember correctly, he was one of the speakers that really stood out at the symposium to me. (i think im thinking of the right guy)

check out stuff by jeremy narby as well.

ive noticed most times book stores dont carry the book you probably want, but seem to have an array of different psychedelic books.

--------------------
"When I'm on LSD and hearing something that's pure rhythm, it takes me to another world and into anther brain state where I've stopped thinking and started knowing" - Kevin Herbert

"Psychedelics let you see the world through a child's eye."

"Experience the liquid realm..."

"The evolution of mankind is in the alteration of consciousness" - Dr. Albert Hofmann

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5600847 - 05/07/06 12:04 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:Also don juan: a yaqui way of knowledge, by carlos casteneda.

Why dont you get the next 2 don Juan books for starters?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5601073 - 05/07/06 01:38 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

I have ebooks but they hurt my eyes to read after a while.

Thats why God invented the printer :laugh:

I usually print 4 pages to a side, two sides to a sheet, and you can hack a 240 page ebook into a document you can staple in that way.
For some books there is no alternative but to turn an eBook into hardcopy. They just aren't available in physical form.

For instance the document under the link "BEST TRIPPING MANUAL" in my sig. One of the best practical books ever written about psychedelic sessions, and that in the 1950s! I've attached the PDF. Even if you print it fullsize you got a wonderful hardcopy book for a mere $5!
Its MUST HAVE.

Remember that a copyshop with modern copiers can turn a PDF document into hardcopy for you at under $5/50 doublesided sheets, which if you use 4-to-1 like I do can contain a book of 400 pages.

Use thick paper for covers, use a perforator and a string, fortify the back with ducktape and you got a wellbound book for a humble sum. I prefer perforator/string/ducktape bound books over fancy gluebacks any day, because a handmade bind won't come undone, but glue-bound books fall apart after a few times of rough handling.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (05/07/06 01:41 PM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5601401 - 05/07/06 03:17 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

to tell you the truth, don juan was an amazing book that I couldn't put down. But it all wasn't 100% true. Ide like my psychedelic library to be full and honest as best as I can get. if I have a friend or two over that are interested in learning about psychedelics, ide like to be able to lend some reliable books out to give them the right idea of things. most kids are like "oh hell yeah man, LSD, lets get fucked up!". where-as I see psychedelics as a godsend to us to explore deeper into the realms of life and our minds. I saw some different books called "vine of the gods" (probably ayahuasca), and "plants of the gods" maybe 4 or 5 different books called that or similar. im definately looking on picking up something on ayahuasca. I have yet to do ayahuasca, and to me it sounds like the deepest form anyone can partake in. the visuals that people have painted out, and the things people talk about in their trips, just sound so deeply meaningful spiritualy in life.

alot of what was written in the don juan books is false, and just for a good read. I admit, i really couldnt put it down when i read it, but they sell carlos casteneda everywhere, and i have many opportunities in the future to pick up some more of his stuff. but for now, i want to get the golden basics that every psychonaut should own in their collection.

what about the tibetan book of the dead? (spelling?)
I heard that was supposed to be very good.
theres also some interesting books on the quetzacotyl (spelling?), the talk of the mayan calender ending december 21st, 2012.

those are just some extras i was think of price-checking, but for now some good standard 100% accurate psychedelic-related books would be nice.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5601464 - 05/07/06 03:36 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
to tell you the truth, don juan was an amazing book that I couldn't put down. But it all wasn't 100% true. Ide like my psychedelic library to be full and honest as best as I can get. if I have a friend or two over that are interested in learning about psychedelics, ide like to be able to lend some reliable books out to give them the right idea of things. most kids are like "oh hell yeah man, LSD, lets get fucked up!". where-as I see psychedelics as a godsend to us to explore deeper into the realms of life and our minds. I saw some different books called "vine of the gods" (probably ayahuasca), and "plants of the gods" maybe 4 or 5 different books called that or similar. im definately looking on picking up something on ayahuasca. I have yet to do ayahuasca, and to me it sounds like the deepest form anyone can partake in. the visuals that people have painted out, and the things people talk about in their trips, just sound so deeply meaningful spiritualy in life.

alot of what was written in the don juan books is false, and just for a good read. I admit, i really couldnt put it down when i read it, but they sell carlos casteneda everywhere, and i have many opportunities in the future to pick up some more of his stuff. but for now, i want to get the golden basics that every psychonaut should own in their collection.

what about the tibetan book of the dead? (spelling?)
I heard that was supposed to be very good.
theres also some interesting books on the quetzacotyl (spelling?), the talk of the mayan calender ending december 21st, 2012.

those are just some extras i was think of price-checking, but for now some good standard 100% accurate psychedelic-related books would be nice.

I totally disagree with it being "false" its a lesson man, a very complex one. you'll have to read more of the books to understand it...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #5601475 - 05/07/06 03:39 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

well it is to my understanding that casteneda lied about some things in his book. I wasn't given in-depth details as to which part was true or not. but the whole deal about eating the lizards and stuff... like wtf...

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #5601479 - 05/07/06 03:40 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

off topic but: by the way the cat with the lime helmet is back by popular demand (actualy had like 20+ pm's saying i should put it up again haha)

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5601486 - 05/07/06 03:42 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Specific rituals were followed to take the mind of the apprentice to the desired place. To get the mind off one thing and onto another. Get it?

Castaneda stood by his work up until and after his death.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #5601490 - 05/07/06 03:46 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

I get it. I've just heard too much conflicting information about it. But back to the real reason.

Quote:

they sell carlos casteneda everywhere, and i have many opportunities in the future to pick up some more of his stuff.

I found carlos casteneda books on sale at a rite-aid once. I will have many chances in the future. for now I want some golden collectibles.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#5601937 - 05/07/06 05:52 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

I think your decision may be easier if you attempt to narrow your focus a little.

Is there a specific area you're interested in? For example, I'm sure you can find books on the social/cultural impacts of hallucinogens, as well as more "scientific" books describing mechanisms of action, chemistry etc.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineHippyInASuit
Weed Farmer

#5602230 - 05/07/06 07:15 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

I can recommend DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Dr. Rick Strassman and Cleansing the Doors of Perception by Huston Smith.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule is about a clynical study of DMT and finds Strassman theorizing about "the biology of near-death and mystical experiences."

Cleansing the Doors of Perception is a collection of essays concerning the religious use of entheogens.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: HippyInASuit]
    #5602288 - 05/07/06 07:31 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

obviously u didnt read my post hippy. i already own that and have read it, its amazing..
will look into cleansing the doors of perception.

I own an oldskewl 1954 print of a book called the doors of perception, by aldous huxley. it says 35cents on the top right :lol:

badchad, what interested me most out of all the books i looked at. was ralph metzners green psychology, and the whole idea of getting in touch with the earth. I also took interest in some of the ayahuasca books.

couldn't find a barnes and noble where im going, so borders bookstore is gonna have to supply my book.

I found a book there by terence mckenna on synesthesia, it costs 1,500$!!!! HOLY WDTR#$TQDF

those damn WDTR#$TQDF's...

im gonna go back tomorrow and review everything and make my decisions. ill let u guys know what i pick out. thanks for the help everyone.

OfflineBlindLemon
waves
Male

Loc: so cal
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: badchad]
    #5602351 - 05/07/06 07:50 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

Get the book hippie:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402714...5Fencoding=UTF8

Its a fantastic book on drugs and the culture of drugs. Its really huge with big and think pages. A coffee table book. My personal fav :thumbup:

--------------------

Im a fucking spiral..

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: BlindLemon]
    #5602496 - 05/07/06 08:28 PM (18 years, 27 days ago)

i might pick that one up at a later date. maybe another gift for my girl.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #5606937 - 05/08/06 10:42 PM (18 years, 26 days ago)

So I ended up picking up 5 books.

The cosmic serpant -DNA and the origins of knowledge, by jeremy narby. I've started reading this and its AWESOME OMFG.
His sequel to it, Intelligence in nature - And inquiry into knowledge.
Acid Dreams - History of LSD, the CIA, the sixties, and beyond! by martin a. lee, and bruce shlain.
Sacred vine of the spirits - AYAHUASCA, by ralph metzner.
and
Food of the gods - the search for the original tree of knowledge, by Terence Mckenna.

I spent 78$!

I am so stoked, whoever recommended jeremy narby is awesome. his theory on the DNA molecule in relation to ayahuasca and some parts of the bible are amazing and shocking. I'de recommend the cosmic serpant for any shroomerite!
Got about 7 or so chapters in, in the car ride back from Kalispell here in montana. It's got me hooked and ponderin'.

OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: recommended psychedelic books? [Re: CptnGarden] * 1
    #5606980 - 05/08/06 10:56 PM (18 years, 26 days ago)

I just read Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception" and am almost done with "Heaven and Hell." The former is a great read and quite funny...it's about a mescaline trip and the ponderings about it after it's done. The latter is a bit more serious and in depth, though it's about drugs in a rather indirect way.
Both great stuff though. They're classics int he genre, I hear. hehe.

--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

OfflineBlindLemon
waves
Male

Loc: so cal
    #5606982 - 05/08/06 10:57 PM (18 years, 26 days ago)

Nice, nothing like a good read.

--------------------

Im a fucking spiral..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order