Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet?
    #5557650 - 04/26/06 06:07 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

so i'm about to get this new computer. i want to put it in a room with no phone jack. right now i have sbc DSL which comes through the phone jack and into this little modem thing with a bunch of lights....i'm just assuming it's a modem. so i want to have this current computer hooked up to the internet and the one in the other room hooked up to the internet, if possible through the same internet service and source.

my big question - is it possible to get the internet in that room without making the phone company install a new phone jack and HOW do i do this? i don't want to run a cable down the hallway.

also, will i need to get another one of those little modem things?

any help is appreciated! =) i'm kind of lost on how to go about this..

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChikitta
Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: felix]
    #5557664 - 04/26/06 06:19 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You'd need to buy a wireless router (get them for ?40ish in the UK) which you would plug in to the modem you've already got.

Then you'd need a wireless card (if the new computer you get doesn't already have one) and whack that in the new PC.

Personally I'd just run a cable down the hall under the carpet or something.. would save you a lot of money.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: Chikitta]
    #5557692 - 04/26/06 06:38 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i was thinking about the cost of it all. i think you're right though, cable down the hall would probably be much easier and cheaper. thanks for the fast reply!

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Edge of the World
Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: felix]
    #5557716 - 04/26/06 06:51 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, what Chikitta said. You don't have to go wireless unless you really want to. You can just buy a router.
Phone jack --> Modem --> router --> then to the two different comps.
This would be the same as getting wireless except you'd save a few bucks on the normal router vs. the wireless and you wouldn't have to buy to wireless ethernet cards.
Though the cost of the extra cables might need to be considered. Cat5 cable isn't cheap. Still, likely to be overall less expensive than the wireless router + two wireless ethernet cards.
A cost comparison is likely in your best interest.

--------------------
I am the devil and I am just like you

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: nunciate]
    #5558633 - 04/26/06 01:09 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Look at your setup in the long run, most computers today come with wireless cards built in. If you spend the money now on a wireless router (which you can find for as cheap as 20 bucks btw) you can add more systems later effortlessly. This also keeps your place a bit cleaner, you dont have to worry about running line or having a line break, and you can have the internet available in every room of the house.

Personally i said spend the cash and get a wireless router, hard wiring your machines is really only beneficial when the PC is right next to the router.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: coda]
    #5564068 - 04/27/06 06:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the insight guys. i think i'll just price a wireless setup. i would have to run the cable pretty far and it's kind of hard to get up under the carpet here...

--------------------

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#5564072 - 04/27/06 06:49 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

now i just have to figure out what kind of router i should get

--------------------

OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
    #5564161 - 04/27/06 07:19 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Linksys is probably the most popular brand, thats gotta count for something.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#5564175 - 04/27/06 07:22 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have a linksys wrt54g + hyperwrt firmware (an alternative, opensource firmware that expands router options).

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Anybody know anything about hooking up wireless network/internet? [Re: Vvellum]
    #5567650 - 04/28/06 05:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

so i got one of those linksys wrt54gs like you bio and a linksys usb adapter for the other computer instead of a wireless network card.

it's cool cause on that wrt54gs you can run a wire to the computer that doesn't have the wireless hookup along with it routing the wireless signal to the other room.

thanks guys. i'm happy

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale