Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Hunting Forum: Quick notice.
    #5528036 - 04/18/06 01:16 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I've got two things to bring up.

1. We added eris as a moderator to the hunting forum. He's been helping out here for years and it's about time we give him mod privledges. This guy is VERY knowledgable and gives solid advice everytime. He's someone you can definately trust on IDs and advice. Respect his authoritii... If you're an idiot he can ban you now. :wink:

2. I'm back in full force now. I was really busy with life and college last fall and over the winter. To be honest I kind of lost interest in mushrooms. Now I'm back to the old me after this spring's morel season.

I know we were really lax about rules over the past 6 months or so, but  I'll be enforcing the rules just as "nazi like" as I used to... So be prepared to follow them. :wink: What the other mods do is their business, but I'll be enforcing them.

On a happier note, I don't plan on being as much of a dick as I used to when enforcing the rules. I've grown out of that I guess. Only things that'll still set me off is when tards' be eatin unidentified mushrooms or giving them to their friends. I'd avoid the "when/what time should I go hunting?" too.  :tongue:

I hope every one has been well and the hunting this year goes well.

-Gumby

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMead

Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: Gumby]
    #5528489 - 04/18/06 07:32 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, I've seen great things from Eris lately.
Glad to see you're getting back in the swing of things Gumby.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5528515 - 04/18/06 07:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I know where you are coming from. Some years, I lost most interest due to droughts. There's just no motivation for me to go out looking when I know there won't be much of anything.
I always thought you did a good job, I wouldn't call it nazi like.. When the season is in full swing, it can get pretty crazy in here. Seems like there can be tons of the exact same threads with new users asking when they should go out, if actives grow in their area, etc.
I have never had a post edited, deleted, or been warned because I do my best to follow the rules in any forum here - so if everyone just actually took time to read and followed the rules, there would be no problem.
You would think that they would either notice other locked threads on the same page like theirs, the big obvious rules thread right on the top of the page, or even the disclaimer.. But some people still just want quick answers rather than taking their time and finding these things out on their own.
It bothers me to see people who are in such a rush to find some actives that they are careless and avoid doing some basic research at least - for their own safety benefit. All of the time spent posting here I have seen so many threads like that, I can't even begin to keep track.
Anyway, good to have you back frequently Gumby.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleMead

Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: eris]
    #5528539 - 04/18/06 07:48 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I find it odd the numbers of people who don't search here, yet they searched google to find the shroomery(most likely.)

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: Mead]
    #5528571 - 04/18/06 08:11 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

well, the thing that is most likely turing people away from the sites search engine is because the search results are set at a default, which if someone doesn't interpret it correctly, can easily be misguided to believe that there is no results available for that subject matter.

btw - congrats on your modship, eris.
and gumby, this forum is a mess, rules are made to be followed, so break out the whip and start crackin!  :cool:

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #5528633 - 04/18/06 08:47 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Congrats, MCIABR, I mean eris. j/k. You should be a mod. You've been around as long as anyone.
Eris knows his shit.
It's good to see you back Gumby. I wouldn't call it nazi like either, you just can come out and say the things alot of us are thinking. :thumbup:
Used to drive YESSUP :banghead: I think he would really appreciate your company, but his pc crashed.

:peace:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (04/18/06 08:49 AM)

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #5528643 - 04/18/06 08:53 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Do you mean the default limit of searching posts newer than one month?

The search posts function is pretty effective for me - I've had great results when searching.

I like the ability to be able to search just the subject title or both the subject and body if I need it.
For example if someone wants to find discussion about a specific state or country, they could just search main threads/subject title only - dating back a few years or so and will probably find lots of threads on their state. There's a good chance that every state has been discussed in this forum at one time or another.

If no results come up searching for a thread title, searching post bodies will usually yield some results as lots of discussion can branch off of a certain topic and it's impossible to cover all of the important keywords in just the thread title. Searching the body can give you more results than you might need. Like someone mentioning a species name in an ID request which might not help you.

I try to use only necessary keywords - sometimes the more words you use in a search, the more irrelevant results you can get.
Example: if I wanted to find info on let's say Panaeolus subbalteatus, I would search for just "subbalteatus". Sometimes adding extra words can come up with more stuff than you need. If I had added the word "Panaeolus", some discussion about the panaeolus genus or other species could come up. Another way would be to put "Panaeolus subbalteatus" in quotes, but sometimes just the species name is used.
If you use quotes in a search, only results with your exact quote will come up.

Also if you are having trouble finding a thread that you remember - you can search by user name, or click on any user's name to get a list of the threads which that person started.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#5528684 - 04/18/06 09:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

eris said:
Do you mean the default limit of searching posts newer than one month?

Absolutely.  I guess it's a bit of a "luxury" to just punch in a search topic in google and not have to worry about relevance, or date of material for that matter.  But I believe that is what is throwing people(generally noobs) off with the search feature here.
I think it should be a default of a minimum of newer than one year. 
Having it set at a month is geared for the more frequent user, which they should hopefully know that there is a date range you need to set.  But, the noob is the culprit in the generation of many a useless thread, all because they "searched, and couldn't find anything...."

Lazy nOObs!!  :tongue2:

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5528724 - 04/18/06 09:40 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder if some people even know how far back to search.
The only thing I see regarding when the site was created is the small print "Copyright 1997-2006 Mind Media" at the bottom.
You could see what people think about it in WA&F. Since it can be manually changed pretty easily, I don't know if anything will be done about it.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#5528772 - 04/18/06 09:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Meh, I tried rec. things that should be done for this site in the past.  I quickly found out that no one cares, unless you are a popular member.  Theres the tight cliques here that like the way things are run, and no one wants to stray away from the norm.

anyways, I dont want to sound like a complainer.  I :heart: The Shroomery.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #5530162 - 04/18/06 04:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

welcome eris!~

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5530201 - 04/18/06 04:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Congrats to eris.

Death to the infidels! Go get 'em, Gumby!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5530338 - 04/18/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

big shout out to all the moderators old and new for making this site kick so much ass

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5530772 - 04/18/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:

Death to the infidels! Go get 'em, Gumby!

Happy mushrooming!

:thumbup:

:butcher:

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: xmush]
    #5530881 - 04/18/06 08:12 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

congradulations eris, I hope you have a good long run here. I have one question to Gumby. I thought it was 'where', not when/what time was the big no no when it comes to actives.

I think mostly the same holds true for any kind, especially prime edibles. Time/when can cover multiple states/countries, and that's just a weather function, yes?....when is the right time of year?. I dunno, people get crazy ideas about shrooms sometimes, as mentioned above here and all over. I've heard people say the best time is in the morning, when the dew is just starting to lift.....well, no..Even the fastest cubensis take 3 days or so :P

But even there it can't be where they all come up at the same time. I've never picked cubies in the wild, back east, but no mushrooms all come up at the same time in the wild, especially when it covers a wide area like Texas, through Florida.

The only time you can do that is indoors, right? Sorry if I missed something, but I don't remember time being a no-no...Not important for me right now, because the season is just about over here, until next November.

I always thought location was the big deal, no-no....That's common sense anyway...Nobody who does the hard work it takes to find them is willing to give away locations, active or no active..You know what I mean?

It's hard enough as it is

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: auweia]
    #5530915 - 04/18/06 08:19 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

erm, in other words, if people post photos from today of a nice find, well there's your when/what time right there....

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting Forum: Quick notice. [Re: auweia]
    #5533618 - 04/19/06 01:21 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

As of late the "what/when" has been an issue. "Where,"  particularly when people ask for exact location is a big no no. The 3 W's (what/where/when) can easily be answered by reading the FAQs. If people read the rules, they'd know that they're supposed to read the FAQs before asking, and that'd eliminate that problem. But people will be people  :rolleyes:

In regards to the search function: I believe the default is set to 1 months because searches of all posts ever made puts a huge load on the server. I'm not sure what the current specs are on the server, but I remember in the past when our user load was so high that they had to disable the search function all together because it was slowing the site down to the point that it was un-usable.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#5533978 - 04/19/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

In regards to the search function: I believe the default is set to 1 months because searches of all posts ever made puts a huge load on the server. I'm not sure what the current specs are on the server, but I remember in the past when our user load was so high that they had to disable the search function all together because it was slowing the site down to the point that it was un-usable.

Thanks Gumby. Do you think it would make a difference if it was set at 1 year, instead of one month? I mean a noticable difference.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5536246 - 04/20/06 12:59 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure, really. The posts here date back around 8 years. On terms of server load, that'd be a question for the admins. I can ask them if you'd like.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#5537027 - 04/20/06 10:15 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It's not really a huge deal for me, I can easily set the range.  But for the noobs, I believe it would help with some  of the repetitive questions that the community recieves.  How much it would help, is a matter of waiting and finding out.

But it you would suggest it and see what the admins say, that would be great, Gumby.

:peace:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder