Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
I want to do what Terence McKenna did...
    #5501170 - 04/10/06 08:07 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

...That is, I want to eat 5 dried grams and then lie alone in silent darkness.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what was the experience like? I am intrigued by the experiences that Terence describes.

The problem is, I only have Copelandia Cyanescens, which are much stronger than most types of mushrooms, and therefore probably much stronger than the type that Terence used.

How much Copelandia Cyans should I take for an equivalent trip? I'm thinking that 2 grams should be about right. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by TurricaN (04/10/06 08:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: TurricaN]
    #5501210 - 04/10/06 08:16 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Definite ego loss, no way around it. I took about 2 grams of psilocybe cyans and did that, and it was too much for me to just lay there. Its a really intense experience.

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: ClammyJoe]
    #5501310 - 04/10/06 08:36 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting... I don't recall Terence ever using the term 'ego loss' to describe his experiences. Is that the state that one must reach in order to have the experience then?

I think I could probably handle it as long as I was in a really good mindset and had done proper preparation for it.

Also, do you think it's necessary to smoke weed during the trip? This one thing made me a little skeptical about Terence's experiences. When he describes them, he always talks about rolling spliffs during the come-up for the trip. I've smoked weed before on half an eighth and the trip was extremely visually intense, but it was nothing at all like a pure mushroom experience. I'm fairly sure that weed has the potential to totally overthrow an otherwise pure mushroom experience. But then I am very sensitive to weed, so that might be why.

OfflineTheMexicutioner
Stranger
    #5501375 - 04/10/06 08:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I recently did that with a quarter of shrooms.It was a little intense for my liking but really enjoyable,the only part I didnt like was when I had earplugs in and had disturbing audial hallucinations.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5501406 - 04/10/06 08:59 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

If you are not thinking about yourself, your body/mind, and letting some unseen thing take control of cognition you are experiencing atleast some form of ego-loss.
T Mckenna does explain ego-loss as a major part of the trip in his books, he just finds it to be far less interesting in an obvious way, and focuses way more on the stages after it occures and does not draw the line and call some moment in the trip, "the point when ego loss occures".

In my views, uninhibited, uncontrived conversations on mushrooms are usually intertwined with some form of ego-loss.

After all the tripping Mckenna did before mushrooms, he was hardwired to find that to be a less interesting part of the trip due to the fact that he was half way there at all time anyways.

Edited by stemmer (04/10/06 09:01 PM)

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: stemmer]
    #5595729 - 05/05/06 09:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for sharing your views. :smile:

I'm still determined to have this experience in a couple of weeks once I'm totally free of university responsibilites, and I read what you've written with great interest.

I've had the experience (though very much less intense) of some unseen thing taking control of me; I normally accept that as my subconcious and I trust it to bring me no harm (I trust myself :wink:); I've established a good relation with my subconcious, so I think that it should not be a problem for me.

My main worry is not the dose, but the silence, or more appropriately, the lack of music, since I'm so used to listening to music in both my day-to-day life and whilst tripping.  I love music more than anything, I constantly have my computer playing music, and when I'm not at my computer, I have my portable audio player with me, but despite this, I'm still determined to have the experience that Terrence McKenna describes, if only out of sheer curiousity.

Anyways, I really hope I'm in the right mindset, place and time for this experience.  I appreciate that I am probably diving into relatively unexplored territory and I think I should be able to survive with my sanity intact.

I'm setting my target date for this experience as the 23nd May, a few days following my final university deadline.

Of course, I'll be sure to post a trip report if there is anything worth saying about the experience. :smile:

OfflinehIgHdRoLoVeR
delete this user
Male
    #5596304 - 05/05/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i did this same thing several times when i first started with shrooms years ago...i found it extremely enjoyable an would do it again...but i found that i can fly almost as high with 3g in darkness (its never really silent)... ill be alone sunday night on 2g and will most likely seek out the darkness of my room twards the peak...within a couple of weeks ill probibly be back up to 3-4g and maybe 5...i trip alone, people ruin it for me

--------------------
hIgHdRoLoVeR
Loving all things hydro since 1989.
http://www.gardenscure.com/420/index.php
the place to go for (medical) marijuana cultivation advice
World of Warcrack...My anti-job!

Offlineagoutihead
Male User Gallery

Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: hIgHdRoLoVeR]
    #5596635 - 05/06/06 12:51 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

stemmer... what did you mean when you said:

After all the tripping Mckenna did before mushrooms, he was hardwired to find that to be a less interesting part of the trip due to the fact that he was half way there at all time anyways.

??

just that he is completly wacky?

does any one have a particular link for this story about mckenna?

i would like to take an 1/8th by myself in the near future... but then sometimes i dont know.

the other day i did 1 gram with cranberry juice... and just really realized how weird/beautiful the world really is.

every day life is absolutley psychedelic.  everything about it, cars, flowers, ants, clouds, humans, etc, etc.

but im sure i will anyways. :smile:

--------------------
"When I'm on LSD and hearing something that's pure rhythm, it takes me to another world and into anther brain state where I've stopped thinking and started knowing" - Kevin Herbert

"Psychedelics let you see the world through a child's eye."

"Experience the liquid realm..."

"The evolution of mankind is in the alteration of consciousness" - Dr. Albert Hofmann

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5596683 - 05/06/06 01:12 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Terence McKenna did a lot of things...
I would assume that Terence often consummed Copelandia cyanescens since that is the main psychoactive mushroom available in Hawaii where he lived towards the end of this life.

--------------------

OfflineAnimals
Just Danson inthe Dark
 User Gallery

Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5598658 - 05/06/06 07:22 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
Terence McKenna did a lot of things...
I would assume that Terence often consummed Copelandia cyanescens since that is the main psychoactive mushroom available in Hawaii where he lived towards the end of this life.

always cubensis.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: Animals]
    #5598684 - 05/06/06 07:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

the only time I tripped in complete darkness was on acid. all I can say is WOAH. no objects morphing to distract your attention (which is constantly moving anyways), just pure psilosophical ego-loss with blotches of color and lights flickering everywhere (complete darkness). I had plenty of time to handle all problems in my life at the time, and get clearer views on all the messed up shit that was going on in the world at the time. At one point I pulled out my cell phone and let the indigo light turn on, I would hold it up so it illuminated everything, and then put it away. it was hard to tell wether I was holding it up or not. I got confused fairly quickly and wasn't sure if I was holding it up or not because I was constantly seeing the indigo light flying around. It was a pretty amazing experience, but something I would think to be too chaotic for on mushrooms.

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5598758 - 05/06/06 07:51 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Look up the mindfold
It is a great blindfold, soft and lets you have your eyes open :smile:  so it is TOTALLY dark, open and closed, you can't tell the difference.
It comes with earplugs too :smile:
Great for sleeping late or with noisy annoying roomates too! can be had for $15 shipped on ebay!

Add some nice sphongle (spelling?) via a good pair of comfortable noise canceling earphones, laying in something comfortable (mmm waterbed with super nice blanket)

Enjoy, I wish you well with your experience bud!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5598778 - 05/06/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed - I stand corrected.
I wonder why he loved cubensis so? The mexicans call cubensis Hongus kentesh - as in fake fungus or cheap/mock mushroom. Most ceremonial mushroom use in Mexico relied on the native species and avoided cubensis even when it was prevelant in recent times.
Ive always found Copelandias to be a true and authentic experience - by far my favourites.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#5598947 - 05/06/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
I wonder why he loved cubensis so? The mexicans call cubensis Hongus kentesh - as in fake fungus or cheap/mock mushroom. Most ceremonial mushroom use in Mexico relied on the native species and avoided cubensis even when it was prevelant in recent times.
Ive always found Copelandias to be a true and authentic experience - by far my favourites.

Stropharia cubensis was the first magic mushroom he encountered, and the species used in the infamous La Chorrera experiment.  I've never heard that he only used cubes, though; do you have a source, Animals?  (It would seem from your av and sub that you know a thing or two about the man.  :tongue:)  It may be a case of the first love being the strongest, so to speak, or it may be that he valued the cubensis mushroom because it has no history of spiritual use -- a psychedelic tabula rasa, if you will, according to his theory of trip evolution.

McKenna, if nothing else, is as entertaining as they come, and I find many of his ideas about language, government and science extremely compelling (to say nothing of his wilder ideas, which I have been known to find quite compelling after smoking a few bowls).  My last trip (on 2C-I, not cubes) was distinctly and intensely McKennian in many of its motifs.  I am very interested in trying 5 grams in silent darkness. 

Edited by Lion (05/06/06 09:06 PM)

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: Lion]
    #5643095 - 05/17/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Something just vastly skewed my view of this idea...

I was listening to a Terrence McKenna recording from 1998 that I had not heard before and he mentions that he never takes a substance without also taking marijuana, because this helps him to 'navigate' the experience...  Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a strange way of trying to experience the effects of a particular plant?

I'm not trying to say that marijuana is bad (hell, I'm high on marijuana as I write this), but any regular marijuana user who really appreciates and takes advantage of what marijuana has to offer knows what it is capable of, especially when handling other plant hallucinegons.

I would typically use marijuana for learning from an intense experience afterward, but not during one.  I much prefer mushrooms without marijuana, and if I were to take 5 grams alone in silent darkness, I think that this is the way that I would prefer to do it.  However, you see the problem...  If I do it this way, I am no longer 'garanteed' (according to Terence McKenna) the same experience that he describes because I'm not recreating the same condition that he would have created.

So what's the general view?

1. Go with my desire and use 5 grams of mushrooms alone.
2. Go with Terrence's suggestion and also smoke marijuana, despite being less confident with using marijuana in combination with mushrooms?

The other interesting thing is how rarely Terrence mentions this.  95% of the time he'll say "5 grams in silent darkness is all you need." and then this once he suddenly comes up with "Never take a substance without marijuana because you can't 'navigate' the experience without it.".

So, any views on that? :smile:

Nevertheless, I'm still planning on going ahead with this (option 1) once I'm away from university.

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: Lion]
    #5643098 - 05/17/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Something just vastly skewed my view of this idea...

I was listening to a Terrence McKenna recording from 1998 that I had not heard before and he mentions that he never takes a substance without also taking marijuana, because this helps him to 'navigate' the experience...  Is it just me or does this strike anyone else as a strange way of trying to experience the effects of a particular plant?

I'm not trying to say that marijuana is bad (hell, I'm high on marijuana as I write this), but any regular marijuana user who really appreciates and takes advantage of what marijuana has to offer knows what it is capable of, especially when handling other plant hallucinegons.

I would typically use marijuana for learning from an intense experience afterward, but not during one.  I much prefer mushrooms without marijuana, and if I were to take 5 grams alone in silent darkness, I think that this is the way that I would prefer to do it.  However, you see the problem...  If I do it this way, I am no longer 'garanteed' (according to Terence McKenna) the same experience that he describes because I'm not recreating the same condition that he would have created.

So what's the general view?

1. Go with my desire and use 5 grams of mushrooms alone?
2. Go with Terrence's suggestion and also smoke marijuana, despite being less confident with using marijuana in combination with mushrooms?

The other interesting thing is how rarely Terrence mentions this.  95% of the time he'll say "5 grams in silent darkness is all you need." and then this once he suddenly comes up with "Never take a substance without marijuana because you can't 'navigate' the experience without it.".

So, any views on that? :smile:

Nevertheless, I'm still planning on going ahead with this (option 1) once I'm away from university.

OfflineAnimals
Just Danson inthe Dark
 User Gallery

#5643106 - 05/17/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:

I've taken 5g of cubensis and it was authentic enough for me.

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #5643164 - 05/17/06 06:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

At least for folks like myself who smoke cannbis constantly, taking a new substance without smoking would make it much harder to determine the substance's effects than if you smoked a bowl when coming up (and as necessary throughout). A couple hours into an acid trip, I was getting really anxious and edgy and couldn't figure out why. Smoked a bowl and everything went back to normal. An hour or two later, the same thing happened, and the same thing fixed it. This has more to do with habituation than anything, though I can't attest to whether McKenna may have been influenced by similar factors.

You are probably the person best qualified to decide whether to smoke or not during the experience. If you enjoy marijuana and find it conducive to unlocking the full potential of your mind, then smoking is probably a good idea. If you have low tolerance and can get overwhelmingly stoned easily, you probably want to stick to just the mushrooms. And if you want to get really out there, you could take the 5g in lemon juice!

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: Entropymancer]
    #5643221 - 05/17/06 07:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well, given my current situation (which has changed since I created this topic), when it happens, it's likely to be 60g fresh Cubes (or 20g fresh Cyans) as opposed to 5g dry, since it is likely that I will soon only have fresh available to me.

I don't think fresh mushrooms would work with lemon juice, but I guess I could try drying them. :smile:

Either way, it looks like I'll be going solo (without Mary).  I'm certain that I'd be more comfortable that way.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #5643358 - 05/17/06 07:37 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Tripped yesterday with no weed except during the comedown. Main difference I noticed was that it was a lot less mentally intense. Infact other than my vision getting all split up and seeing patterns and noticing how bright the plants in my aquarium were during the come up I didn't really have any real effects during the peak other than a strong desire to draw (something I NEVER do). It felt more like I was just a creative and happy person rather than I was actually on a drug. I also noticed the same feeling the first time I tried them (also with no weed). It just feels more real/natural without weed rather than a total "Holy shit" kind of experience

OfflineThreePieceSuit
disastrophe
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast of Canada
    #5643402 - 05/17/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TurricaN said:I guess I could try drying them. :smile:

As long as there won't be interference, drying won't be a problem for you. Some decently powered fans and a rubbermaid are all that's reall necessary. It's all about the cool dry. :cool:

--------------------
:mafioso:
I'm so lucrative, even my birthday suit is in three pieces.

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: ThreePieceSuit]
    #5643411 - 05/17/06 07:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Or just leave them out to dry in the sun. A window maybe?

BEST WAY

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: I want to do what Terence McKenna did... [Re: StickyWater]
    #5643413 - 05/17/06 07:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Weed does sort of detach me and send me flying during a psychedelic experience. Both with and without weed has its merits and both should be considered valuable.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag