Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS**
    #5574351 - 04/30/06 03:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i have gotten so far with this setup and to be stopped now is really frustrating :sad:

i have a martha setup @ 70 degree room temperature and 93% RH. These are hpoo casings of B+, and i give it 3 hours of light a day. are these suffering from overlay? how do i fix it? is my room temperature too low? any advice would be much appreciated...

Casings

pic of coolmist/ultrasonic

Edited by magic8ball (04/30/06 03:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: magic8ball]
    #5574374 - 04/30/06 03:09 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

That is definitely some uber overlay. Your probably going to have to remove the casing layer and apply a new one. But I see a few problems with your setup.

First, it looks like you have alot of room between the top of your casing to the top of the container. At the most you should have a few inches or so. When you have more than a few inches between the casing and the top of the container fresh air won't automatically go in there because there is no where for the CO2 to go. My suggestion is to drill some holes at the level of your casing layer. That should fix the problem.

Second, is the fact that you are not really giving them enough light. I know it says in the teks that alot of light isn't needed but I believe it is. When I pin my casings I try to give them at least 14-16 hours of light a day to initiate pinning. One they are in pinning mode they don't need as much light and can do fine just with the amount you are giving it.

The last problem is your RH. Since you are doing casings, and not cakes, your RH should be 80% - 85%. The casing layer provides a perfect microclimate for the shroomies and they don't need that much humidity. A high RH with casings can actually hurt them.

Hope you fix your problems.

~Peace OUt

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Offlineebass
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: kungpow]
    #5574409 - 04/30/06 03:24 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

those look exactly like my first set of cases, which I just harvested. They were a success (over a couple pounds wet). Those will pin just give them time. Overlay is when the top layer is dead and matted. The layers on those casings look very much alive. Don't recase...let it be. Watch for side pinning, though. There will be some spots where the pins will have trouble pokin through so they will poke through the sides instead.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: ebass]
    #5574499 - 04/30/06 03:57 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ebass said:
those look exactly like my first set of cases, which I just harvested. They were a success (over a couple pounds wet). Those will pin just give them time. Overlay is when the top layer is dead and matted. The layers on those casings look very much alive. Don't recase...let it be. Watch for side pinning, though. There will be some spots where the pins will have trouble pokin through so they will poke through the sides instead.

So true! Definitely do not recase that would make no mycosense at all!
Read my pinning/casing strategy to learn what true overlay actually is as well as optimizing the pinning process. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: hyphae]
    #5574741 - 04/30/06 05:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed. No overlay on those trays. Everything else looks fine. You should see pins soon.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5576167 - 05/01/06 01:33 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

do you think scratching the surface of the casing with a sterilized fork would help pinning? anyone?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: Leanin]
    #5576430 - 05/01/06 06:03 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Leanin said:
do you think scratching the surface of the casing with a sterilized fork would help pinning? anyone?

Not at this stage of the game.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: hyphae]
    #5576734 - 05/01/06 10:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry for the bad advice it is just that I haven't seen that many cases of overlay. I had one small case that was taken care of very easily. I just seen that the casing layer was completely taken over by myc and thought it was overlayed.

But you guys are right. Overlay will cause the mycelium to actually die and turn a yellowish color. Just let it be and you should see pins soon. My other suggestions might help out a bit though.

~Peace Out

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: kungpow]
    #5588608 - 05/04/06 12:25 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

everybody thank you SO much for the feedback! i was started to get really frustrated and do something drastic like scratch off the entire surface with a fork or something :eek: good thing i didnt because i finally got pins.

on two other cases in the incubator i have tho it looks like i have cobweb mold on both. ill post a pic up tomorrow. is cobweb caused by poor FAE and initiating pinning too late? can it be fixed with peroxide? if so i'll spray them asap so they can go in the martha...

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #5588631 - 05/04/06 12:32 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, hit it with peroxide and the cobweb will subside.

I use about a 50/50 mix, but you can go full strength down to 10%. Get it now before it grows

--------------------

Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: monstermitch]
    #5588800 - 05/04/06 01:23 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

monstermitch said:
I use about a 50/50 mix, but you can go full strength down to 10%.

what do you mean by this? i have a spray bottle. i was just going to fill it with hydrogen peroxide. are you saying i should fill the bottle with half water/half h202?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#5588816 - 05/04/06 01:28 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

omg, not pure h202, lol.

I use about a 3% strenght and it works just fine....Don't use full strenght, that's not good...:thumbdown:

I'd go as high as 10% IMO

-Gnostic

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: in dire need of help with casings!! **PICS** [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5589768 - 05/04/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I dilute my 3% and it works great without majorly retarding myc growth, I myself would never use a stronger than 3%.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom