Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejackbenimble
Stranger
A few general questions (Yes ive read the FAQ)
    #549874 - 02/13/02 11:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ok AFOAF has a few q's before he starts growing shrooms.

My Terrarium: sits at the bottom of my closet, its a see-through perilite container with a solid white top. I put duct tape all around the see-through exept for the top few inches, where i direct my light to go through (i cannot have light comming from top because thats where all my cloths go and i found that if i dont duct tape the see through part the shrooms gravitate towards the left-side of the terrarium where the light is). I have an air bubbler pumping air into the terrarium 24/ 7 and perilite on the bottom for humidty. With this setup i should only need to mist the casings every once in a while right?

Question2: AFOAF"s last attempt at growing went all wrong due to contams, he still has the left over organic BRF, can he still use it? It's been in a knotted plastic bag for about 2 months or so.

Question3: AFOAF has an air bubbler in a plastic container, must i filter the air comming in with a filter disc of some sort? Is is likely that something airborn will come and contam my casings? Any ideas as to whats an easily accessible filter he could use?

Question4: I dont have any sort of exaust (for the air) just have 2 inputs into the terrarium pumping in fresh air. Is this enough? Or should i put an exaust somewhere (where?)

Edited by jackbenimble (02/13/02 11:41 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNecron99
Protect youreyes from flyingsugar!

Loc: SATx
Re: A few general questions (Yes ive read the FAQ) [Re: jackbenimble]
    #549978 - 02/13/02 01:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1 For casings, having perlite is probly too much humidity. leave out the perlite and just mist the casings.

2 probly.

3 yes. yes. use a filter disk.

4 Yes. Put a small exhaust hole about an inch from the bottom.

--------------------

"Puny earthlings do not yet know the meaning of the word suffering!!"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A few general questions (Yes ive read the FAQ) [Re: jackbenimble]
    #550081 - 02/13/02 03:08 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

1) As long as there is water condensing on the sides of the terr. it should be high enough, but the bubbler is not needed 24/7...it could lower the humidity quite a bit. It depends on where you live, if the humidity is realitively low, you should just fan, and have that bubbler going into a cup of water to up the humidity even more. If its somewhat humid were you live, you should just have the bubbler in water w/o the perlite, and just mist. This will most likely be enough humidity for you. OR, just take a small tupperware and fill it with perlite and water, so you can take it out if its too much.

2)Yeah, probably. The contamination probably came from not being sterile enough working with the cakes and casings. The BRF should be OK. Ive used mine after a while, and its been ok . If you want its pretty inexpensive to just buy a new bag if it makes you feel better...probably wouldnt hurt just to get a new one!!!!

3) My bubbler already has a good filter on it, so I dont know. You should just have it going into the cup of water (with hygdrogen peroxide), and it would filter out some of the airborne contams...Get a filter if it doesnt already have one to be on the safe side.

4) You're container is probably not air tight, so it will be ok. The positve pressure of the oxygen is a good thing. However, if it is pretty air tight and you want to drill a few holes, just drill them 1/2-1" above the perlite. Only 1-2, a few, maybe a 1/4 " wide.

Hope that helps, good luck...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation