Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Thoughts on the meaning of life
    #549747 - 02/13/02 06:42 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have a thought on what the meaning of life is. Possibly for humans, we are here to understand the universe. Humans are concious beings capable of thought, understanding and learning. It is genetically programmed into our bodies to explore, learn and discover and understand our surroundings. We constantly seek knowledge and understanding, which is why we are here debating such topics. We seek to know what we do not know. The stars are here to give light, engery, heat and life to the universe. The Planets exist to hold and sustain certain types of life. Everything has a purpose. Perhaps intelligent life is here to understand the universe. To me, it is quite possible , that we are the Universes way to "know itself", just as stars are the universes way to "fuel" itself and the planets are the universes way to "shelter" itself and some of it's contents. We are here only to learn, discover and know the Universe as it is, has and will be.

What I think the meaning of our lives could be:

"We are the Universes way to "know itself"

Any other thoughts on this theory or others? What does everyone else think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: Zylo]
    #549775 - 02/13/02 07:19 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

That could be true, but the desire for understanding could just be a throwback of our primate instincts. If a caveman understood how the world around him worked, then he could maximize his efforts or better defend himself against potential threats. I think a state of all-acceptance and all-loving regardless of mathematical comprehension to be just as valuable, if not more so.

It is an interesting theory though.

InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #549818 - 02/13/02 08:25 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm.. You bring up a good point, I think it just backs up what I said though.

Think about it.....

You say that we strive to explore and learn and understand our surroundings because we need to stay alive? Well that makes sense then doesn't it, that the same thing that keeps us alive, is the same thing that the universe has bestowed upon us to know itself. The exact same mechanism we use to "know the universe" is the exact same mechanism we use to stay alive.....

Your post just backed up what I was saying, that we are the universes way to know itself.

It makes perfect sense to use the exact same mechanism to live. Again, it re-confirms the reason for being here. The reason for living. We live to understand our surroundings. We live to pass on the information to newer generations. We explain our world to them, and they do more exploring. During our explorations we discover way to protect ourselves to live longer, go farther, discover, research and document more (medicine, writing, computers, space ships)

All this is just so that we can live, and it is exactly that reason I say we are here.

Our purpose is just to understand our surroundings. Our entire lives are based upon this fact which you have helped to show.

Our entire existence is based on understanding how our surrounding environments work. We are the Universes way to know itself.

Like I said, the meaning of life

"We are the universes way to know itself"

Cavement discovering how the world works helps us live longer, and we accomplish our goal in life. "To know the universe and how it all works"

Our meaning in life.

OfflineFood
---Beast---

Loc: Siberia
    #549828 - 02/13/02 08:36 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

On a less serious note I have a friend who says :smile:
"The reason we exist is to try to find out what the reason we exist for is"

Hahah paradoxicalmadness .

--------------------
--------mushworld.com-----More info than you can throw a stick at-

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: Food]
    #549900 - 02/13/02 09:50 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

"The reason we exist is to try to find out what the reason we exist for is"
This is true. As soon as you figure it out you will be killed by a bus, or a stroke, or fall in the bathtub... So take your time unraveling the puzzle.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #550159 - 02/13/02 02:12 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

So if you find out the meaning of life does it change anything? Nope
Maybe you will die satisfied of the all knowing but what does that get you?
Just think about the things you know. Then think about the things you don't know.
Now here is the fun part.
Try thinking about the things you don't know, you don't know.
Very interesting.

Im sure there is alot of stuff out there that people have never even dreamed of so much we never knew existed.

Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #550175 - 02/13/02 02:24 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

But just because we have instincts for something doesn't make it "right", or even something we should be striving for. The desire for power is a pretty innate human instinct, but does that mean greed is a value we should be fostering in our society?

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #550195 - 02/13/02 02:39 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

No greed should not be part of society but that is what I think most Industrial nations are built on im afraid. This made for a very eerie trip for me once. I took some cid and my sober friend was nice enough to take us trippers on a tour of the city a major metropolitan area and the whole ride all I could say to myself was, "How did all this shit get here shiny mettalic cars and Shiny neon McDonalds arches all very unattural?", only to have the answer appear so bluntly and hard to digest it was GREED a crazy multi-demensional halucination. It was very negative to say the least.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineFood
---Beast---

Loc: Siberia
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: Swami]
    #550331 - 02/13/02 04:40 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Swami - how can it be true it is completely paradoxical - its like circular reasoning applied to the meaning of life .

Hahahahea - you were joking werent you - shit I am confused now . -were you joking ?

--------------------
--------mushworld.com-----More info than you can throw a stick at-

InvisibleZylo
journeyman
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: Food]
    #550358 - 02/13/02 05:21 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

=================

"Try thinking about the things you don't know, you don't know.
Very interesting. "

================

I have often laid in my hammock in the backyard at night asking myself the same questions and thinking of the same thing. Staring at one particular star, wondering, what is there? Life? What kind? What does it eat, wait, who says life HAS to eat? Trees do not "eat" persay, perhaps other intelligent life, perhaps more intelligent then humans do not need to eat, but get all their nutrients through some type of photosynthesis of their own.. Or perhaps they get the food from whatever it is that they breathe?  Must life be Bipedal to be intelligent, it seems not, as Dolphins are reckonized as extremely intelligent, the problem with Dolpins is that they can not talk as well as we do. They have no hands or feet to manuever anything as well as we can. What if Dolphins had bodies like us?  Perhaps one day we could transplant a dolphin brain into a cybornetic body? Capable of human speech and human motor skills for the dolphin to learn? I think something like this might come along before we travel to distant stars in search of other life. Already here on earth we do have True Cyborgs who walk around blind, but have chips implanted in their brains, and plugs in the sides of their heads who walk around with special goggles with all this rigged up and they are able to see light and darkness and very grainy shapes. Perhaps one day we can construct an entire body capable of many human functions, and we can transplant brains into these bodies. Which would give a new meaning to our lives. I think brains can live at least 200 years maybe more before it's cells start to die off. Our bodies are just not up to par with how long our brains can last. Perhaps we can transfer our brain into another body. This would bring up many new questions as to what "Life" really is.... Is life a living breathing Physical body with living tissue? Or do we exist soley as thoughts in this universe, and our bodies are a way of percieving the universe. Do we need bodies at all? Are humans merely just thoughts and ideas? If we could get rid of a living body, and replace it with a cybornetic one. We technically would just be a brain, and what is a brain? little neurons and tissues and pathways sending electrical signals both ways. A brain on it's own does not move. A brain on it's own does not show any signs of life. Technically, would be be the living dead? Would we need to change what we view as "life".  If we could just be a brain transplanted around, what would we be? Are we just electrical signals? Are we nothing more than energy? Like lightning? Heat? Magnatism?

I have scared the shit out of myself thinking about this while on shrooms alone in my backyard staring at the sky....

What do you think of that?

I'll be back later tonight, I look forward to everyones insight on what I just posted :smile:

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
    #550535 - 02/13/02 08:20 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

the meaning of life is instinct in all of us. I remember being so happy on shrooms as they told me the meaning of life, but I forgot what they said.

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: SherlockDrubu]
    #552094 - 02/15/02 12:51 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The meaning of life is to learn, live, experience, gain knowledge and evolve.

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: ]
    #552110 - 02/15/02 01:10 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

Edited by Lallafa (02/15/02 01:16 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Thoughts on the meaning of life [Re: Lallafa]
    #552150 - 02/15/02 02:13 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I've been getting the oddest feeling that a rabbit has been chasing me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag