Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblealleyesonme_7
Game-on
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: Akamatsu]
    #5730126 - 06/09/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

this is a Great tek
works Great

i just made mine

looks very nice

if any of you can;t find strong magnets

looks of ebay
they have some really nice ones some cheap ones
that can lift 49lb that would get your twister going in the jar  :wink:

--------------------
My first Grow

"Not all who wander are lost" - J. R. R. Tolkien 
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan 
"We must learn our limits. We are all something, but none of us are everything." - Blaise Pascal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAscension
Stranger

Loc: Still trying to work it o...
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: alleyesonme_7]
    #5732268 - 06/09/06 09:34 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This is brilliant, So simple but effective, Im bumpin it back to the top so people who missed it can see it.

It should be made a sticky!

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: Ascension]
    #5732596 - 06/09/06 11:09 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ascension, you can always put threads/teks you really like in your sig.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: alleyesonme_7]
    #5732637 - 06/09/06 11:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

If anyone needs one of these HD magnets I will be happy to trade. Just don't know how well it will make it through the PO mail sorter... :grin:

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: bongtoke]
    #5733362 - 06/10/06 07:11 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bongtoke said:
i can make that right now.. iwish the directions wre better..what did you use to hook the fan up to..like how did u wire it?just twine the wires to the celly charger?

http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/vtxlab.htm

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: blacklabrat]
    #5733619 - 06/10/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Very nice write up!~

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll be adding this thread to the Archives...

in a few weeks after everyone has an opertunity to view it here in the Mush Cult.

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleJoeMama
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: Roadkill]
    #5743315 - 06/12/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Too f-ing cool man. I just finished my LC stirrer as well. One thing that I would like to add for the noob (like me)

When you take you HDD apart you will retreive *2* magnets. When you mount them on the cooling fan USE ONLY ONE OF THEM!! I know its tempting to play high school physics and mount them both to 'balance out' the load, but what this does is exactly that. (Inside the jar with the stirrer) In my experiment, the rod/nail/tack (cut off) just sat there not knowing what to do. Between the 2 magnets it never had a chance to spin one way or the other, and it just sat and vibrated. Take 1 magnet off and VIOLA! Instant vortex! BRILLIANT!!
-Me

Offlinemajlo
crazy
Male User Gallery

Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: JoeMama]
    #5744712 - 06/13/06 01:16 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

place one on top of antoher, works for me...

UNTIL I'LL MAKE ANTOHER ONE..heheeheheheeh :smile:

--------------------
Come see our country, but don't stay too long :smile:

Offlineg0pher
sir?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: majlo]
    #5767198 - 06/19/06 08:22 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

GREAT IDEA!

I just made mine and just put it to work, here are some pictures...

The "case" is a little fan guard i yanked from an old PC, and i took a dremel to it to level out the plastic fins to flatten them out.

Here I added little rubber feet so it doesn't slide or make any noise when turned on. Hot glued and taped the wires to the underside :grin:

The little black "cup" on the side is the top to a pen cut in half and hot glued to the side for storage of the stir rod.  The rod came from an old cd-rom i had around, i took it apart and its the little rod that spins the cd inside, its about 1 inch long and works just fine.

In action, although i did fill the water level a little too high, so it doesn't make the vortex all the way to the bottom.

I'm not worried to much about making this water proof since its going to have jars that are going to be covered any way.

Thanks again for your great idea!

--------------------

ALL POSTS ARE FICTIONAL

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5767282 - 06/19/06 08:55 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This is probably a dumb question. allthough i am a newbee. What am i looking at here? what does it do? I have all those parts. Does it grow shrooms, or just stir water to enhance a trip while on shrooms? HA HA that last part was a joke... or was it. maybe add some food coloring with glitter. No really though, i have to know. Thanx and gone.

Offlinedreadful
Lush
 User Gallery

Loc: SF bay area
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: 19741974]
    #5767386 - 06/19/06 09:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It's for something called liquid cultures, or LC's. An LC is made by inoculating a jar of some fluid that can support mycelium rather than a jar of brown rice flour and vermiculite or something. By growing the mycelium in the LC for a while, you can get a bunch of it, suck it up into syringes, and use it to inoculate other things (like jars of substrate or even more LC's).

The contraptions depicted here stir the fluid in the LC to help the mycelium spread evenly throughout it as it grows.

--------------------
It's a grim kind of celebration, a dance on razor's edge ...
-- Scott O. Moore

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #5767593 - 06/19/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

In the first pic, thats called vortexing, very bad for anything your trying to mix. It sucks the atmosphere in and can contaminate your sample. Chemistry 101 lol just thought u should know.

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: 2FiNiTe]
    #5769325 - 06/19/06 06:53 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

2FiNiTe writes:
"In the first pic, thats called vortexing, very bad for anything your trying to mix. It sucks the atmosphere in and can contaminate your sample. Chemistry 101 lol just thought u should know. "

Man, I hate to flame the noobs but one out of every hundred decides to create an account and jump into a thread, dick swinging.

1. The correct stirring rate barely creates a dimple.

2. We cover the hole with polyfill or tyvek. And contaminants can get through neither.

3. I have three LC jars, all of which have been on my stirrer for 8 hours out of every day (and one 24/7) with no contamination whatsoever.

It's annoying (but taken for granted) that new people will ask questions when they could have just read the 8 kabillion posts already written on the subject. But for the love of FUCK, don't show up and start handing out bad info to satiate your need to feel knowledgable.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

OfflineMFKDGAF
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #6006456 - 08/28/06 09:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hey I'm in the process of making my own right now i have the fan running with a jar lid on top and then my magnet, but for some reason it isn't creating a vortex in the jar. Anyone have any suggestions?

OfflineArJunaSpore
 User Gallery

Loc: Hydes Ferry, TN Flag
Thanks for this [Re: blacklabrat]
    #13681334 - 12/24/10 11:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for this post. I was just about to dump at least $80 at Amazon for a magnetic mixer when I came across this post. It took me all of 45 minutes to make mine and it works like a champ.

I made one with one of two magnets I pulled from a crashed 320GB SATA hard drive. and an 80mm computer fan. I do a lot of electronics stuff so I have some cool power supplies which allow me to regulate voltage/current, I hooked one up to the stirrer and I can go from about 40-700 rpm.

Here is a video of the working prototype.

I picked up a magnetic stirring bar from Fungi Perfecti for $6 and it works like a champ with this plate.

I can spin as slow as a little under once a second for a real gentle stir and if I crank it up to about 18 volts it goes so fast that the vortex reaches the bottom of a quart size container.

This idea works great. Thanks.

Now I am going to design a variable power supply and mount the whole works in a small housing of some type and fit it in a thermal-regulated box of some kind for growing cultures.

ETA:
I was also able to make this work using only a small nail with the two ends ground flat in place of the magnetic stirring bar. It was a bit fickle and the container had to be real close to the magnet, but it was workable. The thinner the nail the better. Too large a nail and the force of the magnet will not be able to maintain a hold on the nail against the force of pushing the water. The magnetic stirring rod works much, much better.

Edited by ArJunaSpore (12/27/10 02:11 PM)

InvisibleHarley.Hammerhead
Informed Passenger.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The cold north. Flag
Re: Thanks for this [Re: ArJunaSpore]
    #13681389 - 12/24/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Dam man, Both the Ops post and this guys  :whathesaid:  posts are totaly inspiring.... i came on here for one last xmas eve check and found this, TOTALY worth the check, im guna have to go down and make one of these for xmas, since i allready have all the parts :laugh:

Edit: i have the name for it to, inspired by your name, DJ-SPINSTER is born, Merry Xmas and a happy new year!

--------------------

Edited by Harley.Hammerhead (12/25/10 12:09 PM)

Offlinewindowpaine
pyschonaut
Male

Loc: NC, USA
Re: Meet my free stir plate...SIR MIX_A_LOT! [Re: Harley.Hammerhead]
    #13682999 - 12/25/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome. I'm about 100% sure I have everything for this already, too. Definitely a stir plate in my future.

OfflineArJunaSpore
 User Gallery

#13733223 - 01/05/11 01:02 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Just an update to my post from last week. I finally put some finishing touches on my magnetic stir plate. Here are a few photos and a new video.

I cut a recess in the top plate to keep the magnet nearer to the stir bar. It turns out this was not really necessary because the new magnet I am using is so powerful I can lift the beaker/jar four inches above the plate and it still works.

In the video I am using only a small piece of nail with a piece of heat shrink around it as my stir bar. I can lift this two inches above the plate and it still works well. Older hard drives have better magnets than the newer drives. This one is so powerful I had to put the one inch wooden spacer on the fan. Before I did this the fan would not turn because the magnet caused it to freeze up from the attraction to the fan stator.

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
    #13905911 - 02/04/11 03:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This is Genius I have two hematite magnets that are shaped like footballs, they are called Buzz magnets because when you throw them into the air they hit together making a buzzing sound, if anyone is still looking at this thread will you look at this link and tell me if you think they would work? They stick together just like in the pic and will even hold each other to an inch thick table and when you spin one on one side of the table the other spins the same direction. Plus they are oval shaped so it would give less contact with the bottom of jar for less drag and a much better stir because both ends are raised.

http://www.shopping.com/Toysmith-Buzz-Magnets-Jumbo/info

I could glue one of these to the middle of the fan motor and place one in the jar. Would hematite mess with the LC? Only problem is it might be noisy but you could fix that with some wire shrink wrap.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

OfflineArJunaSpore
 User Gallery

Re: Thanks for this [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #13908810 - 02/05/11 03:34 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I would expect one of those would work quite well for this. I have the exact same magnets and I think they would be plenty strong. Just one would be needed. My design above actually turned out to be a bit too strong. I had to make a couple spacers out of wood to reduce the magnetic pull for some of the containers I use or else it caused drag because it pulled so hard. If you use magnetic stir rods instead of a nail or other steel wire it does not take much magnet on the stirrer to turn it.
Good Luck

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures