Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Cactus Rotting?
    #5539696 - 04/21/06 01:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I bought a couple pachanoi at a Target garden center a few months ago. At the time, I knew that had been very overwatered by the automatic watering system there, but since it was about $20 for two cactus that were both more than 22" tall, I figured it was still a decent price.

I brought them home, removed them from their shared plastic planter and placed them each in separate pots with some fresh cactus soil around them. Since then I've watered them 2 times, and they've been rained on a couple times. More water than they need, yes... but they never remained moist for long, so I was not concerned about rotting.

Recently I noticed that at the base they had an area which had sunk inward, over which the skin had turned brown and hard. It didn't look like the rot that I had previously seen, in which the flesh turned soft and mushy... but it does look like it could be rot.

I have images of them, does anyone know if they are indeed rotting?

Cactus 1:

Cactus 2:

It's hard to get a good clear picture, but to me it looks like something I need to be concerned about.

If they are rotting, I need to know ASAP. The larger one has a pup that's about 2" tall, and if the cacti are rotting I'd like to try and save the pup by grafting it to a pereskiopsis (and I'd need to get a pereskiopsis cutting from someone before doing that. I don't currently have any pereskiopsis)

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblellamabox
Myco/Ethnoresearcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Third moon of the Indole ...
Re: Cactus Rotting? [Re: Konnrade]
    #5540097 - 04/21/06 06:46 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Konnrade said: I'd like to try and save the pup by grafting it to a pereskiopsis (and I'd need to get a pereskiopsis cutting from someone before doing that. I don't currently have any pereskiopsis)

I got a couple extra. They are yours if you want them... :grin:

--------------------

Free Ethnobotanical Seed Ring

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#5540152 - 04/21/06 08:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You probably had a gorilla grip when you poted it. Causing some tissue damage.

InvisibleXxshinerxX
Explorer
 User Gallery
Re: Cactus Rotting? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5540495 - 04/21/06 11:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I do not have any experience with grafting san pedro to anything but you might have some success grafting to Myrtillocactus geometrizans. Those can be easily found at Wal-mart stores as well as most nurseries and greenhouses. They are the most common grafting stock I have seen.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #5540524 - 04/21/06 12:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That bottom looks like it may have some rot going on. The top tanish part looks like a mouse was eating it.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5543115 - 04/22/06 04:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
You probably had a gorilla grip when you poted it.  Causing some tissue damage.

Yeah, I did have to grip them pretty hard, they were a total pain to get out of the pot that they were in, and I gripped them more or less at that level.

Perhaps it's just from being bruised, then?

Quote:

llamabox said:
Quote:

Konnrade said: I'd like to try and save the pup by grafting it to a pereskiopsis (and I'd need to get a pereskiopsis cutting from someone before doing that. I don't currently have any pereskiopsis)

I got a couple extra. They are yours if you want them... :grin:

That would be quite lovely, I must say I'm interested. Even if the cacti are healthy, I'd still like to remove a pup from one of them and graft it. It would be a great learning experience.

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
That bottom looks like it may have some rot going on. The top tanish part looks like a mouse was eating it.

Yeah, the brown part does look like it had some rot going on. That part was below the soil line when it was in the original pot. I just happened to set the cactus a bit above the soil level it used to be at. The brown area is firm to the touch now, though. I don't doubt that it was rotting at some point, but it doesn't seem to have gotten worse in that spot since then.

The tan area doesn't look like anything has nibbled at it, all of the skin is intact, but it's receded inward and grown hard. Perhaps it is indeed just a bruise from me handling them. At the time I was more concerned with saving them from their damp, mossy soil than I was about being gentle with them.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#5543602 - 04/22/06 12:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Konnrade said:
Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
You probably had a gorilla grip when you potted it. Causing some tissue damage.

Yeah, I did have to grip them pretty hard, they were a total pain to get out of the pot that they were in, and I gripped them more or less at that level.

Perhaps it's just from being bruised, then?

Possibly

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #5577041 - 05/01/06 01:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

the extent of the damage looks to be ceased at its current progress.
in other words, damage done, it doesnt look lik eits spreading. Looks nice and dry. if its got good drainage it ought to be fine. if the discoloration spreads, then the rot from the plant and let it callous in a dry environment as possible, do not water untill fully healed.
basically watch it for negative change. If you dont see it, then don't worry.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cactus Rotting? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #5577795 - 05/01/06 06:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a plan, thanks :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden