Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
Is a Casing Layer Really Necessary?
    #5506122 - 04/11/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

for my casings i am using pasteurized horse poo. i have seen a tek that just says to put the mycelium from the jars on top of the horse poo and watch them grow.

when using hpoo is it necessary to have a casing layer? if not, i guess i'll go buy some peat moss or coco coir tomorrow to make a casing layer...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: Is a Casing Layer Really Necessary? [Re: magic8ball]
    #5506156 - 04/11/06 11:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

well its not necessary however it does increase yeilds. all that extra water and makes a nice microclimate and surface for pinning.
people do make poo cakes and treat them like pf cakes. which have no casing.

look up the wax paper idea. its in some posts from a month ago or so. it sorta creasts that prime microclimate on your big poo cake but you never have to fool with actual casing. never have to wait for that or incubate it. but you don't get that bonus of extra moisture. now ive heard of people injecting big poo cakes with 2 cc of sterilized water in many different places say 25. i hope one of these people jumps in to clarify. ive never done it so i have no personal experience.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #5506202 - 04/11/06 11:36 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

As far as a casing layer or not, I myself just found out it isn't an absolute necessity, as far as a first flush goes

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5500197#Post5500197

But you don't want to just lay your mycelium on top of the poo, you want to mix it together.

Good Luck

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
Re: Is a Casing Layer Really Necessary? [Re: HippieChick]
    #5506436 - 04/12/06 01:48 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

excellent replies, thank you so much!

the casing layer stage confuses me a lot so i wanted to see if i could skip it. at what point in the casing process does the casing layer get added???

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5507238 - 04/12/06 09:31 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

It goes like this.. First you make jars and get them started. This live mycelium can now be broken up and added to mor substrate which the mycelium will then eat and colonize too. Thats spawning to horse poo. Once the horse poo is fully colonized, your ready to fruit. You can either just expose it to light like that, or you can apply a layer of "dirt" which isnt really dirt, but your casing mix. It mainly is dirt with no nutrients though (you cant just use dirt for the casing, peat or coir is used for a fiberous texture and vermiculite is added for moisture holding).

Then think of it as if you did it outside..youd bury the colonized poo in a hole and cover it with "dirt"..then the mycelium creeps up to the light, through the dirt..and once it hits light and fresh air it pins. The casing layer stage can be skipped, but the point is to provide a nice layer which the mycelium wont eat and fully colonize, but is good for mushroom pins to form (airy and wet).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5507247 - 04/12/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

magic8ball said:
for my casings i am using pasteurized horse poo. i have seen a tek that just says to put the mycelium from the jars on top of the horse poo and watch them grow.

when using hpoo is it necessary to have a casing layer? if not, i guess i'll go buy some peat moss or coco coir tomorrow to make a casing layer...

If you're going to call it a 'casing', a casing layer is required. However, with cubes a casing layer is optional when using 'bulk substrates' such as manure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemagic8ball
Stranger
Re: Is a Casing Layer Really Necessary? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5507461 - 04/12/06 10:33 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

this has been an immense help, i really thank you all. in return i will post pics soon enough, and someday add a good topic in the Advanced section...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder