Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Nigger [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5602452 - 05/07/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Within the context of his post, I cannot find any evidence to support the assertion that he views himself as "the ultimate source on what would and would not be found humorous." He seemed to be using an example to illustrate his point.

Let's analyze this one.

Quote:

If you started telling a bunch of pizza oven/jew jokes to an Auchwitz survivor, nobody would find it funny, even if you did not mean any harm.

He asserts that nobody would find it funny. Obviously, he is using an example to illustrate his point, and yet, he is also claiming that no one would find it humorous, as though he were a divine source of knowledge on what "someone" would find humorous.

Now, what am I missing? That he is not proposing what some generalization would not find humorous? Because I thought I caught that, and the fact that someone would have to be an ultimate source of what is to be found humorous in order to assert what "someone" would find humorous.

Does the fact that an experience was tragic necessitate that an individual will not find humor in a joke that is intended to be humorous? I don't think so.

:headbang: :sun: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Nigger [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5602531 - 05/07/06 08:39 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Now, what am I missing?

Relevancy.

"So now you are the ultimate source on what would and would not be found humorous?" is an ad hominem veiled under a red herring and utterly besides the point. The issue seems to be whose is responsible for the meaning of a word, the speaker or the listener, not whether Fospher is omniscience.

Furthermore, since "it is the responsibility of the individual to properly interpret meaning when it is expressed", it is your fault he is omniscient, anyway.  :tongue:

Edited by MushmanTheManic (05/07/06 08:43 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5602609 - 05/07/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
"So now you are the ultimate source on what would and would not be found humorous?" is an ad hominem veiled under a red herring and utterly besides the point.

Incorrect. It was addressing an assertion that he made. It is not an ad hominem in that it perfectly portrays a logical point, that, as he is not an ultimate source on what everyone would and would not find humorous, his assertion that no one would find it humorous is baseless.

It was also not a diversion to draw attention away from the issue at hand - look to Mr. Kite if you want a trollish red herring. :lol: My comments on his assertion that no one would find that joke hilarious are as much of a red herring as his assertion is, honestly. Are we not allowed to comment on side issues, even as they are pertinent to the main issue? :wtf:

Quote:

The issue seems to be whose is responsible for the meaning of a word, the speaker or the listener, not whether Fospher is omniscience.

The issue itself concerns the word nigger, and the situation which was described. Obviously, there are a myriad of related issues that all play a part in the discussion at hand. My comments regarding his assertion are an aspect of that, just as his assertion is.

Is it that hard to see how his assertion that no one would find a related joke humorous and my questioning that he has no means by which to know that relates to the topic of this thread, which involves controversial words and jokes and the manners in which others interpret them? :shocked:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5602628 - 05/07/06 09:00 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems totally relevant to the topic at hand. Does any individual have to react to a particular statement in the same way that another would.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineNew2Shroom
Stranger
Imagine the uproar [Re: Icelander]
    #5604534 - 05/08/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

if we had an official month dedicated to "white history" - In my experience most of the ignorant hatred is on the other side of the fence (going to a primarily black school I experienced this often).

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #5606088 - 05/08/06 06:34 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

No I didn't immediately pick you out, I was posting way back at the start of the thread. Then you replied to my post so when I came back much later, I read what you said and posted again.

I did pick you out later because I disagreed with you. Sorry I don't agree with the way that you think and project ideas, but I just don't. I don't think I was over the top or any more agressive than you have been, and certainly you've been more outright insulting about me than I have been about you, but challenge me if you think differently. I'm not here for a fight anyway, lets just try and chill the agro. I'll shut up a bit..

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Nigger [Re: mr_kite]
    #5606516 - 05/08/06 08:36 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You did not respond to the content of his post to you, you immediately started describing his posting style in insulting terms, and you were blatantly off-topic.  Other than that, you were clearly answering his earlier post. :rolleyes:

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Nigger [Re: Veritas]
    #5606749 - 05/08/06 09:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Shhh... let this thread die in peace.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5606930 - 05/08/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
No I didn't immediately pick you out, I was posting way back at the start of the thread. Then you replied to my post so when I came back much later, I read what you said and posted again.

Yes. You made one post at the beginning of the thread, six pages ago. I questioned your statements. Six pages later, you make one reply directed solely at me personally and containing nothing that pertained to my reply.

So, you did not immediately pick me out... you eventually picked me out to discuss. Great, glad we clarified that.

Quote:

I did pick you out later because I disagreed with you. Sorry I don't agree with the way that you think and project ideas, but I just don't.

Yes, great, you don't agree with me, we know that already. I guess it is far too much for you to address the points and ideas that I raise in pertinent discussion that you disagree with? That is what we do here, after all. You disagree with someone, and then you stand up and proclaim why.

Quote:

I don't think I was over the top or any more agressive than you have been

:lol: Yes, I'm a friggin ball of rage here. :rolleyes:

Quote:

, and certainly you've been more outright insulting about me than I have been about you, but challenge me if you think differently.

Hhhm... yes. I replied to your post. Why, just for the purpose of substantiating your statements (I won't hold my breathe for you to do so on your own :smirk:), why don't we all sit down and read what my reply to you consisted of, eh?

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
The word is a sound wave and an arrangement of lines. The word has the meaning we give it. If it was not intended as an insult, then it was not an insult. If the person was offended by it regardless, then that is their hang up.

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
I'd tell him to get over himself. :lol:

That is, of course, referring to the black man. :shocked:

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
The black person comes off worse, becoming emotionally upset and resentful of another individual who meant no offense. How irrational. :rolleyes:

As I stated, becoming emotionally upset as the result of a statement another made, intending no offense, is irrational. You state that you disagree with me, but you don't say why.

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Well let's just see. We have but one moment in which to live. Our existance is defined by this present experience. To think that inflicting a negative emotion upon ourselves and to lessen our awareness of reality by becoming consumed by it is unreasonable is to deny oneself in the ultimate manner. Seriously :shocked:

Now, this is what you just said, once more.

Quote:

mr_kite said:
, and certainly you've been more outright insulting about me than I have been about you, but challenge me if you think differently.

Wow, I truly have been most outright insulting towards you!  :eek:

I see it all before me! Not one single reference to you in my reply to your statements! Jesus fucking Christ, what an insult!

Do you want me to create a poll, so we can get some objective perspective on this one?

I mean, honestly, do you see the ":rolleyes:" and just deep down know that I am insulting you? If so, you are becoming just a little bit too paranoid over the whole emoticon usage thing. :wink:

Quote:

I'm not here for a fight anyway, lets just try and chill the agro.

Then don't violate the rules by directing personalisms agansit me when you have not in the slightest manner been provoked. It is like the drunk guy who goes into a bar pushing people, but assures everyone when an altercation occurs that "I'm not here for a fight anyways!" :rolleyes:

Quote:

I'll shut up a bit..

Sounds like a great idea. Consider opening your mouth once again when you feel like actually contributing to the discussion at hand.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5607018 - 05/08/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Shhhh

OfflineAshland
Space Cowboy

Loc: North America
    #5607032 - 05/08/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I think the Boondocks put it best...

"Nigger is anyone who is an ignorant motherfucker."

Nigger =\= black person. It is offensive and definitely vulgar, and should not be interchangable with "black."

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5607627 - 05/09/06 05:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Yes. You made one post at the beginning of the thread, six pages ago. I questioned your statements. Six pages later, you make one reply directed solely at me personally and containing nothing that pertained to my reply.

So, you did not immediately pick me out... you eventually picked me out to discuss. Great, glad we clarified that.

Yes, great, you don't agree with me, we know that already. I guess it is far too much for you to address the points and ideas that I raise in pertinent discussion that you disagree with? That is what we do here, after all. You disagree with someone, and then you stand up and proclaim why.

OK Ill substantiate (spell it out to you). WTF? Heres my reply on page 4 of thread...

Quote:
    fireworks_god said:
Quote:

The word is a sound wave and an arrangement of lines. The word has the meaning we give it. If it was not intended as an insult, then it was not an insult. If the person was offended by it regardless, then that is their hang up.

I'd tell him to get over himself.

Quote:
    mr_kite said:
As I said, that's being naievely idealistic. The word has not only the meaning you give it, but the meaning that society and history gives it. Would you say "fucking cunts" to your grandmother? Could you defend saying "fucking cunts" to your grandmother by saying you intended it with a diferent meaning? Unlikely. As I said, one has to be aware of the bigger picture as unfortunately society and the world in general is not as enlightened and objective as yourself. If you ignore other people's point of view, whether through ignorance or ideals, then that's extremely self-centered.

Quote:

Wow, I truly have been most outright insulting towards you!  :eek:

I see it all before me! Not one single reference to you in my reply to your statements! Jesus fucking Christ, what an insult!
Do you want me to create a poll, so we can get some objective perspective on this one?
I mean, honestly, do you see the ":rolleyes:" and just deep down know that I am insulting you? If so, you are becoming just a little bit too paranoid over the whole emoticon usage thing. :wink:

"look to Mr. Kite if you want a trollish red herring"
i dont think Ive said anything in that manner about you. you...

Quote:

I'll shut up a bit..

Quote:

Sounds like a great idea. Consider opening your mouth once again when you feel like actually contributing to the discussion at hand.

heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh

So will you actually admit this time that you were at least partially wrong and that you simply didn't read the post I replied to you with? (pg 4) Or am I looking forward to another massive dissection of my post (how can you put so much time and petty effort into relying to me and then claim that I'm the one who's emotionally upset???)

Here it is: I think you're a twat, you think I'm a twat. Let's just leave it at that and not waste any more forum space. I'll say no more as long as you cut it too.

peas.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5607813 - 05/09/06 08:25 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like a good idea.  :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Nigger [Re: Icelander]
    #5607817 - 05/09/06 08:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

this thread is nigger rigged

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5609485 - 05/09/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
OK Ill substantiate (spell it out to you). WTF? Heres my reply on page 4 of thread...

Quote:

As I said, that's being naievely idealistic. The word has not only the meaning you give it, but the meaning that society and history gives it. Would you say "fucking cunts" to your grandmother? Could you defend saying "fucking cunts" to your grandmother by saying you intended it with a diferent meaning? Unlikely. As I said, one has to be aware of the bigger picture as unfortunately society and the world in general is not as enlightened and objective as yourself. If you ignore other people's point of view, whether through ignorance or ideals, then that's extremely self-centered.

In fact, I had read that reply once, when I didn't have time to reply, but when skimming six pages to find all of your postings, I overlooked it.

Certainly, a word's meaning truly exists in the minds of those who hear or read it and interpret and define its meaning. There is no objective meaning to the word, no matter what usage has existed before it. Obviously, prior usage may effect how someone will interpret the word.

However, realistictically, we are all attempting to convey pure thought and concepts through a limited means of expression. An individual needs to be able to exercise judgement as to the context and meaning that is being implied when someone else utilizes it.

Not to mention the fact that it is irrational to become emotionally upset, even if it was intended to be offensive.

Quote:

i dont think Ive said anything in that manner about you. you...

I was accused of creating a red herring. After offering reasoning on how my points were relevant to the discussion, I joked that it was you that created a red herring, with your personalisms directed agansit me. I included the adjective "trollish" because you repeatedly engage in this behavior without being provoked by me.

Do you care to explain exactly how that is most overly insulting of you, especially in comparison to your unbridled assault on me? :shocked:

Quote:

So will you actually admit this time that you were at least partially wrong and that you simply didn't read the post I replied to you with?

No, I will not actually admit that, as doing so would be a lie. I read the reply two days before I replied again in this thread, and I never remembered your reply.

"This time", eh? Referencing which times I was wrong and refused to admit it? Or are you simply making unsubstantiated assertions as to my character again? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Or am I looking forward to another massive dissection of my post (how can you put so much time and petty effort into relying to me and then claim that I'm the one who's emotionally upset???)

:lol:

Yes, time and effort invested in a practice that one enjoys (discussing and exchanging ideas, expressing one's points and sharing perspectives) equates into being emotionally upset. Simply marvelous conclusion, do you come up with gems like these often? Great adjective as well, "petty" effort. Simply how trite it is that I would consider making statements and following through with them. I truly am a lost cause. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Here it is: I think you're a twat, you think I'm a twat. Let's just leave it at that and not waste any more forum space. I'll say no more as long as you cut it too.

No deal. First and foremost, I do not think you are a twat. I think you are someone who, for whatever reason, cannot resist inappropriately commenting on my personality, my character, my behavior, my emoticon usage, and my grammar when I respond to your points in a thread.

Now, is it because you cannot engage in discussion? Because you don't feel the need to involve yourself when you are questioned? Is it because you become emotionally upset when your ideas are challenged? Is it because you envy me?

Who knows? It is mere speculation, and it could never be more than speculation. That is why I do not form conclusions, and then seek you out in a thread and lambast you, regardless of the rules and intents of this forum.

I refuse to stop replying to your posts when you express an idea here. If I feel the need to offer my perspective on the matter, I will continue to do so. If that bothers you, hey, there is an ignore function, after all.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5609618 - 05/09/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

No deal. First and foremost, I do not think you are a twat. I think you are someone who, for whatever reason, cannot resist inappropriately commenting on my personality, my character, my behavior, my emoticon usage, and my grammar when I respond to your points in a thread.

What can I say, I guess I'm just jealous.

Big healthy manlove to fireworksgod. I'm quite resolved to liking you.  :heart: :heart: :heart:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5609625 - 05/09/06 05:34 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

A change of heart? :shocked:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5609640 - 05/09/06 05:39 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Love thy enemy :wink:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5609651 - 05/09/06 05:41 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Fo shure, nigga. :lol:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5609666 - 05/09/06 05:45 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You'll always be the nigga's bitch, muthafunster :ass2mouth:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order