Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions
    #5548699 - 04/23/06 07:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This is going to be an exciting match, no doubt. All things considered, I think Matt Hughes will probably have the upper hand - but on the other hand, this is the legendary Royce Gracie. He may be older, but this is going to be a ground fight, and any decent MMA-fan knows where the domain of the Gracies is: the ground.
Yet, Matt Hughes, the hard-nosed country-boy with his phenomenally freakish strength is not a joke on the ground either. The only basis I can establish a strong possibility for Hughes possibly getting owned on the ground is the Hughes vs Penn fight. So clearly, it isn't clear-cut as to who will emerge victorious. But then again.. this is MMA - quite possibly the most unpredictable sport there is.

With that said, make your predictions, folks!

Who will OWN?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (04/23/06 07:13 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #5549023 - 04/23/06 08:32 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This will be a one sided beating like no one's seen before. That is unless Dana asks Matt to go easy on Royce for a little. I'm still not sure what Dana wants more: for matt to destroy royce and show how much UFC has progressed or for it to be an exciting fight and remind people of ufc's roots. I'm guessing the former.

I still can't figure out for the life of me why people think royce has any decent chance of winning. You guys must be underestimating Matt's wrestling and strength.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineHabitual_Liar
Liar Liar PantsOn Fire

Loc: On the couch with ya momm...
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: d33p]
    #5549043 - 04/23/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Gracie is a legend no doubt about it but old timers like him and shamrock should stay out of the octagon. Hughes is young,hungry and talented. The match won't even get past the first round unless Hughes lets it go longer out of pity/respect to the old man!

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #5549157 - 04/23/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

One argument I've seen can be represented in the form of a syllogism:

1)Penn beat Hughes
2)Gracie is better than Penn on the ground

Therefore:

3)Gracie can beat Hughes

:justdontknow:

We'll see.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#5550131 - 04/24/06 03:17 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Well if we are gonna start mma math.

In Royce's last mma fight Hideo Tokoro took him to a decision and won lol

I think we are gonna see a beating.

also im not so sure royce is better than penn on the ground at this point at least. royce really hasn't lived up to the legend lately but frankly im not surprised.

--------------------

bang bang

InvisibleHamstercut
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5550658 - 04/24/06 10:23 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i think its going to be a great fight, i think royces age is going to show, cuz matt hughes is an unbelievably great fighter so its going to be tough for an older guy like royce to beat this great young talent. although im rooting for royce simply because of hughes attitude and cockiness.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: Hamstercut]
    #5551645 - 04/24/06 04:33 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Another major factor in this fight that you guys are overlooking is that Royce will not be able to wear a GI. I would be really surprised if he gets a sub under the circumstances.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineCriminalMinded
Con Artist
Loc: Western Mass
    #5551828 - 04/24/06 05:50 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

My heart says Gracie, but my mind says Hughes. Although you never know though because Gracie is a submissions master and Hughes has proven that it's not impossible to submit him. I'm not only going by the BJ Penn fight, but also in the Carlos Newton fight it appeared Newton had a triangle locked in before Hughes "slammed" him to get the victory. With that said, I'll be rooting Royce, but I wouldn't put my money on him.

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: CriminalMinded]
    #5552156 - 04/24/06 07:17 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

gracie is a rusty old man, hughes should be in prime form

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #5552553 - 04/24/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

No matter who wins it will be a very interesting fight. I really hope that Gracie wins this one.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #5554197 - 04/25/06 07:47 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think it will be a beating, but I do think Hughes will win.

UFC Unleashed last week had an episode devoted entirely to Gracie. I hadn't watched any of his fights in quite some time and was very struck with how much of a dick he was and how little people understood exactly what it was he was doing.

When he got people in a submission he wouldn't let go. They're tapping him, tapping the canvas, the ref is grabbing Gracie and the motherfucker just stays in it. Finally he would let go and then get up with a look like "I fucking owned you. See how mean I am." One guy got put in an arm lock and tapped nearly immediately. Gracie just held on for probably a good 20-25 seconds until he broke the guys arm. The whole time this guy is tapping.

It was also funny to hear the announcers because they didn't even understand what was going on. "What happened? Why's he tapping?"

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineCriminalMinded
Con Artist
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #5555558 - 04/25/06 05:14 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
When he got people in a submission he wouldn't let go. They're tapping him, tapping the canvas, the ref is grabbing Gracie and the motherfucker just stays in it. Finally he would let go and then get up with a look like "I fucking owned you. See how mean I am." One guy got put in an arm lock and tapped nearly immediately. Gracie just held on for probably a good 20-25 seconds until he broke the guys arm. The whole time this guy is tapping.

The fight you were talking about has an inside story behind it. I believe something happened to Gracie, either a low blow or he was bitten during the fight. I don't know the details and sorry for being so vague but I do remember reading a story/post about that awhile back on Sherdog and when I saw that fight you were talking I thought to myself that must've been the fight.

Again, sorry for being so vague I'm going to try find the whole story behind what happened.

OfflineCriminalMinded
Con Artist
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: CriminalMinded]
    #5555576 - 04/25/06 05:20 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Ah I fucked up the quote, damn I'm a moron....

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#5556030 - 04/25/06 07:24 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I'm pretty sure Royce never broke anyone's arm in the ufc. However i remember him holding onto Keith Hackney's arm in an armbar for a long time but that was only because BJM didn't see Hackney tapping and he just took a while before stepping in to the stop the fight.

Its understandable especially with what happened with the first shamrock fight. Boy, was that ref blind.

--------------------

bang bang

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #5556552 - 04/25/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think it was Hackney. I think it was Jason Delucia. I just searched forever though and couldn't find mentioned anywhere. But after the fight was over, they said what had happened specifically. They used exact medical terminology (which escapes me right now) to describe what was broken. I remember thinking it had to do with the shoulder area.

Irregardless, the guy was tapping for a long time and Gracie should have released him. I did find it mentioned that the Gracie camp was pissed that he even entered the fight because apparently he was a student of their's at one time and wasn't supposed to be there.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleHamstercut
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5556787 - 04/25/06 10:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

When he got people in a submission he wouldn't let go. They're tapping him, tapping the canvas, the ref is grabbing Gracie and the motherfucker just stays in it. Finally he would let go and then get up with a look like "I fucking owned you.

yea i was originally rooting for royce, but after i saw that shit i want hughes to pound his fuckin face in.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: Hamstercut]
    #5557700 - 04/26/06 06:42 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Gracie if it's a submission, Hughes if it's (T)KO.

I think Hughes will attempt to keep it on their feet because Gracie's a technician on the ground.

--------------------

InvisibleMrSinister
Uncle T
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outworld
Re: Hughes vs Gracie: Your Predictions [Re: blink]
    #5557736 - 04/26/06 07:12 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I have to agree this one could change at any moment.

Now i personally think Hughes could bang the living shit out of Royce if this stays standing, and you could be looking at a KO. But this isn't going to stay standing for the whole fight, and i really want to see this go to the ground. Matt Hughes has a descent ground game as well. It could go either way. 

As for Royce holding on to people and not letting them up when they tap, you got to  remember those matches took place back when UFC wasn't really  that many set rules, other then don't hit them in the nuts, or bite them.:lol:  Royce has said he felt he needed to dominate people in the beginning. Have a brother as good as Rickson(A few of you will know who this is) and see how much you feel you need to prove.

Side note: SkorpivoMusterion i am sure you want to get your revenge, so here we go again :lol:....  I personally like both fighters, and could cheer either though the whole fight.  So I'll give you the option of picking either Gracie or Hughes, and we can do another 2 weeks. What do you say?  I got another Avatar just waiting with your name on it.  :hehehe:

--------------------

"They look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits 'em. I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

"Eric Stratton.. Rush chairman.. Damn glad to meet you.."

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

#5559092 - 04/26/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't think anything was broken. I've actually heard a rumor that Delucia somehow broke his leg with that side kick though. Don't really believe that though.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/652

Here is anohter fight between Royce and Delucia. Rorion is doing the commentary.

--------------------

bang bang

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder