Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIwantELVES
ChronoSynclasticInfundibulumated
Male

Light Exposure and its effect on growth...
    #5575454 - 04/30/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I inoculated two grain mycobags with some Tex strain. One bag, after colonization, was exposed to light until harvest. The other was removed from light once pins formed.

I found that the one that was removed from the light grow significantly larger shrooms than the other. What do some of you more experienced mycologist have to say on this?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePORkSOdA
Living incaptivity

Loc: Maryland
Re: Light Exposure and its effect on growth... [Re: IwantELVES]
    #5575591 - 04/30/06 10:07 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I've grown with and without light and have never noticed a difference... I think external light is pretty useless to a grow, but alot of people recommend it. I don't believe it is important at all and think that adding light to a grow is complete overkill. Mushrooms are obviously sensative to light due to the fact that they will grow from the sides of a container that you don't block out, but imo fresh air is essentially all you need to get them to pin... IMO the size and health of the fruits will be based on the amount of oxygen in the air, water in the casing, and nutrients in the substrate.

While light may help to induce pinning, even the small amount that comes from checking on them a couple times a day will be enough...

What kind of light did you use?

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Exposure and its effect on growth... [Re: PORkSOdA]
    #5575663 - 04/30/06 10:29 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

From The Mushroom Cultivator:

"A thorough investigation on the photosensitivity of Psilocybe cubensis can be found in a master's thesis by E.R. Badham (1979). His work reinforces the conclusions of other researchers working with the Basidiomycetes: more pinheads are initiated upon exposure to blue and ultra-violet light with distinct peaks at 370, 440 and 460 nanometers. Badham showed that light stimulation at these wavelengths for as little as half a millisecond per day caused primordia to form."

a half millisecond is like a camera flash going off once a day and is apparently enough. sustained light of course helps them grow upward, but i'm in total agreement with porksoda above that all the lighting setups people come up with are totallly overkill.

there's really no way the light, or lack of, had any effect on the size of your mushrooms though. i think other variables present were at work. what was the quantity of mushrooms produced? perhaps the one with less light formed fewer pins, thus there were fewer mushrooms in competition for moisture and nutrients, resulting in the ones that grew to be larger?

OfflineIwantELVES
ChronoSynclasticInfundibulumated
Male

Re: Light Exposure and its effect on growth... [Re: creamcorn]
    #5575739 - 04/30/06 10:51 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Well, to be more specific...

I was using a (15 watt?) fluorescent lamp. The most puzzling thing is that the pin-set was fairly equal, in a matter of fact, more with the bigger shrooms.

The enviroment was fairly controlled for each, both same specifications (I don't have a lab or anything, but good enough).

One more thing...both bags are in a tubberware container (large) in water.

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Light Exposure and its effect on growth... [Re: IwantELVES]
    #5575829 - 04/30/06 11:12 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

well there's still lots of variance no matter how careful you are and i'm not convinced the light has anything to do with the yield or the size of the individual mushrooms. did you inoculate with spores? remember a multispore inoculation results in many strains growing simultaneously within the bags. each two spores that meet up are like "parents" that have their own unique "kids"... so there's an unavoidable genetic variance there, and one bag might have been luckier as far as being a better fruiter. only way to get rid of that variance is if you had inoculated either from agar or LC of an isolated strain, or a clone.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale