Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Labor Union Discussion
    #5587124 - 05/03/06 06:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

So as to prevent another thread from going off-topic...

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Does religion prey upon the weak in order to propagate its own existance? I think it does. I see religion as being of the same as a labor union. :wink:

Quote:

Icelander said:
You f____ing management types are all alike. :thumbdown:

Philosophically, what benefit is there in a labor union to anyone involved in the company? A labor union is like a leech, a business sucking off of another business. :grin:

It is no wonder why labor unions and record companies have close associations with organized crime. Instead of threatening to smash up the joint if you don't pay them, they take power away from workers and use it for their own profit. Unbelievable! :wtf:

:headbang: :sun: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Edited by fireworks_god (05/03/06 06:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Labor Union Discussion [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5587140 - 05/03/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I knew you would post this sucka. Very predictable indeed.

And as I said both management and unions prey upon the ignorant worker.  :tongue2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Labor Union Discussion [Re: Icelander]
    #5587156 - 05/03/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
And as I said both management and unions prey upon the ignorant worker.  :tongue2:

And I was hoping you would post this again. :evil:

Elaborate on how it is that management preys upon the worker.

As far as I can tell, management represent the company, and offer goods and services in exchange for work. It's a mutual agreement.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #5587178 - 05/03/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This discussion about labor unions couldn't possibly be compared to the other one :tongue:

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5587197 - 05/03/06 06:45 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

By it's very nature it's a form of control and manipulation to boss another.

I've worked in more jobs then I can remember and every management has lied to it's employees. The abuses are countless. Managers are notorious for getting away with things that would get a regular worked fired and they constantly withold information from workers (for their own good of course) I've been intimately involved in more than one union and they are no better. Yet sometimes they are necessary to prevent a very corrupt management from completely exploiting it's workers who must work to pay bills. Yuck to all of it, both sides discust me deeply.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Labor Union Discussion [Re: Basilides]
    #5587204 - 05/03/06 06:46 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
This discussion about labor unions couldn't possibly be compared to the other one :tongue:

Its not nice to say things like that to people who are really high. :stoned:

Laughed my fucking ass off! I appreciate your sense of humor. :thumbup:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5587269 - 05/03/06 07:04 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
By it's very nature it's a form of control and manipulation to boss another.

"Control"? More like influence. It is, after all, an exchange. Perhaps if the workers were slaves, or it was the military (ahem!  :rolleyes:), it would be control. 

Quote:

Managers are notorious for getting away with things that would get a regular worked fired

Managers have more responsibility and (hopefully :grin:) more experience. Expectations might not be the same in some regards, but they are held to higher expectations in other regards.

Quote:

and they constantly withold information from workers (for their own good of course)

Sometimes workers do not need to be entitled to certain information, and I can think of some circumstances in which certain information being available to workers would be detrimental to the company. Certain information is confidental for good reason, and there is an expectation to uphold confidentality.

Would you prefer that a person's contact and identity information be made available to other workers, for instance?

Quote:

Yet sometimes they are necessary to prevent a very corrupt management from completely exploiting it's workers who must work to pay bills.

Its an exchange, and its the decision of the worker if they wish to perform the work requested in exchange for the goods offered (just as it is the decision of the company as to whether or not they wish to offer that worker the oppurtunity).

Remember, one owes everything to reality and nothing to humanity. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5587321 - 05/03/06 07:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have been through this way too many times. You are saying the very same thing every manager has said to me. (even the one that went to prison because of what I uncovered about them, yes it's true and there's much more.) It's all so much self serving blah blah blah.

As far as reality goes. If you don't like it here in Amerika you can leave and if you don't want this job that you need to pay your bills then you just go out and find another, yes sir.

Yes it's reality all right, that's the point I'll give you but it surely still stinks in my opinion; as does management and unions. They are really cut from the same cloth and only dislike each other because they are fighting over the same corpse of the worker. :thumbdown:

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (05/03/06 08:45 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5589124 - 05/04/06 05:41 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
They are really cut from the same cloth and only dislike each other because they are fighting over the same corpse of the worker. :thumbdown:

:lol:

You must have done a lot of work in the salt mines or something. Where I work, it is encouraged to develop workers, rather, to give them what they need to develop themselves. Doing so benefits everyone. Where I work, 70% of salaried management started out as hourly associates, and I have heard of at least one store manager who started out with the company by pushing carts. :grin:

Ineffective management does not equate with management itself, I'm afraid. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5589332 - 05/04/06 08:55 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Why do I bother to answer? It's like talking to a Christian.

I work at one of the most progressive workplaces in the pacific northwest. A Natural Foods co-op that is considered by many to be a model workplace. So you don't know what you're talking about. I have also been on both sides as management and as staff. Along with being on the B.O.D. I've been privy to lots of what goes on behind the scenes. All the nasty shit I'm referring to happened at this workplace. The other places I worked at were much much worse.  :grin: Mismanagement is the biggest problem where I work and managers fucking up and making staff pay for it. Management is a "good ol boy" fraternity and they rally round each other right or wrong. I have worked here 17 years and the store has been around 34. I have seen many employees fired justly and unjustly. There has never been  a manager fired in 34 years until the police got involved and believe me they suspected what was going on but couldn't bear to fire one of their own.

I have also been a major player in Union negotiations and have also been instrumental in getting them removed from a workplace. In the end  both suck the big one. And there is no difference. As a manager were you to acknowledge that (whether that is your experience or not) you would have to quit or acknowledge your lack of integrity so you have a lot to defend here. I having worked on all sides and loving none, do not.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5590733 - 05/04/06 05:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Why do I bother to answer? It's like talking to a Christian.

:lol:

How can you discuss an idea when you interpret statements through preconceived notions ("like talking to a Christian")?

What is it like to "talk to a Christian", anyways? There are a great variety of manners in which one would talk to a Christian. We aren't making assertions containing generalizations, are we?

Quote:

So you don't know what you're talking about.

:rolleyes:

I am not concerned with how progressive the company is or how many consider it to be a model workplace; I am concerned with the fact that any negative behaviors of poor managers do not reflect the concept of management itself. Properly applied management is positive and encourages the growth and development of the workers, the managers, and the workers into managers.

Quote:

Mismanagement is the biggest problem where I work and managers fucking up and making staff pay for it.

No doubt, the captain of the ship is responsible when he runs it into an iceberg. :shocked:

Quote:

Management is a "good ol boy" fraternity and they rally round each other right or wrong.

Completely contrary to your assertion, my experience begs to differ, but I guess it might depend on the hierarchy of management.

In my company, there is a store manager, two co-managers, and then around ten to fifteen assistant managers. Assistant managers in particular have very two-faced relationships with assistant managers. They have to maintain a positive, friendly relationship with other assistant managers, but their sense of ownership and their sense of how things should be done causes them to resent each other as well. This especially occurs when an assistant manager rotates out of an area and the new assistant manager runs things differently and even fucks shit up. :lol:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5590758 - 05/04/06 05:08 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

any negative behaviors of poor managers do not reflect the concept of management itself.

I wouldn't argue with that but it's irrelevant to the fact that managers are human with all the human weaknesses, added to the fact that they are given power over others and need to protect that power and it's perks. Look at the management here at the "progressive Shroomery". It doesn't matter what the concept is if people can't apply it.  :wink:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5590962 - 05/04/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I wouldn't argue with that but it's irrelevant to the fact that managers are human with all the human weaknesses, added to the fact that they are given power over others

The better the manager, the less "human weakness", just as the better the basketball player, the less "human weakness".

They aren't "given power", they are granted influence. Who grants them the ability to influence? Both the employee and the company. Its simply a different role in a mesh network of interaction.

Quote:

and need to protect that power and it's perks.

The better individual is the one who focuses on playing one's role, as they realize that, in doing so, there will be no worry or fear about continuance of that role. An individual who is tuned into a higher degree of awareness will thus be more capable of succesfully performing one's duties, and will have no need to "protect" their influence and its fringe benefits.

Quote:

Look at the management here at the "progressive Shroomery". It doesn't matter what the concept is if people can't apply it.  :wink:

What of the management here? I've discovered that working with them creates a better experience for all involved. You're right, managers are humans as well, and possess human traits, which is why we should regard them as an individual and not creates walls of seperation and inhabit dualistic thought. Such is one of the primary negative aspects of a labor union. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5591029 - 05/04/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Labor Unions came into existence because of abuse by management. Why do you care if your imployees choose to be represented by a Union? It's really there business and none of yours. :grin:

I have found that the weakest usually seek power positions as they feel powerless. (Remember I said usually) There are good managers so there must be good Unions also. I just can't take a manager seriously who complains about Unions. Sorry, it's just funny to me. :rofl2:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5591110 - 05/04/06 07:03 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Labor Unions came into existence because of abuse by management.

Labor unions came into existance because of the lack of labor laws that protect the rights of employees, as a response to unfair labor practices by primitive (ignorant, thus abuseful, like humans disregarding our relationship with our environment) management.

Quote:

It's really there business and none of yours. :grin:

Their business? It is really business itself. Adversely effecting the health and performance of a company by labor contracts that obstruct is not beneficial for anyone, management or employees. It is only beneficial for the labor unions who profit off of the company by obstructing business.

Quote:

I have found that the weakest usually seek power positions as they feel powerless. (Remember I said usually)

The weakest? A weak individual might seek a position that would grant them ability to influence, but yet the fact that they are weak will prevent them from performing in that position, if they are strong enough to obtain that position in the first place.

Perhaps I am simply confused by your usage of the word "weak".

I personally seek management oppurtunities because doing so is empowering. That is, the process of developing and striving to perform in a role empowers oneself.

Quote:

Self-direction is the most important quality of leadership. That means that control of others begins with control of self. Furthermore, the most successful leaders are those who recognize the creative potential of every member on their team and make productive use of it.

A weak individual is incapable of leading. Managing and giving direction implies that one can manage reality and direct one's own life. :wink:

Quote:

There are good managers so there must be good Unions also.

A union might be good at what they do, but that does not mean that it is beneficial for the company or the employees.

Quote:

I just can't take a manager seriously who complains about Unions.

I find it difficult to find much value in the assertions of someone who cannot properly assess the situation that they are involved in. Where exactly have I complained about unions, my friend?

I recall offering my perspective on unions and their negative effects on the performance of a company, which is thus a detriment to the employees as well. I have not "complained", and you cannot produce basis that demonstrates that I have.

Know anything about the commercial airline industry?

Quote:

Sorry, it's just funny to me. :rofl2:

It amuses me as well. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#5591226 - 05/04/06 07:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have to go by the experiences of my life. Managers who are incompetent are protected by other managers. I don't know how it is at Wal-Mart but I doubt it is really different.

The top folks there are not in any danger of becoming poor. The owner has a little more money than he needs I'd guess. But I'm not a fan of business in general so I don't think anyone needs multi millions of dollars when employees make a fraction of that.

If employees don't find Unions a benefit then they won't bring them in unless you are saying they aren't smart enough to know what's good for them.

Of course I'm not a fan of Unions either. I know that they are a business also and it's all about profit. They compete with Wal-marts profits so Wal-Mart doesn't want them. If they are so bad though and the Management is so great there is no chance of a Union gaining foot hold in your fine establishment. Of course I don't know that it's fine because I don't work there so I can't really debate your claims as I don't have first hand knowledge. I've heard plenty of stories but I cannot verify anything about them. Forgive me though if I have my doubts. I've worked in maybe 20 businesses and poor management was quite normal and the backbone of the business was always staff who often got the shaft. This is my experience of over 35 years in the workplace. I'm not bitter about it anymore though. This is the state of evolution of humans at this time on planet earth. People aren't capable of managing themselves so someone will always be there to take control of them. I found my ways to beat the system and I have it cush now. I'm almost retired at 53 and have almost never worked over 25 hours per week. For the summer I'll be working 18 while retaining full benefits. Not to shabby, but if I had my druthers I'd never look into the deceitful eyes of a manager again. Or a Union Stewart. By the way I was a key player in driving out a Union who had taken foot hold in my workplace. I did it by exposing a criminal general manager and when they quit, (we would have never fired her) I convinced the staff that we did not need a Union to protect us. It worked out perfect which rarely happens in life. :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5591393 - 05/04/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

LOL this thread at first got me very interested.............at first. Then I began to read it.............ALL BULLSHIT......LMAO

I will not be getting into this........but I will add something useless and borderline..............negative.

So far one poster argues for the Union when he is so young as to have no idea what he is talking about........probably never worked in a union or worked at all.......Gets all his info from a class or a book etc...........

And we have another poster with a rocky work history with many many years of failed jobs, been fired, hates all management, has a twisted outlook on the real working world etc.....

Of course I am postulating here quite a bit........ but I am sure I have hit the nail..........

I have been in management for almost 20 years. Worked for unions........ Shovled shit, changed tires.........I know things and you are both very very wrong

You guys are :lol:..........funny...........

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Labor Union Discussion [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #5591477 - 05/04/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have never failed at a job. I have never been fired. I have worked at my last one for 17 years have served on it's board of directors.

Do you really read or do you just make this stuff up. Fucknucklehead.

--------------------

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#5591539 - 05/04/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Oh really ? I sugget you re read your last post...........

Your facts just don't add up not at all.

Nobody get on any board of directors only working 25 hours a week for years and years..........It takes hard work to get the respect to have such positions. One does not have complete contemp for managment and then claim to be on a board of directors, one is not pround to claim to have one over on the system, to be far better than the white collar man..........etc.........Bullshit total bullshit. You worked the last job for 17 years......hum 17 from 35 is 18 and you say you worked 25 jobs in, hum........18 years and you have never been fired or failed............Yeah ok you would be the first human in history to never fail at a job..........

I said I know things. I know a lot of things about boards of directors and the people that get these things. I know many such rewards and live them.......in fact let me say this ...............

You are a liar and I see right through you..........sorry

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Labor Union Discussion [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #5591631 - 05/04/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Want to bet me $1000.00 And I can prove it. The 20 jobs was a guess because I'm in my 50s and had lots of jobs when I was a kid. I have never been fired from a job in my life. I have quit all my jobs. I work at a place where 25 hours is considered full time and with that you get benefits. Want to bet another $1000.00 on that. And I have enought vacation pay to be able to take a day off week through the summer so I only have to work 18. (10 hours on Sunday and eight on monday) I can prove everything I said about being on the BOD of a corp that brings in I believe about 17 million a year. I work there now.

So if you are calling me a liar I am calling you out. Lets get this worked out and make the bet legal. Let's get a lawyer and loser pays the legal fees.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates