Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds
    #5509210 - 04/12/06 06:02 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I finally got around to bringing my camera on a hunt with me. I could post these pics in the SE Morel thread, but I think this post is worthy of a new topic.

Found all these in North East Georgia, about 45min outside of Atlanta. All morels were found within sight distance of a creek, river, or wetland. They tend to like poplar trees from what I can tell. I'm not sure which species is which, perhaps a more seasoned morel hunter can tell me if I have different species.

I've got a lot of pics in here from just the hike too, so enjoy. If you have any questions, ask away.

Morels:

Other pics:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechris999
is the shit
Male User Gallery

Loc: TEJAS
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: Gumby]
    #5509462 - 04/12/06 07:02 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Are those active mushrooms??

--------------------
Wow wtf is this shit www.fat-pie.com (dont let the name fool you its not what your probably thinking)

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: chris999]
    #5509501 - 04/12/06 07:11 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry chris, they are not.  They are, however, delicious and expensive :smile:

Beautiful finds, I will be attempting an indoor cultivation of these as soon as my package from MycoshaC arrives

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Offlinechris999
is the shit
Male User Gallery

Loc: TEJAS
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: Andrew47]
    #5509587 - 04/12/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Exspensive??? Who would u sell them to?

--------------------
Wow wtf is this shit www.fat-pie.com (dont let the name fool you its not what your probably thinking)

Offlinewaterbug
just a figment
Female

Loc: where i live they grow ou...
    #5509594 - 04/12/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

good job!!!! :respect:

--------------------

Girls Poop!

Offlinewortiesbo
Male

Loc: new vegas
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: waterbug]
    #5509598 - 04/12/06 07:49 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i guess you could sell them to whoever loves delicious delecacies like morels

--------------------

Offlinebababoey
OvercookedShrimp
Male

Loc: Paulding County, Ga
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: wortiesbo]
    #5509787 - 04/12/06 08:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

how do they taste? you all have my curiousity now...

--------------------
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #5509823 - 04/12/06 08:50 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

nice gumby :laugh:, I'd call all of those M. esculenta.  but you know how morel taxonomy is :rolleyes:

I'm hitting some spots up here this weekend for sure, I'm thinking they've gotta be up in the lowlands by now.

I got the fever bad, and seeing pics of fresh morels doesn't help :grin:

DH

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5509873 - 04/12/06 09:06 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Way to go !! You will dine like a king again.
I still want to hunt with you sometime, it's a blast. You should come with me and phish, we hit the woods and get down and dirty.
Fun times, keep it real, and get them while they last!
ps-Dry me some, I will trade you well for them.

--------------------
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Decides Who's Left."

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5509942 - 04/12/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Dammit. I'm gonna go nuts waiting for the season here to start.

This is the worst part of the year... those last few weeks before it starts happening.

Come on, rains!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: Kerbouchard]
    #5510202 - 04/12/06 10:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

If I could find some more, I'll dry some for you. Me and hunting buddy went looking for new patches today and came up empty handed. I did, however, get poison ivy/oak/sumac :wink:

Edit: Same guy I hunt with used to go to Piedmont college way up in the North GA mountains so he knows the area really well. We might be taking a field trip up there some time soon to hunt some more. I figure going around 100 miles north as well as a 1000-1500ft elevation change might delay the season a little bit. We'll see. There's 2 apple orchards on the way up there that we will definately stop at. I'll be sure to post pics, regardless of our luck.

Edited by Gumby (04/12/06 10:26 PM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5510311 - 04/12/06 10:32 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

One more thing... Here's pics from our attempts to find a new patch today.

They're huge because I hosted them on another site and I like to be able to see detail in my pics. Sorry dialup users, sucks for you :wink:

Feel free to use some of those huge images as a background. My personal favorite is the last one; the super detailed dandelion picture.

As always, if you have questions, ask away.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5510804 - 04/13/06 12:32 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

:shocked:

Amazing pictures. Those scenic ones rule. Excellent macro shots also.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineTheShroomNinja
Humbled Bastard Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Twilight zone
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: eris]
    #5510916 - 04/13/06 01:43 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah today id sopeculate that i foudnaround oh say 60 of them. growingi n some woodchips. they smelt great kinda delicous.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #5511907 - 04/13/06 10:56 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the great tips and pics.
Rain providing, my only chance so far is two lowlying areas much like the ones you scouted for this weekend as the mushrooms should now be about 4 days of maturity.
I'll put some pics up in the SE thread as I'm just starting out with photography and tree identification.
I'll see what I can come up with.  :thumbup:

*On ivy, a rule of thumb I go by is leaflets three, don't f with it. It could be rasberry or strawberry, better safe than sorry, tho I'm pretty sure I don't get reactions with Ivy or sumac.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Edited by LouiseLouise (04/13/06 11:07 AM)

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #5512025 - 04/13/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Just a bit more than delicious, me amigo. Today (after a brief trip to the ER- yeah why am I still here?-), I intend to head to one of my favorite local picking parks to get a couple pounds. I'll try to post the pics before I head to the Army in a week or two. With luck I'll post tonight. I agree with the taxonomy speculations, DH. Same as I have been finding recently. Too bad I've been so hungry and camera-shy as of late! The weather has been more than accomidating as of late in the SE. This will be the last day for SC hunting of morels for a few days due to the warm spell that has been forecasted.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5513680 - 04/13/06 08:40 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I read a sweet article on old apple orchards, and really massive morel finds.
It make me get hunting fever, BAD.
If you wanna pick some subbs I have a huge sprinkler spot that has been fruiting for weeks, with at least a handful a day.
And after the rain it's bursting.
Hit up phish, and let's hang on our off days.
Peace bro, try to get me some :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5513734 - 04/13/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This is a decent read, if you got time

Quote:

Orchard Morels
MushroomExpert.Com

by Pamela Kaminski

How would you like to find the most beautiful, largest, and prolific morel mushrooms this season? Silly question, eh?

If your answer is "YES!", then get prepared to scout out some old apple orchards. This is where I have had my most religious morel experiences. This is where I have needed 30-gallon garbage bags to bring in my haul. This is where I have seen morel bunches of over 15 specimens growing tightly packed, just bubbling out of the ground. This is where I picked the largest morel I have ever seen, 12 inches tall, with a head the size of a small cantaloupe!

No, I am not exaggerating!

So now that I've whetted your appetite for the adventure of your life, I should bring you back down to earth by saying, "It's not easy!" The first obstacle you are likely to encounter is finding just the "right" kind of old apple orchard. Look for one that has been deserted by man for many years. It should be overgrown by sticker bushes and poison ivy, and perhaps the surrounding woods. I have found the best old orchards to be virtually impassable, especially around the perimeter. With close inspection you should be able to find a way in, perhaps a deer path.

Once inside, the going should get easier, but not always. If you're lucky, you will find rows of large, old apple trees, many dead or dying, some healthy but choked by the advancing undergrowth of stickers and ivy. And if you're really fortunate, MORELS! Best picking time for orchard morels is when the trees are blooming, through the time they drop their petals. Look under every tree you can; the best proliferation is usually under trees that are dying or have just died the year before. However, I have counted 100 small morels under one tree that appeared extremely healthy. I have also encountered mass fruiting around stumps of trees that were cut down the year before.

Morchella esculenta is by far the prevalent species in old orchards, but I have also found Morchella semilibera and some early morels, like Verpa bohemica. I have never found a black morel in this habitat. Don't get discouraged if you don't find them right away even though the habitat looks right. Most orchards have "hot spots" or areas within the orchard where the morels prefer to grow. Start by checking the warmer south or west sides.

Before I tell you the joys of going where no human has attempted to traverse for many years, I should tell you of some of the horrors you may encounter on your journey. I already mentioned a couple, the sticker bushes and poison ivy. You should wear clothes you don't mind getting ripped and torn from your body as you try to wiggle through small openings in a dense cover of sticker bushes, which are keeping you from a group of trees that look primo for a vast fruiting of morels. Next, be sure to wear long sleeves and bring some lightweight gloves for pushing the jungle of poison ivy away from your face as you try to walk through the orchard. I like to wear a lightweight flannel shirt over my T-shirt so I can remove it when I get to a clearing or stop to rest from this hot, grueling hike.

And, if that hasn't frightened you enough, be sure to wear a tight fitting hat to protect you from the hoards of ticks you are likely to encounter! I have been virtually covered with them from time to time. And, if you are afraid of snakes, don't go into an old, overgrown orchard. I was stopped dead in my tracks one time by a six-foot black snake, standing, with most of its body off the ground, staring me straight in the eyes! You mean you have never seen a snake "stand"? It was a shock to me, I'll tell ya. I couldn't even find my breath to scream for my wandering comrades, and I like snakes! And, DON'T GET LOST! Some of the larger orchards can be very disorienting. Most have no trails and all the trees start to look alike. Bring a compass and plenty of water, and just in case, lots of bags for your bounty.

But I have saved the best for last. An old apple orchard can also be one of the most beautiful and exciting places on earth. Some of the orchards have surrealistic park-like clearings sprinkled with fallen apple blossom petals and breathtaking wildflowers. Their fragrances dance in the breeze. Besides the snakes, the wildlife abounds in these areas where humans fear to tread. I have run into many fawns, just born, curled in the grass. Songbirds are nesting and bees are humming. And of course, the morels are fruiting. If you are diligent and fortunate enough to find one of these magical orchards, you will know what Alice felt like in Wonderland.

Epitaph:

Unfortunately, old orchards are considered prime real estate for developers. Most all of my orchards have been bulldozed and developed to pave the way for residental communities, corporate centers, and Wal-Marts! A piece of my heart has gone down with each tree.

--------------------

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #5514950 - 04/14/06 07:29 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Those are some great photos Gumby. Keep em' coming.

I've got morel fever too. But, it's still pretty chilly up here in the Pacific Northwest.

Once our season does start, it's going to be a banner year, we had a VERY wet winter/early spring.

Offlinemattx
Stranger

Re: 4/10/06 Georgia Morel finds [Re: Stymee]
    #5515006 - 04/14/06 08:00 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

does anyone know when I should start hunting for morels in upstate ny. I am thinking 1st week of may?

--------------------
Don't have to tell you it feels better than,
Floating free, walk upon the sand
Got to give you things much better
My mushroom's green and brown forever.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract