Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Magnetic Stirrer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
DIY Magnetic Stirrer
    #5567819 - 04/28/06 08:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I should mention that this idea was stolen wholesale from blacklabrat and this thread. Five shrooms for him.

So I've been desperately wanting to have a magnetic stirrer but my $$ was tied up in necessary things like the PC, jars, etc. So when I read that thread I thought to myself "no frickin' way, I have at least five spare fans kicking around this room and probably twice as many power supplies."

And I was right.

So I made myself a working magnetic stirrer using only stuff I had kicking around the room. The only "exotic" thing used was a spare go stone "bowl" (though it's square-shaped). The whole thing from start-to-finish was roughly 30-40 minutes.

Obtaining the magnets are only a problem if you aren't someone who has spare hard drives kicking around as a matter of principle.

Ok, so here it is. The parts all in one spot:

There you can see the enclosure (go stone box), some arbitrary-length garden ties (use string if you want, doesn't matter), the computer fan with the magnet already attached, superglue (not shown), some washers (to stand off the fan from the work surface) and a 12v power supply pinched from a humungous box I have stuffed with such things.

The assembly was simple.

* Match fan up to lid. Use sharpie to mark four holes. Drill holes.

* Strip wires on both the fan and the power supply. Attach. If the fan spins in the "wrong direction" you have the wires hooked up backward but I don't think it'll harm anything if you do.

* Attach HD magnet to the fan. It should stick since it's an extremely powerful magnet and the fan has metal inside. Power up fan.

* The goal at this point is to find the "sweet spot" for the magnet, the placement that will cause the least wobble in the assembly. A millimeter can mean the difference between a kitten purr and the magnet being flung from the fan so make small adjustments.

* Once you find the sweet spot, superglue that mofo down. I didn't bother with the jar lid like blacklabrat did.

* With the fan pointed "up" (the magnet facing up), take one wiretie end and thread it through the fan holes from bottom to top. Take the other end of the wiretie and thread it through a parallel hole in the fan. The wire tie should look like the rope on a swing set and the fan/magnet should be the wood swing itself. The wire tie cradles the fan.

* Thread enough nuts unto the wire tie so that the spinning fan will not hit the lid when pressed against. Sorry no pics for this -- my camera batteries died. Here's a drawing.

* Do the same through the other two holes. Now you'll have four wires cradling the fan with washers dropped over the wire to act as a standoff.

* Place the cover over the fan, threading the wires through the holes you drilled. Twist the ties together to secure the fan assembly to the lid.

* Place the lid over the box. Make a notch for the power wires if you want. I didn't.

That's it. All done. Here is the stirrer in action.

I should have taken multiple pictures. That one does it no justice. There is a righteous vortex in the container right now. The one in the picture is pretty small.

I should mention that there are TONS of ways I could have done this differently. I justed wanted to do it with the items I had on-hand and ...well ...these are the items I had on-hand. It's whisper quiet (calibrating the magnet is critical) and it's been running now for about 80 minutes without so much as a peep.

The stirring rod itself, like the other thread mentions, is just a 1" piece of ferrous (magnetic) metal. I just snipped a bit off a spool of ground wire I had kicking around. Heck, even a small nail might work perfectly. Tomorrow I'll pick up a bit of shrinkwrap to place around the rod. I tried different sizes (I think 1" is optimal) and I tried doing multiple bits of metal (it worked terrible for me, they all clumped together). Tomorrow I'll probably try to attach two bits of metal to polar ends of something non-magnetic, seal with shrink-wrap and see how that works. Who knows?

I also have a short video I took. Anyone know how to upload video to the forums?

You know, I used to believe when they said that marijuana quashes creativity and motivation. Until I started taking it, anyway.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thanks and thumbs-up to blacklabrat who is responsible for giving me the idea (and the instructions) in the first place.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: splifner180]
    #5567833 - 04/28/06 08:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Wow two threads in the same day, way cool.

I hope this catches on, this make LC so nice and thick  :thumbup:

Good job man, now like I told the other guy, Now make some thick LC  :wink:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5567865 - 04/28/06 08:28 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

It was absurd how easy it was to make. Granted, I have things in my room that probably 85% of the forum members DON'T but none of the items are too exotic. The worst is probably the hard drive magnet and all you have to do is hit up a local computer replair place and tell them you'd like their dead drives to pull the magnets out of.

If anyone asks why, just tell them the magents make good clamps because they're so bloody strong.

I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up a thin piece of lucite (to make a proper lid), some extra long screws and some nuts. Hell, I can probably even throw a noise-dampener in there for haha's.

splif

--------------------

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
    #5568081 - 04/28/06 09:22 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

fuck it i guess i have to jump on this band waggon.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #5568115 - 04/28/06 09:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Day 2

Day 3

Constantly stirred at room temp... :thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Invisibleblacklabrat
Stranger

#5568174 - 04/28/06 09:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

splifner180-

Great Job!

Can't believe how easy it was to make and how well it works.

Yours is a nice improvement! While mines not pretty.. you work with what you got!   

Thanks for the props, but honestly I cant take any credit for this idea.  Lots of people have been playing around with this concept.  The one improvement I will take credit for is the reduced size of the stir rod.  Less drag, cheap and chops the LC rather than just stirring it.  I really wouldn't recommend coating the wire.  Experimented with shrink wrap tubing, acrylics etc...nothing worked better than bare wire.

Also more distance from the rotating magnet=less energy transfered.

Why make it more difficult than it has to be, right? :smile:

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: blacklabrat]
    #5568531 - 04/28/06 11:17 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

blacklabrat:

I wouldn't consider mine an improvement at all. I'd much rather have a clear lucite plate like yours. Mine is kind of dicey but it works.

I consider my tek to be more of a "hey, this is seriously dirt-simple" commentary. Aa testament to those wondering how hard it is that it isn't hard at all.

And you get props not for inventing it, per se, but for bringing it to these forums. If you didn't post it, I would have spent $80 (or whatever) on a pro one. And I'm ALL about the DIY.

And you bring up another good point. I would have NEVER started with a stir rod that small. I wonder if I would have ever even considered it while experimenting.

I did find some heat shrink tubing lying around, shrunk it around a 1" length of solid wire. The metal no longer clanks (gently) against the bottom of the jar while spinning which means two things; less noise and more spin. My vortex hits full-throttle more reliably with the tubing. Don't know why my results differ from yours, though.

I'm considering doing another but getting a 13-15 VDC supply and adding a linear potentiometer to effectively control speed. Worst case I burn out a motor.

splif

--------------------

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

#5568813 - 04/29/06 12:21 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a nice short AVI clip of the stirrer in use.

splif

--------------------

Edited by splifner180 (04/29/06 12:27 AM)

Offlinetokey666
Lamb of God
 User Gallery

Loc: Your Mom
    #5568851 - 04/29/06 12:29 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Booya! Good job! I really hate those radio shack fans though. I have gone through 2 in a six month period in another grow operation I have. They cant handle back pressure for shit. :frown:

Even so, that is AWESOME!

Offlinessjwizard
Stranger
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: tokey666]
    #5569639 - 04/29/06 07:45 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ok so i also just whiped one of these up. conviently i to also had all the nessicary parts lieing on my desk. my 12v power suply didnt work so i had to settle for a 6v, all i used was 1 tupperware cantainer, 4 screws, 1 fan, and the magnet off my hard drive motor(i have like 6 broken hds on my desk). i did need to raise the fan slightly to get good magnetic connection through the cantainer and the jar tho so i raised it with cardboard disks.

--------------------
All statments, Imagery, and Ideas contained therin any postings are meerly retold sotrys of fictional acts created by a figmant of the universe imagination.

Offlinessjwizard
Stranger
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: ssjwizard]
    #5569641 - 04/29/06 07:46 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

oh 1 last note to reduce motor resistance i cut all the fan blades off using a pair of wire dykes

--------------------
All statments, Imagery, and Ideas contained therin any postings are meerly retold sotrys of fictional acts created by a figmant of the universe imagination.

Invisiblespacemonster
i've evaporated
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the comfy chair
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: ssjwizard]
    #5583160 - 05/02/06 11:02 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

..post deleted..

Edited by spacemonster (11/20/09 09:33 PM)

OfflineNeoQ
Stranger
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: spacemonster]
    #5583925 - 05/03/06 12:57 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

what is it? I am new,,,,

InvisibleMorden
no title
 User Gallery
    #5589601 - 05/04/06 01:05 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I have a damn strong circle magnet. Is it good for this purpose?

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: Morden]
    #5669190 - 05/24/06 05:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

NeoQ writes:
"what is it? I am new,,,,"

A magnetic stirrer just allows you to agitate a liquid without opening it and introducing contaminants.

Morden writes:
"I have a damn strong circle magnet. Is it good for this purpose? "

I don't know but you could find out by finding a piece of ferrous metal (one that will respond to a magnet), like a piece of wire or a small nail. Put this metal on top of a piece of cardboard, glass, whatever. Then put the magnet under the divider, then turn the magnet. If the nail/wire rotates, then it'll work. If not, then no.

If it doesn't turn the metal, you can always do this:

(1) Mount a jar lid to the fan to give you a surface to work with.
(2) Take two magnets and superglue them to the surface some distance apart. This distance should be no further than the span of the piece of metal.

Here's a pic I made. Might make it easier to visualize.

Remember, in the end product, your magnet will have to be strong enough to turn the metal through the stirrer platform and the jar.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I didn't know that these questions were posed until just now.

splif

--------------------

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Deep within my spirit Flag
    #5678485 - 05/26/06 11:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I just made my first thanks to both of you guys for showing just how cheat this can be done and I like the DIT method as well, I always tell people that I have more time than money(lol). Just to add a note for some you can make a 12v converter from and old ATX power supply or just do whay I did and us an old AT power supply, because they already have a push button start, the ATX you have to jump a few wires but you can find all kinds of sites on the wonderful web on wich wires to jump and so on. But good job on this tek you 2 Splif and blacklabrat.

--------------------
IS NOT THE JOURNEY OF THE TRIP JUST AS IMPORTANT AS REACHING THE DESTINATION.

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: kilroy]
    #5678743 - 05/27/06 12:31 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Glad to help.

splif

--------------------

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
    #5703995 - 06/02/06 02:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice write up splif-

I've got all the needed items here besides a fan (I have so many in my tower heh) so I'm out to hit up the local shit computer shoppe :-D

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: toole]
    #5704000 - 06/02/06 02:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If you look at blacklabrat's magstir, if I replace the plexiglass with real glass, would that mess the magstir up? I'd imagine not..and I can obviously test it easy enough..just wondering if it would be less convenient to use glass.

Thanks.

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Deep within my spirit Flag
Re: DIY Magnetic Stirrer [Re: toole]
    #5704375 - 06/02/06 04:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

mine has a wood top so I can not see where it would mess anything up, just be careful not to break the glass

--------------------
IS NOT THE JOURNEY OF THE TRIP JUST AS IMPORTANT AS REACHING THE DESTINATION.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Magnetic Stirrer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation