Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYoruyonaka
Stranger
Cobweb mold?
    #5512168 - 04/13/06 12:22 PM (18 years, 7 days ago)

Hey, three of my jars finished colonizing before the others, so I birthed them already (about to do the others).

And I have cobweb mold!  **&(*&(#*&($&&*(#$&$@#$@#.  Lol.  that's what it's got to be.  It's a puffy assembly of fine hairs which is sticking out all over the cakes (all of them), and one of the shrooms in one container appears to have a bit of it on the cap.  It doesn't really look darker than the mycelia, but i could be wrong.

So, i read the contam faq about it.  it just said that it results from high humidity and that more air circulation could help fix it.  Not a lot of info.  So I have some questions.

1.  is there a third party factor which could be causing this?  B/C it happened to all three.  Or am i just not airing enough?  How much air do they need (mine are in 1 gallon plastic jars, 1 to each cake, so it's hard to air them out (small opening to volume).  Can I use a fan to do it (handheld battery powered fan) or will that be too much pressure and damage the fruit?).

2.  should i throw them out?  The faq didn't say that the cobweb mold would do anything to you, but every place i read it says that you throw away at the first sign of any contam.  Will this stuff make the mushrooms inedible or dangerous, or will it just reduce yield?  Is it just on the surface?  If so, can i just burn the mold spots off with a lighter (will also damage those bits of the cake, but at least i can salvage SOMETHING).

REally, I just don't know anything about this mold :laugh:  Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: Yoruyonaka]
    #5513220 - 04/13/06 06:16 PM (18 years, 7 days ago)

please post pictures

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

OfflineYoruyonaka
Stranger
Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: Andrew47]
    #5513288 - 04/13/06 06:42 PM (18 years, 7 days ago)

no digital camera :frown:
tho this phone should have one.
damn bastard phone.

OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
    #5513760 - 04/13/06 09:04 PM (18 years, 7 days ago)

No, if it's cobweb, you can kill it with hydrogen peroxide. Spray it directly on the cobweb--dead. But if the mold has spread, that makes it harder. Cobweb will turn grey quickly, so if it's still white, it could be mycelium. What strain is it?

OfflineYoruyonaka
Stranger
Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: MLBjammer]
    #5517296 - 04/14/06 09:30 PM (18 years, 6 days ago)

mexi cub mexico.

but can i eat them? Are they bad for me? What if they have none on them?

OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
    #5518061 - 04/15/06 05:48 AM (18 years, 5 days ago)

If it's cobweb, it's gone apeshit by now. You can still eat the shrooms unless they are rotting. Dry them out. But it really sounds like piney mycelium, like Mazapatec or something. Did you hit it with some hydrogen peroxide? GL.

Offlinemattymac
not a stranger
Male
Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: MLBjammer]
    #5521475 - 04/16/06 03:43 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

i'm in the same boat... dont know what visual difference is between mycellium and cobweb mold (and no high quality camera to take pics).

the color is just as white as copy/printer paper, but i get worried when i read that cobweb mold looks like "tiny hair-like structures."

i have 8 1/2 pint jars and most are completely covered in white stuff now. should i take them out of the jars? take them out & spray with hydrogen peroxide? do nothing until i see pinning?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract