Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: inski]
    #5788988 - 06/25/06 09:42 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ya I think Id go slow on those......especially anything not widely tested cause you can have so much variability in the chemical make up of things from different geographical locations where some varieties of one species may be ingested no probs in one place and toxic in another local.

Quote:

inski said:
If you mean Pittosporum umbellatum? it's native to NZ :cool:
Does it have a pink flower?

I dont think ? Ive ever seen P. umbellatum here but you never say never in this area......Im pretty sure ? P. undulatum is original to Oz tho extremely invasive to NZ.....but its got small white flowers with extremely (nice) aromatic wavy (undulating) leaves and can get huge! here commonly planting itself(birds) in both local native and yard scapes with no probs.......also got a HUGE Myoporum in the back yard and the ground cover version of that Myoporum has become one of our dominant planted roadside plants.

Cabbage trees (along with Aussie & NZ / Tasmanian Tree Ferns) have also always been common characters here in yards and dont think Ive ever seen any with the ability to escape here but we have a couple small groves bout 300 - 400 miles up from here along the NorCal coast which have become naturalized from escape up in the Redwood fog belt in open areas growing right along side the giant Coastal Redwoods (Sequoia) interestingly.....also seen large amounts of escaped Sacred Datura (Brugmansia) sanguinea in one area along the coast.

And aye !.....you want Eucs (Gums)......get a 100 ft here in a wink(not quite the 400ft forests of Oz) and are planted in every buisness, school, store, etc. landscape and Orange/ Avocado groves and at the right time of year you cant find one that doesnt (EDIT:have)the Common Sulfer Shelf Fungus(Laetiporus sulphureus) exploding out the bottom but exceptionally bitter on Eucs for some reason :confused:

So its not so much a special interest NZ and Oz plants as its just we got more of them here than yoall  :grin:

Just want to mention also that just because something has Psilocybin it doesnt mean it doesnt(love double negatives) have something in it that can kill you....there are for instance species of Inocybes which have been found to contain active indoles and which blue quite readily but is not something you would want to consider in the least with such a deadly group.....

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Edited by shroominDole (06/25/06 10:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: shroominDole]
    #5789036 - 06/25/06 10:07 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

hey Inski, I gotta tell you man, I am envious of your location- you find the funkiest, most unusual, awesome mushrooms!!!!

Well at least you have a digi cam, So I can atleast drool over my keyboard.  :tongue:
I am really intrigued by these Weraroa, more so than any other active genus. 
What do you think about the culivation of this species?  It micorrhizal, huh?

Oh yeah, I am in the process of moving so I will not/have not been on as much lately- I missed this post when it first showed up!

--------------------

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: CureCat]
    #5789111 - 06/25/06 10:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Weraroa are extremely closely related to Psilocybe and many consider it to be the ancient ancestor to the whole Strophariaceae family and like the rest of the family stricly saprobes (dead material) and non mycorhizal.....we also have an incredible looking Weraroa here in California which occurs in swampy areas tho its not active...

NZ is some of the most incredible looking rainforest (true rainforest ?) Ive seen on the tele (and believe me Ive traveled the worlds rainforests from the tele) from all the shows they film there now (takin away our bis)....its almost too perfect and clean lookin....almost looks fake like if you were create the perfect jungle set.....most of shows look like that.....maybe theyre all shot in the same general area.....is it true what they say there's some chick runnin round the jungles down there in a leather 'MINI' with long black hair and a big giant sword and her little girlfriend always right there by her side kickin dudes behinds ???.....Lucy Flawless or sumthin.....Id let em catch me...

--------------------
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Edited by shroominDole (06/25/06 11:07 AM)

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
    #5789795 - 06/25/06 04:27 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi,

I found these specimens out in Raglan yesterday, which is south of where Inski found his ones.

Super strong bluing reaction with any damage. These were found growing on rotting leaf material, made up of a mix of cabbage trees and flax. I am interested in trying them, although you seem more cautious of them in this thread than others.

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: montmont]
    #5789971 - 06/25/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi,

Some cross sections of what I found..

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

#5790014 - 06/25/06 05:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

As a note, the cut mushrooms have gone vivid blue where they have been cut, in the space of 5 to 10 minutes.

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5790721 - 06/25/06 09:58 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Got tons of Flax (Phormium) here also....grew up with one by my front door.....we used to beat the hell out of it......now I get my plants beaten up......" what comes around........."

Ya Id just say go with caution on anything not thouroughly tested which these are NOT especially in all geographical locations if really at all.....

Leave it to the Guinea Pigs....especially with the SUB action some areas can get like yours.....I shutter to think how crazy things would get here if people were findin SUBs like they can there....or if it was at all common knowledge that SUBBs can be found here in every other lawn sometimes.....

You definately have Weraroa novaezelandiae ( as opposed to the other species)

Exceptional and clear pics / close ups of those shrooms...

--------------------
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #5791429 - 06/26/06 02:10 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hehehe, I wanna move to NZ!!
Instead I get to go to Oceanside -_-

--------------------

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: CureCat]
    #5791452 - 06/26/06 02:20 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I only have a few so will give them a go in a day or two. There seems to be more and more documentation on here of people taking them. I think so long as I only take a few and then go from there I should be OK.

Thanks for the comments on the pics. They managed to capture the bluing fairly well.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #5791551 - 06/26/06 03:05 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I definately think they are relativley safe - noone reports physical sickness/vomiting as you would expect with a non edible mushroom. I think these are actually quite commonly consumed, its just that noone has reported it on here.

A lot of second hand stories about them.

Anonymous

Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: Feelers]
    #5791573 - 06/26/06 03:18 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Apparently no subs in our rainforest , i don't believe it i live pretty much right bang smack on the edge of the Waitakeres on the west front, at the beach. Apparently P.Makarorae might be around if no subs? what do you fellas think about the denseness of the bush being scourable, how far would one have to look, or more so how many times.... i hear in tea tree brush and stuff where they grow densely it seems to be so wet and so perfect for them. Cant do any harm looking. For me anyhow, im slack! Those pouches are interesting, i have a feeling in my gut they grow everywhere around here too... Its the beaches i tell you, the beaches!

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: ]
    #5791676 - 06/26/06 05:44 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

More likely to find Psilocybe aucklandii although I have found Ps subaeruginosa in a bark garden on the way to Piha!
Also, according to Johnston and Buchanan's work Ps makarorae is only documented from Bay of plenty, Westland, Otago Lakes and Dunedin.
inski.

--------------------

Edited by inski (06/26/06 05:55 AM)

Anonymous

#5791763 - 06/26/06 07:27 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

well a little birdy tried to tell me otherwise a local thought he'd once seen what resembled PS makarorae PM'ged me...
hopefully he's right. cant help lbut look... Aucklandaii...???
They love dense wet pine forest though and there is no pine in the waitakere ranges!!!, inski so i think that rules that out. if i wanted them i could go and get some from far away spots...
but i don't like them so much. long way to go too. Ive seen where they grow and i doubt they'd be in the waitakere ranges unless they love pig droppings , or got under a random pine... or similar substrate.
i thought it was more the pine substrate they liked?
If in Australia they are cleaning up subs in areas of Eucalyptus forest or whatever it is, wouldn't it be logical to assume that there would be areas of bush here in the waitakere s with similar potential substrate and or ideal conditions that could accommodate the wonderful little beasts!
Got to be One out there... Hunt on tomorrow , ill post results.
amped to get some nice little Sub picks on too.
WHOOP whoop woooop!  :biggrin:

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: ]
    #5794955 - 06/27/06 05:47 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi :cool:
You should do a search, New Zealand journal of botany, find the year 1995 then find the document, The genus Psilocybe (Agaricales) in New Zealand. Download the pdf and do some reading!
I have also found specimens that are very similar to Ps makarorae but after much research I'm sure they're Ps caerulipes.
Good luck for the hunt!
inski.

--------------------

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #5794982 - 06/27/06 06:06 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Here's the link, and above is the file itself, although I think the PDF is open to public viewing.
http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjb/1995/82.pdf

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: Feelers]
    #5797392 - 06/27/06 09:36 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thats it! thanks Feelers.
inski.

--------------------

Offlinedamo_shmamo
Stranger
    #5852337 - 07/12/06 08:44 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The W. novaezelandiae is very popular in Wellington. Thats what I know to be NZ's blue meanie. Heaps of people are weary of taking it cause its

Offlinedamo_shmamo
Stranger
    #5852359 - 07/12/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why the hell wont it post my full reply????

Offlinedamo_shmamo
Stranger
    #5852390 - 07/12/06 08:54 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The W. novaezelandiae is very popular in Wellington. Thats what I know to be NZ's blue meanie. Heaps of people are weary of taking it cause its "ugly" which i think is pretty funny and pathetic. I can assure you they look better in wellington very neat, tidy with nice form, texture and colour (ill see if i can get some pics up). Theyve been used for years down here and im surprised at how little people know about them.

The only setback is finding them. Very few times i have found them growing where you can see them. The best places to look for these would be to dig under grass/leaves to get to rotten wood etc. Or maybe thats just to get the good ones. And nearly everytime ive found W. Erythrocephala growing nearby. Thats helped me out a few times in discovering new patches.

Oh and for people who think that P. Aucklandii only grows in the auckland area = not true. I have found them in Wellington on my many many expeditions. Although not many maybe 1 or 2 at a time. But their there.

Edited by damo_shmamo (07/12/06 08:55 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Weraroa Pouch Fungus from NZ!? [Re: damo_shmamo]
    #5853683 - 07/13/06 02:50 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

really? How did u ID them?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds