Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilly_rabbit
thrill seeker

double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing
    #5587570 - 05/03/06 08:12 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

hey guys I just inoculated my first batch of jars ever about a week ago, all 10 of doing very well from the looks of it!! I was just wondering what i should do when its time to birth my cakes.
should I dunk & roll in verm? & do you use dry or moist vermiculite?
or should I just put dry/moist verm on the lid and birth them right onto that?
a double end case is just verm sprinkled on top & bottom of the cakes for added moisture, right??
Well thank you in advance Ive learned so much from this forum & my dream of being able to pick mushrooms right here in my room is becoming more real!  :grin:

--------------------
mushrooms are colonizing my life

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebartak59
KOWALSKI

Loc: Bomba Shack
Re: double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing [Re: psilly_rabbit]
    #5588227 - 05/03/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well, take this with a grain of salt cuz I'm a beginner too. But I experimented with all of my 8 jars before birthing. I dunked all of them for about 18 hours, then I left two in their normal "bare" state. Two I double-ended cased. Two I rolled in moist verm. (strained thru a colander) AND double-ended cased (so the entire cake was covered in verm). And the last two I just rolled on the sides. The ones that were completely covered in verm. are doing by far the best (i'm on my 2nd flush so far). I also placed 4 of the cakes directly on the perlite in my FC, and the other 4 I put on pieces of foil. It may be coincidence, but the ones placed directly on the perlite are producing more pins and growing bigger mushrooms. I think the mycellium must by "drinking" the water from the perlite.. ? At any rate, just what I'm experiencing so far, so grain of salt. Also, when you "roll", I think you can either roll it in dry verm, THEN moisten it with a mister... or roll it in pre-moistened vermiculite. I chose the latter.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing [Re: psilly_rabbit]
    #5588238 - 05/03/06 10:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Double end casing definitely helps the cakes to produce at maximum. I never tried the dunk & roll, but I've heard good things about it. If it were me, I'd roll the cake in dry verm and then mist it until capacity is reached.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing [Re: dog]
    #5588255 - 05/03/06 10:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

roll the cake in dry verm and then mist it until capacity is reached.

I dunk my cakes all the time...Cept when I'm spawning it to straw, it seems to hold all the water needed. :thumbup:

-Gnostic

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5588278 - 05/03/06 11:05 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

dunk and roll AND double end case the biggest thing with cakes is they just don't hold water. anything you do to help this out you will be rewarded for. i don't see why you don't double it up. like 2x word score in scrabble. man i hate scrabble.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: double end case? or dunk & roll? or nothing [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5588279 - 05/03/06 11:05 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I dunk my cakes all the time...Cept when I'm spawning it to straw, it seems to hold all the water needed.

Always did for me too, but people say that rolling in verm helps even more. I switched to whole grains after buying a PC so I haven't tried it. It sounds logical, though.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag