Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus
    #551426 - 02/14/02 03:04 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Can we gather some information related to cold shocking, versus not cold shocking, cubensis casings?

I never cold shock. Here are my time frames from casing the substrate to pin set.

Golden Teacher 7 days
P.Rican 13 days
PESA 15 days
Lipa Ya 10 days
Mexi-cube 9 Days
B+ 9 days
EQ 9 Days

These are for non cold shocked casings. Average times!!! Some are a day or two faster, some are a day or two longer. But these are the average times.

Please Add information on Casing to Pin times for COLD SHOCKED CASINGS of whatever cubensis strains you want. Preferably, some of the ones listed above.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoangelo
Re: Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus [Re: ]
    #553007 - 02/15/02 07:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ummm... Wouldn't there be other factors involved?
Such as depth of Colonized substrate and depth of casing material? You can't really compare pin-set times unless you compare results under similar conditions.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus [Re: Mycoangelo]
    #553135 - 02/15/02 10:40 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Are we talking about the same temps, substrate (type and amount), casing (type and thickness) and humidity??
If so, then this is quite interesting - the fastest ive ever seen was an incredible four days from casing from the Tasmanian strain. This strain did not even wait to colonise the casing, it just pushed straight through the shit - i went to give it a scratch after taking it out of the incubator and i ripped up some small fruits!
It was really weird - i didnt get any fruits actually forming on the casing layer until the second flush.

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #553187 - 02/15/02 11:47 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well, that would make up for the long ass colonization time!

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Anonymous

Re: Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus [Re: Mycoangelo]
    #553744 - 02/16/02 04:47 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have found that the type of substrate, depth of substrate are not determining factors for time to pin set. As long as the substrate is colonized at the time of casing, it is irrelevant in my experience.

Thickness of casing is relatively irrelevant also. As long as you initiate at the same point of colonization. With thicker casings, you just incubate a little longer. It has not slowed the pin set in my experience. With P. Rican, I still get pin sets at an average of 13 days, wether it is a thin casing or a thick casing. I just get a more uniform pin set with the thicker casing, because of less overlay.

Temperature is a determining factor in the speed of colonization, and the speed of maturation. I am assuming it would also effect the speed of pinset. This is why I am raising this question. I see lots of posts, inside of threads, that reccomend cold shocking as a means to initiate pins. In my rationale, I think this will only SLOW the pin set.

I am looking for experiences with cold shocking. I don't care what your substrate is, as long as it is a fruitable substrate. I don't care how thick your colonized substrate is, I don't care how thick your casing layer is. To me these have very little importance in time to pin set.

If it will help to reduce the static. What are your times from Placing the Casing in the fruiting terrarium, INITIATION, to pin set?

At what point do you cold shock? After casing layer colonization, and before initiation in the fruiting chamber. What is the time frame from Cold shock to Pin set.

My adjusted Times would be:

GT 5 days
P. Rican 11 days
PESA 13 days
Lipa Ya 8 days
Mexi-cube 7 days
B+ 7 days
EQ 7 days

My casings are initiated at temps between 75-80 degrees F.

Any body with experience in COLD SHOCKING any of these strains?

What are the TIME FRAMES from cold shock to PIN SET?

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
    #555384 - 02/18/02 01:44 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

IME, B+ and Amazonian, when cold-shocked, will take 3 days for first pins to form following initiation. I don't know if I would say that cold shocking will speed the onset of pinning, but, I haven't found it to slow it!

IME cold shocking helps prevent overlay as well. dude is trying some PR's now, and we will see if this is the case for them as well.

Dude cold shocks, at the same time when you would initiate.

Dude finds cold shocking's major benefit to be: no matter long a casing is cold shocked, it will always take 3 days to pin after placed under initiation conditions. Depending upon your setup, this may be a benefit, or it may not. Dude finds it nice to be able to place six trays into the fridge within a few days of eachother, take them out, then have them all flush at the same time.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: Cold Shocking Cubensis Consensus [Re: Olgualion]
    #555556 - 02/18/02 04:55 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

teonan has a point. From now on we should reccomend that anyone doing a cold shock shoud set up a control casing also so that we can really see if this works or not.

If im not mistaken the idea for cold shocking gained most of its popularity thru PF, I wonder if he had a scientific reason for speedy pinning after cold shocking, or was it just that he always used it and it actually had no effect.

thanks for raising such an interesting question teonan.

Anonymous

#555706 - 02/18/02 09:00 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Olqualion
How long do you incubate your casings for prior to the cold shock? Do you just cold shock for the night, and still get this 3 day to pin time frame? Sounds very promising!!!

I don't seem to have trouble with overlay, so I am trying to see if it is beneficial for speeding up pin set. Some strains seem to take a bit longer to pin, from casing, and this sounds like it might be great. If I put PESA casings in the fridge at day two from casing, when I would be initiating normally, and take them out the next day and put them in the fruiting chamber, I should have pins at day six, as opposed to day 16. This seems like it would be VERY EXCELERATED.

Sounds very promising
Thanks Teonan

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
    #555723 - 02/18/02 09:17 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The casings are incubated until there is a light but even amount of mycelium is poking through the valleys. This is the point at which one of dude's casings would be shocked. Dude tries to leave it in the fridge for 16 hours. Dude hasn't used PESA's, but the Amazonians he has also took three days after removal from the fridge. We will see how quickly he can get the PR's to pin soon.

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Anonymous

#555736 - 02/18/02 09:27 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks

Keep us updated on the P. Ricans.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate