Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
one last question, and i think i should be set
    #555320 - 02/18/02 01:44 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok here is the deal, im working on my first attempt and everything is goin good so far. i did 8 brf/verm cakes on thursday and i can see growth in all but one. now i need to deal with the heat/humidity issue. im very limited on cash but i can get enough for a fish tank heater, which i have determined that i will need. the thing im not totally sure of is that will just the heater in a jar of water provide enough humidity for 8 cakes (using a 70L terrarium). will i still need the perlite for humidity?? i will not be able to get an air pump for the jar just the heater. ive come this far now and i really wanna give my little guys the ideal conditions for growth. and one last thing i plan on hand misting after i fan to help with the humidity loss on the co2 oxygen exchage. so basiclly all i would like to know, will the heater provide enough humidity by itself w/o an air pump for extra evaporation of the water. thank you for any help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: one last question, and i think i should be set [Re: dDigitalPimp]
    #555458 - 02/18/02 05:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Q:"will the heater provide enough humidity by itself "
A: It can provide 100% if you leave the top open. The water will evaporate quickly and youll need to top it off every so often . You can cover more or less of the jars opening to alow more or less moisture, but it requires alot of tinkering to get it perfect.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Re: one last question, and i think i should be set [Re: Northernsoul]
    #555469 - 02/18/02 05:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok i went out and got a heater, its 100watts and has an adjustible temp. but the shitty thing is the temps arent labeled, in the instructions it says to turn to the right for warmer and to the left for colder. that would probablly work fine, but i cant afford a temp/humidity gauge right now, cause i spent way more than i should of on all the other shit. the jar i put it into has a mouth that is less than an inch larger than the heater itself, so its not like an open bucket of water or anything. so whats everyone's opinion on how much to seal the opening, if the heater is also my humidity source? thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. i really appreciate all the help.

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
    #555483 - 02/18/02 05:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

if you can cough up 10 more bucks, all your problems can be solved, go to the grocery store, get the biggest jar of pickles you can buy, it will run you less tha 4 bucks, you can eat the pickles, if you choose, or just throw them away which feels very strange (i hate wasting food, even something as unappatizing as pickles) and that will be the perfect container to hold your heater in, use foil over the lid to control the humidity, and for your other 6 bucks, you can purchase a nice aqarium pump from pet smart, and an air bubbler and the tubing.

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Re: one last question, and i think i should be set [Re: MickyFinn]
    #555523 - 02/18/02 06:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

the reason i am using the bottle that i have is cause its a really nice size for my terrarium. if i knew what i know now i probablly woulda got a bigger rubbermaid. the jar holds about 35-40 ounces of water and its the perfect size for the heater i got today. see my terrarium isint that big, only 70L and since im starting with cakes i need give them some more space for the ones that can grow out the sides, if i used the biggest jar i could find it would take up about 1/4 of my terrarium. i just set up the terrarium with the heater and have the jars in there too, cause i want them to colonize as quick as possible, now that im looking at it, its been an hour since i stuck it in there and i see no signs of condensation anywhere, but i know that my terrarium is very air tight. ooh well, a digital therm/humidity would be the best, but right now i cant afford it.

OfflinedDigitalPimp
    #555528 - 02/18/02 06:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

its kinda funny how one last question turns into 15, thanks for the help.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#555530 - 02/18/02 06:18 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, your doing cakes right? In this case you wont really need a humidity guage because you want it as damp as possible pretty much, 95-100%. Youll see alot of condensation building up on the sides of your grow chamber and on the lid when its 95-100%. You may smear some vaseline on the lid to prevent water build up and dripping on your cakes.
You can go with the pickle jar.
Q:" how much to seal the opening, if the heater is also my humidity source?"
A: " First cover half of the opening, then if that doesnt cause enough humidity then open it all the way. Ive just had a jar open a quarter way before and it gave off alot, so just play with it.
You will need a thermometer to figure out how warm the jar is getting since there isnt a guage. Once you have figured out how far you have to turn the dial to get 70-75, just leave it and it will shut off when it gets too warm, and turn on again when things get colder, thats the joy of having an aquarium heater.

If you still have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask.

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #555536 - 02/18/02 06:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok i see you already have your setup in place but ill advise a few things.
first off go to a pet store and buy a stick-on reptile terrarium; usually range from 65-90 degrees or so; and theyre very accurate and about 2 or 3 bucks.
dont waste your money on a hygrometer. read around and youll see why but theyre ALMOST useless to us shroom growers; unless you get a 'good' one and thats gonna run you more money than im sure you wanna dish out.
if you live near a k-mart you can make a very efficient incubator for almost nothing. get two (2) rubbermaid containers that are the exact same brand and size. fill one with water about 2 inches (depending on the size of your containers) and if you have a totally submersable water heater (mine was 10 bucks at the same pet store i got the thermometer at) and plop that in the water. stack the second tub right on top of the 1st one with water. heater heats the water and it keeps your inside container nice and warm. put your jars in there and put the top back on.
additional humidity is not needed in this setup; or almost any incubator setup. all your moisture stays in your jars pretty well; especially with a sealed incubator (sealed only by the lid). if you feel the need you can spray your lid or something before you replace it but it wont do too much except attract crap you dont want like mold.
no need to worry at all about humidity or CO2/O2 until you remove the cakes from the jar. only exception to that is that if your jars are taking a long-ass time (long-ass is defined as cubensis mycellium taking more than 30 days to colonize) try flipping the jars over to release the almost 100% CO2 buildup that has accumulated over that long-ass time. anything short of a long-ass time will have less CO2 buildup and not require O2 exchange.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Re: one last question, and i think i should be set [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #555581 - 02/18/02 07:38 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thank you all for taking the time to deal with me. i pretty much understand the whole idea now, and the heater seems to be working pretty well. the only reason i am worried that the heater isint gonna produce enough humidity. its been in there a couple of hours and still no condensation, for now i know that this isint an issue but this is the same terrarium that im gonna be growing the shrooms in(i dont have two seperate for incubation and growth stages) and if this heater in the jar is supposed to produce near 100% humidity with the top uncovered. well its been like three hours now in the and still no condensation, if this was the growth stage id be fucked, but now i have at least a week or more to figure out what to do. i guess if this heater isint gonna produce the humidity needed (like it should be doing by now) ill just have to figure an alternative out.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#555628 - 02/18/02 08:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well if the room that you grow in is warm then condensation doesnt form, its only when the inner temps are warmer than the outer temps, throw in a little grade 6 science and you know what I mean. Its either that or your container is not sealing very well. Try some weather stripping from the hardware store for that problem.

How are your temps doing? Is it warm enough in there? If it is, that means you couldnt blast the heater up some more to get more humidity like I would. In this case I would get some perlite (very cheap) ....Ive never really used it myself so maybe look up how much you need at the bottom of the terrarium.

Remember, the bigger the terrarium, the harder it is to get high humidity.

Any more questions?

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Re: one last question, and i think i should be set [Re: Northernsoul]
    #555644 - 02/18/02 09:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

here is why im concerned: my landlord has our heat set at 70 and we cant do anything about it. thats no big deal, but at midnight it shuts off til 8 or 9am. so i figure i really wont need the heater except for at night. a couple of weeks ago when my terrarium was finished i wanted to test the air tightness(if thats even a word) so i hand sprayed the terrarium with nothing in it a few times, and everything was all wet like it should be. i understand that condensation forms like on the toilet in the summer and its scientific logic, but shouldnt my terrarium be even a little damp? the heater has been in for about 5hrs now or so and still nothing, temps dont seem that much higher, but i still need to get a thermometer to be sure. the jar is thick glass with that small mouth like i was saying before, the only other thing i could think about doin is a plastic milk carton(not the bigger one but the taller skinnier one, i dont buy milk so i dunno what size its called). maybe heat will esacpe more from the plastic and cause the heater to kick on more and cause more evaporation of water into the air. im not sure but i think thats what im goin for, i need to get the water in the jar to evaporate into the air and hence more humidity. im rackin my brain here, just thinkin of things cause its all gonna come down to if i can get the right conditions in my room. i wish i could just adjust the heat in my house and use some perlite, but the heat i cant do anything about. thank you for helping me so much, it just sucks now cause i have this terrible feeling about the whole heat situation, fuck humidity ill get perlite but as for the heat im clueless what to do now. i just covered my terrarium with a blanket and i guess ill wait a while see if that helps but other than the different bottle i have no idea what to try next. i guess its at least good that i started worring about conditions now as opposed to when the jars are done, but they are getting there, probablly be ready sometime next week. im sorry for goin on and on but all this time, money, effort, and learning ive put into my shrooms i dont want it all to go to shit. ill be here refreshing the browser and racking my brain. thanks.

OfflinedDigitalPimp
    #555720 - 02/18/02 11:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok its all taken care of. time for this thread to go to the archives, im so sick of looking at it can a mod. please make it go away now??? if anyone was interested, it was the size of my bottle, well not the size imo but the fact that the mouth of the jar was almost fully covered by the heater, it kinda sucks now tho, i have a smaller terrarium with a fucking gallon of water in it, damn space should be used for the little guys comin up in a week or two. but i plan on casing once i get the hang of it all, so its not a huge deal. THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME. i cant stress it enough, i wouldnt have been able to get as far as i am now without this board and you guys. sounds like i just won an oscar or something, but its the truth without you it couldnt have happened(this far at least) for me. late.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation