Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
What Do You Deserve?
    #5520532 - 04/16/06 09:41 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Merriam Webster

Deserve

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French deservir, from Latin deservire to devote oneself to, from de- + servire to serve.

A. to be worthy of : MERIT <deserves another chance>

I include the etymology as well as the definition because I find the contrast between the two very meaningful.  It has occurred to me recently that what I deserve is exactly what I choose to devote myself to, or serve.  When I devote myself to a limiting belief about who I am, or what I am capable of, the consequences are exactly what I deserve.

I've spent the past four months devoting myself to working 6 days per week at a job I dislike, for a miserable wage, and have been clinging to the belief that it is not what I deserve. 

How silly!  What else could possibly happen in my life when I choose a course which I find unrewarding?  Much like investments, the lowest risk vehicles usually have correspondingly low returns.  As I have been unwilling to take the riskier path of starting my own business, I have continued to work as an employee.

On Tuesday I will give two weeks notice at my current job.  I have arranged to work part-time as a nanny while I build my client base for my bookkeeping business. The consequences of these choices will be exactly what I deserve.  :wink:

How about you? What do you deserve in your life?  What are you serving?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: Veritas]
    #5520552 - 04/16/06 09:53 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Great point. I deserve my present experience, because I have interacted with reality in order to produce it. In fact, reality deserves me, because it has engaged in interaction to produce me to interact with it. :grin:

People deserve what sits before them in this moment. When someone who is passed by for a promotion screams "I deserved that promotion, I bust my ass", they don't realize that they don't deserve it. They deserve what results from that which they devote themself to, eh? :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5520587 - 04/16/06 10:10 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

IMO, what really trips us up is not recognizing that we are subconsciously devoting ourselves to experiences and beliefs which are counter to those which we consciously desire.

IOW, I may claim that I deserve to be well-paid, but I harbor doubts about my ability to manage money, so I sabotage my own efforts. While I am consciously attempting to achieve financial success, I am also attempting to maintain my established self-concept.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #5521719 - 04/16/06 04:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

People deserve what sits before them in this moment. When someone who is passed by for a promotion screams "I deserved that promotion, I bust my ass", they don't realize that they don't deserve it. They deserve what results from that which they devote themself to, eh?

Precisely! This reminds me of some folks who seem to think that they are entitled to the right to be happy. Wrong. They have the right to the pursuit of happiness. They have the right to expend effort towards a goal of happiness in accordance with their philosophical standards of happiness.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a common tendency for some folks to hold convictions out of context. They want to be successfull, be it in romance or business - yet ignore the context of effort. They think in concretes, not in concepts. And in regards to effort:

Quote:

Effort. Since a rational man knows that man must achieve his goals by his own effort, he knows that neither wealth nor jobs nor any human values exist in a given, limited, static quantity, waiting to be divided. He knows that all benefits have to be produced, that the gain of one man does not represent the loss of another, that a man's achievement is not earned at the expense of those who have not achieved it.

Therefore, he never imagines that he has any sort of unearned, unilateral claim on any human being - and he never leaves his interests at the mercy of any one person or single, specific concrete. He may need clients, but not any one particular customer - he may need a job, but not any one particular job.

If he encounters competition, he either meets it or chooses another line of work. There is no job so slow that a better, more skillful performance of it would pass unnoticed and unappreciated; not in a free society. Ask any office manager.

It is only the passive, parasitical representatives of the "humility metaphysics" school who regard any competitor as a threat, because the thought of earning one's position by personal merit is not a part of their view of life. They regard themselves as interchangeable mediocrities who have nothing to offer and who fight, in a "static" universe, for someone's causeless favor.

A rational man knows that one does not live by means of "luck", "breaks", or favors, that there is no such thing as an "only chance" or a single opportunity, and that this is guaranteed precisely by the existence of competition. He does not regard any concrete, specific goal or value as irreplaceable. He knows that only persons are irreplaceable - only those one loves.

He knows also that there are no conflicts of interests among rational men even in the issue of love. Like any other value, love is not a static quantity to be divided, but an unlimited response to be earned. The love for one friend is not a threat to the love for another, and neither is they love for the various members of one's family, assuming they have earned it. The most exclusive form - romantic love - is not an issue of competition. If two men are in love with the same woman, what she feels for either of them is not determined by what she feels for the other and is not taken away from him. If she chooses one of them, the "loser" could not have had what the "winner" has earned. It is only among the irrational, emotion-motivated persons, whose love is divorced from any standards of value, that chance rivalries, accidental conflicts and blind choices prevail. But then, whoever wins does not win much. Among the emotion-driven, neither love nor any other emotion has any meaning.
-The Virtue of Selfishness

Btw, welcome back, Veritas. :heart:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #5521754 - 04/16/06 05:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting read. :thumbup:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #5521779 - 04/16/06 05:11 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

you just figured this out for yourself, but it is nothing new.

Basicly you just redefined several old proverbs.

"you reap what you sow"bible(I think)

"Those who live by the sword die by teh sword. Those who lead into captivity shall live in captivity"bible

And of course the eastern equivelent called Karma.

Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: blaze2]
    #5521801 - 04/16/06 05:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I believe that those proverbs, as well as the concept of Karma, have much more to do with doing good deeds, acting according to God's or Universal laws, than they do with the focus within one's own life.

What I am expressing is that, regardless of how "good" one is, or how much one sacrifices and serves, the quality of one's experience of life is still determined by the focus and devotion of the individual.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: blaze2]
    #5521823 - 04/16/06 05:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
you just figured this out for yourself, but it is nothing new.

Let's avoid the tired, old habit of proclaiming what I have done, what I have not done, who I am, who I am not, etc. etc. etc. It is ineffective and leads to nothing but trouble.

Since when is discussing something evidence that someone "just figured it out for oneself"?

I call to your attention, my second main post in this forum, quite awhile ago...

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
    Okay, let's say that one has a goal of being a bass guitarist and leader of a sucessful metal band (not nu-metal, fuck that!). Such a lifetime goal has a lot of risks in it. (after all, low risk-low return. high risk-high return). It requires a lot of someone to be able to pull something like that off.
    There is no way that this goal could ever be acheived (unless one's really lucky) if one doesn't believe one could do it. One would always be faced with "I can't play that well." "No one will listen to our music." "It is way too hard to get a record contract." "I am afraid of contacting these business men. What if they reject me?"
    The truth is, one isn't talented at their instrument unless they BELIEVE they are. Believe me, it requires that extra oomph to be able to play in front of people. One has to have a lot of confidence in what they are doing. If one truly believe's that they are sucessful and are talented and people listen to them, it will come true.
    Obviously, one can't just wish and dream and think they are good. If the person actually believes in themselves, and look at everything through the perspective of their goal, it is crystal clear on what problems come between that, what needs to be done.  Sucess is a process, not a destination. But it is impossible to start down the road to sucess if one doesn't believe they can make it where they are going in the first place. You can sit at home in front of the T.V. and dream and think the world will come to you, or you can believe in yourself and get what needs to be done, done. Actually live the life you want to live. 

It seems as though I didn't just figure this out for myself. :lol: I still cannot be defined by you. :tongue:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #5522259 - 04/16/06 07:22 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What does all that actually mean?!! I'm confused.//

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: mr_kite]
    #5522265 - 04/16/06 07:24 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
What does all that actually mean?!! I'm confused.//

What does all of what actually mean? My quoted post of mine, Skorpivo's quote that he provided, Veritas' thread? Be more specific about your confusion and I'll assist. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522306 - 04/16/06 07:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ok

"I deserve my present experience, because I have interacted with reality in order to produce it. In fact, reality deserves me, because it has engaged in interaction to produce me to interact with it."

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5522331 - 04/16/06 07:45 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Are you aware of the fact that we have an experience?

How is that experience created? An interaction between oneself and other aspects of one's environment (reality).

Are you aware of the fact that we consciously choose how it is that we wish to interact with reality?

Thus, the manner in which we choose to interact with reality determines the subsequent experience of reality.

Now, do you understand how it is that a person comes into being?

As the result of interactions of aspects of reality that result in a person being born and the subsequent formation of that person's functions.

Thus, one's present experience is deserved by oneself, as they are responsible for the present experience. Also, reality deserves oneself, as it has unfolded in such a manner as to present oneself into being. Such a realization is empowering and reassuring, neurosis be damned. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522332 - 04/16/06 07:47 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

neurosis be damned.

Amen, brother!  :wink:

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522393 - 04/16/06 08:07 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

No disrespect but maybe its just your English is confusing me a bit... But don't you think it's rather a different set of rules that applies to someone born in the West to a kid born into poverty and death in some African country? You can't realy apply "one's present experience is deserved by oneself, as they are responsible for the present experience" to them.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522465 - 04/16/06 08:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The child born into extreme poverty has (probably) not created his circumstances.

However, once he has the capacity to effect change (or not) in his circumstances, he becomes responsible for the nature of his experience. He is also responsible all along for his own response to his circumstance.

The person who takes on the "victim" stance in response to extreme poverty may not believe that he can effect change, whereas one who believes that she deserves what she creates may escape even the most dire circumstances.

In the former case, the devotion and focus is on how terrible the circumstances are, and thus the conditions continue, and are deserved.

In the latter case, the devotion and focus have turned towards growth and change, and the conditions can shift in that direction.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5522479 - 04/16/06 08:28 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

people inherently deserve 2 things:

1. to be treated honestly
2. to be left alone if they wish to be.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: wilshire]
    #5522491 - 04/16/06 08:31 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh, but now we're discussing others' actions towards us. How can we be worthy/unworthy of someone elses' act?

If someone chooses to be dishonest with me, does that mean that I am unworthy of honesty, or that they are incapable/unwilling to be honest?

This is tricky territory.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522492 - 04/16/06 08:31 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thats easy to say, tell that to someone who's actually starving with no prospects, no food and not even clean water and see if they reckon they're in control of their "reality experience" or whatever you call it. I think it's fairly insulting and embabarrasing to suggest that someone on that situation is "taking on the victim stance".

What would you actually suggest that person do to avoid "victim stance"?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522505 - 04/16/06 08:35 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Someone who sees themselves as a victim feels disempowered, mistreated, and helpless. They may rail at the Universe, the government, etc...and blame outside forces for their situation.

Conversely, someone who acknowledges the desperation of their circumstances, recognizes that they must seek improvement in order to physically survive, and pursues such improvement, feels empowered and capable.

The circumstances are the same, but the response is very different.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522526 - 04/16/06 08:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What does that mean??? What the fuck use is that if I have no food and water? You think I wouldnt acknowlege my own desperation and recognise the need for improvement? "empowered and capable" :runaway:

Your ideas apply to certain reatively comfortable situations where you've got a base to work from. if you've got nothing then you're ideas mean nothing.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522530 - 04/16/06 08:43 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Fair enogh if its your own fault but if you're born into it...what ya gonna do? Blame yourself?

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522540 - 04/16/06 08:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

In a situation in which energy is a scarce resource, one cannot afford to waste it on laying blame and feeling helpless. The victim stance is wasteful and disempowering: exactly what someone in a life-or-death situation does NOT need.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5522548 - 04/16/06 08:48 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

How can we be worthy/unworthy of someone elses' act?

that's a different point of debate. the question of 'what does a person deserve' presupposes that people deserve something (as does any framework of ethics), and we are necessarily talking about what they deserve from other people. nature cannot owe us anything.

If someone chooses to be dishonest with me, does that mean that I am unworthy of honesty, or that they are incapable/unwilling to be honest?

the second.

i admit that i've stated as an axiom that people deserve something. i believe they do (though i cannot refute the idea that maybe there are no ethics and no one owes anyone anything). i believe that people do deserve something from one another, and that the two consistent dues are the two i mentioned.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522564 - 04/16/06 08:53 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

OK so we've learnt...

if you're dying from starvation and dehydration, its actually your own fault because of your poor interaction with reality, and you therefore deserve your current situation...but dont blame yourself because that's being wasteful and disempowering..exactly what you DONT need.

ie sweet fuck all.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522575 - 04/16/06 08:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Did I say that the famine was their fault? No.

Did I say that they were responsible for their original circumstance? No.

Did I say that, if they would just quit blaming themselves, they could stop starving? No.

My point is, given the desperate original circumstance, it is far more effective and helpful to focus on change and survival than it is to focus on blaming yourself/the government/the environment/etc...

This is true no matter what the conditions of your circumstance: you are 100% responsible for YOUR RESPONSE.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522631 - 04/16/06 09:10 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Actually you seemed to agree with the point that was made early on about "I deserve my present experience, because I have interacted with reality in order to produce it. In fact, reality deserves me, because it has engaged in interaction to produce me to interact with it."

I was basically just completely disagreeing with this thread cos I dont think it makes any sense at all (see quote just above).

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522636 - 04/16/06 09:11 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Then again I am pissed and so more argumenatative than I would be. But not that much.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522652 - 04/16/06 09:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

FWG made that comment with a grin, you might notice.

I did not directly agree nor disagree with him, but followed his post with my own comments. If our discussion does not make sense to you, why attempt to debate it?

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5522683 - 04/16/06 09:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Because pettyness and stupidity irritates me.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5522714 - 04/16/06 09:28 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I think it is highly possible that you have misunderstood the jist of this discussion.

Where exactly did you discern pettiness or stupidity in our discussion of shaping one's experience through focus and pro-activity?

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #5522822 - 04/16/06 09:57 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What Do You Deserve?
All or nothing ?

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5523046 - 04/16/06 11:15 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thus, one's present experience is deserved by oneself, as they are responsible for the present experience.

If I was sitting in front of my computer, diligently typing away on The Shroomery, and a satellite fell onto my house... I would be responsible for this experience?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5523057 - 04/16/06 11:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
If I was sitting in front of my computer, diligently typing away on The Shroomery, and a satellite fell onto my house... I would be responsible for this experience?

More than anyone else would be... the satellite does not produce your experience of reality, nor does your cat...

Your computer does not decide which websites are viewed, but it is, after all, responsible for the ability to view the websites in the first place, is it not?

No one here is proclaiming that one is ultimately responsible for all aspects of reality, but as oneself is the only aspect of reality responsible for one's ability to experience..... :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5523067 - 04/16/06 11:23 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
Because pettyness and stupidity irritates me.

Sounds like a developed, refined individual capable of accessing high levels of awareness, truly capable of creating for oneself one's own experience of reality to me! :rolleyes:

Unless you have sand in your vagina, which I suggest you check up on, what is there to be irritated about?

Isn't it great, by the way, the philosophical ability to reduce all expressed concepts down to the "starving third-world country" test? :lol:

Seriously, now, impoverished nations exist for a reason, the result of the actions as a nation in regards to the environment in which they exist. Living in a desert, after all, thus means that... :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5523079 - 04/16/06 11:28 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
if you're dying from starvation and dehydration, its actually your own fault because of your poor interaction with reality, and you therefore deserve your current situation...but dont blame yourself because that's being wasteful and disempowering..exactly what you DONT need.

Sounds pretty much right.

Not all factors are within one's control, especially concerning the environment that has thrust one into a particular situation. If the outcome of such is not to be desired, then, obviously, it was a poor interaction, eh?

That which is one devotes oneself to, is what one deserves. Reality has devoted itself to producing individuals in poor living conditions. The subsequent experience is what the subsquent individuals devote themselves to. After all, if they were devoting themselves to living in a different area and performing different work, then they would be reaping different results, eh?

Its actually a simple concept, no need to get irritated with the way that it is and wonder aloud about those with fates that one wouldn't personally devote themselves to.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5523103 - 04/16/06 11:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

After all, if they were devoting themselves to living in a different area and performing different work, then they would be reaping different results, eh?

Circumstances can be a bitch. I don't see why it's impossible for someone to devote him/herself to not-starving, but still starve to death.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5523135 - 04/16/06 11:50 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Circumstances can be a bitch. I don't see why it's impossible for someone to devote him/herself to not-starving, but still starve to death.

If one was actually devoted to not starving, then one wouldn't starve.

Devoting oneself to the attempt to not starve would be a different story, then it would be entirely possible to still starve to death.

Devotion, to me, is the same as participating in that which one is devoted to, which is the main idea being expressed in this thread. Devotion is engaging in the activity. Its a subtle difference, but yet do you discern it? :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5523153 - 04/16/06 11:55 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What if you were stuck in an empty iron box with no possible way of escaping?

Its a subtle difference, but yet do you discern it?

I don't think so.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#5523536 - 04/17/06 05:36 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

re: fireworks_god

Well the "starving third-world country" test is one of the easiest ways to question (or deny) the existance of a loving God...

Dude I think we'll have to agree to disagree cos really I just can't think the way you do. If you toned down your English, which is frequently gramatically poor and quite confusing, stopped using such big words and trying to appear smarter than you are, and just got your point across without all the posing and quasi-intellectual bullshit then maybe we could have a more coherent discussion.

And how can you say something like
"
"
And take yourself seriously? That's one of the least intelligent things I've heard for ages.

I await your reply dotted with smiling smileys and self-satisfied smugness

D'uh d'uh d'uh

:lighter: :hulk: :bye:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5524998 - 04/17/06 01:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i deserve somebody really rich
to love me unconditionally and
to give me a whack of dough so as to keep me
in a painting studio
instead of writing software for a living,
which is second best, and if nothing else - i guess
I deserve to continue doing that and
making wiggy comments on these boards when I get a chance.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5525095 - 04/17/06 01:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"What do you deserve in your life?"

Everything I can get my hands on.

--------------------
:heart:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5525300 - 04/17/06 02:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
Well the "starving third-world country" test is one of the easiest ways to question (or deny) the existance of a loving God...

Who here is discussing the existance of a loving God? :wtf:

We are discussing how one's actions within reality inevitably lead to the results of those interactions. One presses a door bell, and it rings. Cause and effect. Simple. Now, what's the problem?

Quote:

Dude I think we'll have to agree to disagree cos really I just can't think the way you do.

I know, I know, I'm inimitable. :smirk:

Quote:

If you toned down your English, which is frequently gramatically poor and quite confusing

I maintain that my grammaticism is rich and affluent. Unless you can demonstrate exactly how it is that my usage of the English language is  objectively confusing, and that said confusion isn't simply the result of your own inability to understand my usage of the English language, then your point has no merit. 

Quote:

, stopped using such big words and trying to appear smarter than you are,

:lol:

I express myself as I naturally express myself. My understanding of the English language is what it is, and my application of that understanding occurs as a result. I do not concern myself with my intellectual appearance, as I am merely interested in openly discussing and exchanging ideas for the advancement of my own and others understanding of reality.

Would you take my word for it? How the fuck would you know who and what I am? Because I used this word or said that statement? Please consider becoming a psychologist, as your analysis of my character is priceless.

Quote:

and just got your point across without all the posing and quasi-intellectual bullshit then maybe we could have a more coherent discussion.

My point could not be conveyed if I restricted my expressions as they are naturally formed in order to dumb them down to a level whereat the lowest common denominator can understand. "Like, dude, whatever". How profound!

You tell me that I need to simplify my communications, well, I tell you that you need to advance yours.

Quote:

"If one was actually devoted to not starving, then one wouldn't starve.
"
And take yourself seriously? That's one of the least intelligent things I've heard for ages.

As I have already stated, devoting oneself to a certain act is to perform and engage in that act. If one was devoted to not starving, then, obviously, one would be consuming food.

If one consumes an adequate amount of food necessary to survive, then one doesn't starve!

Oh. my. fucking. god. Cause and effect. Where is the intelligence in that? :rolleyes:

Quote:

I await your reply dotted with smiling smileys and self-satisfied smugness

D'uh d'uh d'uh

:lighter: :hulk: :bye:

Ahh yes, the age old commentary on the usage of emoticons. :lol:

Honestly, anyone with a sense of humor doesn't have a problem with them. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: theuser]
    #5525306 - 04/17/06 02:39 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

theolduser said:
"What do you deserve in your life?"

Everything I can get my hands on.

Exactly, as it is the act of getting your hands on it that defines that one deserves it, as one has devoted oneself towards getting one's hand on it!

But I've been informed that such is the least intelligent comment ever. :frown:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #5527364 - 04/17/06 10:32 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What Do You Deserve?

I deserve nothing....    Simply put....

I spend time working towards things I need and want in life, sometimes I get those things, sometimes I don't.... 
Sometimes I spend time (working) on hobbies that can   bring me self satisfaction, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.... 

Do I deserve what I get...?  No.... 
I do however appreciate it when I work for something and get a desired result.... 
Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.... 

Somehow I see it as separate from deserving   anything....  :shrug:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5527373 - 04/17/06 10:35 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The idea of "deserving" anything is flawed. You don't deserve shit. Neither do I. Make your reality...don't feel that you must be worthy.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5528451 - 04/18/06 07:20 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I agree with you on the standard definition of "deserve." What I found interesting was that the etymology indicated that "worthy" is not an accurate definition.

What do you think of the idea that what we SERVE is what we "deserve"? That it is really not about whether we are worthy or not, but about our focus and action being aligned with our stated goals and values?

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#5528462 - 04/18/06 07:23 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #5530745 - 04/18/06 07:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

On Tuesday I will give two weeks notice at my current job. I have arranged to work part-time as a nanny while I build my client base for my bookkeeping business. The consequences of these choices will be exactly what I deserve.

Tuesday afternoon. Did you give notice, did you get what you deserve?

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (04/18/06 07:43 PM)

InvisibleBuddahKillah
U WANTFITE!?!?!?!?!?!

Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5533277 - 04/19/06 11:24 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I deserve to be punished. Punish me.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5535294 - 04/19/06 08:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Yes, I agree with you on the standard definition of "deserve." What I found interesting was that the etymology indicated that "worthy" is not an accurate definition.

What do you think of the idea that what we SERVE is what we "deserve"? That it is really not about whether we are worthy or not, but about our focus and action being aligned with our stated goals and values?

I think that this is less cut and dried than one might suppose. I agree that when ones focus and action are in line with their "stated goals and values" that they will more easily acheive their end. BUT I have a problem with "deserve". http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=deserve
It implies either reward or punishment is being meted out in a moral sense. It is possible that one can become prosperous "serving" up many unsavory things. Many military commanders order men to their deaths and go to bed at night .....even eventually to their grave....comvinced that they had served mankind in a positive sense. These people may be convinced that they are morally enlightened people. They may never suffer one negative consequence for their action. On the contrary many forgotten people have died in the moral service of others having recieved little or no reward.

In the end there is only intent or lack of it. Those possesing intent will acheive their goals, while those who do not will fail. If you have intent your actions will be naturally in line with your goals. I do get your point, but I have a hard time getting past "deserve".

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #5536762 - 04/20/06 08:13 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Very good answers so far. So I will correct my statement:
Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
What Do You Deserve?
All or nothing ?

All and nothing.
:heart:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5537168 - 04/20/06 11:00 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

My last day is May 3! 

I'll have 1.5 weeks vacation between old job & self-employment.  (Exactly what I "deserve." :grin:)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5538200 - 04/20/06 03:51 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Vacation? Vacation? Vacation?

(Kind of like the real estate thing with location)

Good news you are already self employed the bad news is the work starts today.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5538210 - 04/20/06 03:54 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, but my boss is AWESOME!  :wink:

OfflineEttin
Stranger

#5538214 - 04/20/06 03:55 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

As the great philosopher ashkus sheekus said:

My balls on your chin.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: What Do You Deserve? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5538369 - 04/20/06 04:46 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
i deserve somebody really rich
to love me unconditionally and
to give me a whack of dough so as to keep me
in a painting studio
instead of writing software for a living,
which is second best, and if nothing else - i guess
I deserve to continue doing that and
making wiggy comments on these boards when I get a chance.

Yes, that all sounds good.  :grin:

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5540514 - 04/21/06 09:57 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"Yes, but my boss is AWESOME!"

Well duh, you are both on vacation!  :tongue:

When I became self-employed my boss was great at first and then he turned into a real slave driving asshole!  :thumbdown:  After I threatened to quit and he knew I was serious he lightened up a little.  We take more breaks now.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5540517 - 04/21/06 10:00 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Me myself
Me myself and i

My ship's been tossed about
Have some decency
The only friends i've got left
Are my idiosyncrasies

Me myself
Me myself and i

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5540532 - 04/21/06 10:08 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The only friends i've got left
Are my idiosyncrasies

Perhaps a new CD "Idiosyncranicity" with me myself and i on drums singing and making other weird noises is called for... :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder