Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Weed ruins the mood
    #5495814 - 04/09/06 07:56 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Let's discuss a topic seldom talked about: the impact of people using weed on the cohesion of a group, part of which stays sober.

Imagine being at a party. Somebody whips out a bong and the weed goes round and round. All good and well for the ones who get high, but the people who choose to abstain often feel the mood of the party plummets if too much weed goes around.

People turn inward, talk less, are more referential and they more or less withdraw into an inner world which takes precedence over the social happening that is the party.

When alcohol and weed meet in relatively inexperienced people there often is sickness and vomitting.

What is your experience with "mixed" parties of "stoners" and "sobers"? Mention if you're a stoner or a sober in these matters.

It is my experience that once too much weed goes around among the stoners, the quality of conversation and social interactions rapidly diminish. The nonsmokers are more or less forced to withdraw in a group of their own because a roaring party gradually turns into a get-together of old folks: Its literally as if the stoners age sixty years once too much weed goes around :mad:

I've been a stoner myself, and I imbided heavily, but now that I'm clean of it (I do use LSD and such on occasion, but not weed4lyfe) i'm getting a whole different picture of what really happends if people decide to get stoned among people who do not. A little weed goes a long way to enhance the party, but it often leads to a LOT of weed and that, plain and simple, snuffs out the mood of the party for those who do not get high.

What are your experiences?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: Asante]
    #5495827 - 04/09/06 08:01 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, in case you're wondering: Yes, I recently was at such a party. It wasn't that too much weed going around "diminished" the festivity: the party was taken out and shot, not by the stoners but by the influence of too much weed on the stoners, which they did not notice, could not help nor felt bad about. It all mattered not because they had their kicks :mad:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinebutane
bioresearcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #5495838 - 04/09/06 08:06 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with you completely. As a stoner in those types of situations, I can easily tell that those who don't smoke feel left out. And, those who do smoke feel a sort of special bond. I think it creates a division between the high and the sober. If it's a party of mostly or only stoners, then I have no problem whipping out the bong, but if there's anything over 1/3 of people who don't smoke, I usually stay sober and hang out with the other sober people. I think it's quite rude to exclude them from the party, which although I understand it isn't intentional, it is exactly what happens.

--------------------
"...but by and large it was a simple intoxication with most things seeming quite hilarious. The intoxication was also quite extreme."

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#5495877 - 04/09/06 08:19 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I've seen alcohol have the same if not more of a dividing effect among people. Who wants to be the sober person around a bunch of drunk people? I can hang out with stoned people when I'm not high, but I find it much more difficult to relate to those who are drunk when I'm not.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: butane]
    #5495880 - 04/09/06 08:20 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Exactemundo!

It's not the "squares" creating an enclave of sobriety but rather it is the stoners which introduce the divide and create the polarity.

When at a party you derive a certain degree of satisfaction. When you are sober you "invest" in the people and get your satisfaction from interaction. When big Stone cometh however you invest mostly in the getting high and the satisfaction is internal.

Being really stoned generally means being really indifferent. Whether it is Sativa or Indica matters to some degree, but when its enough and especially when tobacco is added people withdraw.

The best thing that can happen to a party involving stoners is that the weed is tasty but not too strong. Once there is good strong ganja in the house, and a few hardcore stoners decide it's time to let go, it might as well be heroin going around :mad:

When I look back on my stoned years I feel a bit embarressed that I so casually dismissed the subtle dismay of nonsmokers.
Toking on a party can be very egotistical :blush:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: peruvian spark]
    #5495886 - 04/09/06 08:25 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I can hang out with stoned people when I'm not high, but I find it much more difficult to relate to those who are drunk when I'm not.

It's a matter of degree.
Its my experience that it is far more common for stoners to smoke themselves near comatose than it is for drinkers to drink themselves to smittereens.
I see much more hard-toking than hard-drinking.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineTyrone_C
Stranger

#5495961 - 04/09/06 08:53 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Intresting topic.

For the most part, if I'm hanging out with people, we're all either blazing, or none of us are, so I'm not exactly very knowledgable, but I'll share my oppinion from the few experiences I've had.

Sometimes it's exactly as Wiccan said, and other times (often in a bigger less 'close' group) the people who don't blaze make fun of the people blazing. This happened to me and a few friends once, we blazed and the weed jokes never stopped, it was a real buzzkill.

So from my experience I either say do one or the other. Usually if I'm with people who aren't wanting to blaze, I figure they probably don't want to watch me or some of my other friends blazing anyhow, I know from experience (before I blazed) that it can be unconfterable for non-stoners to watch a bunch of people get high. So yeah, I agree that the social level of a group or party definatly goes down when some people blaze and some don't, it's like being on two different levels and doesn't always mix well.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5495992 - 04/09/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I agree, a few minutes after the bong breaks out, the vibe is totally changed...

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5496028 - 04/09/06 09:28 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I always wondered about this.

My brother started smoking weed a few years before me. Him and about 5 or 6 of his friends would sit in the lounge smoking joints or bongs and I would be the only sober person, I would feel totally disconnected from what they were doing.

And on the other side, I was once the only stoned person sitting in a room with about 7 or 8 drunk people (they didn't know I was stoned). That's definitely not comfortable either.

OfflineAlwaysFlowin
Never Pass onGrass
 User Gallery

#5496030 - 04/09/06 09:30 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Eh, I guess what it comes down to is that there is a time and place for (almost) everything.  Sometimes marijuana can quelch social interaction, but sometimes alcohol can destroy true bonds. 

However, these social interactions are seemingly needed to create these true bonds... so I definitely see where you're coming from in this regard- pulling out the nug can most certainly interfere with these interactions at times.

I think smokers and drinkers alike need to be aware that sometimes you simply have to put the nug aside for the night... but similarly, sometimes a couple bongs floating around a large group is all the doctor ordered :smile:.

OfflineFruitboot
Stranger
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: AlwaysFlowin]
    #5496047 - 04/09/06 09:40 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I totally agree. I know this one guy who I hangout with sometimes, and he doesn't cheef because of medical reasons. He gets pissed whenever everybody else gets stoned and he is the only one drinking. It is a boring situation. Eventually there will be a head or 2 on the table passed out from so much weed. Weed isn't a good party drug. Weed is a more chillin with some people and have nothing to do kind of drug.

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: AlwaysFlowin]
    #5496065 - 04/09/06 09:49 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

After the first fun year or so, weed should be done is small groups or alone because it does make you go kind of inward. I've had highs that made me the opposite, but more than that I just get too stoned to be talking to big groups of people.

Alcohol is better for a big party, with a lil weed here and there.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

OfflineHypercube
80 SRM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5496503 - 04/09/06 01:01 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Recently I was at a friend's harvest party, as the only person not partaking in the public stoning. So I popped some shrooms, only about 1.5 cuz I didn't want to get *really* weird with all these blank-faced stoners around.

Ended up having a great time. I noticed the stereotypical die-down of convo once people got really blazed, but whoever I talked to sorta fed off my energy and I ended up having really good, philosophical conversations with a few people. I was acting all zany and animated, speaking fluently and with energy, and I felt that the stoners were attracted to that. Jealous even?

Haha, some girl was scoping me out for the longest time, but I'm shy in the first place, and totally incapable of dealing with such a situation on shrooms. Not to mention, more interested in exploring ideas with people than thinking up mindless flirtation responses.

I'd like parties better if everyone did a low dose of shrooms instead of smoking herb and getting drunk...

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: Hypercube]
    #5496663 - 04/09/06 01:54 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I'd like parties better if everyone did a low dose of shrooms instead of smoking herb and getting drunk...

It would be way more interesting and might lead to a literally *roaring* party, but not everyone can handle that.
It would be way deep too :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineKaleidoscope
Voodoo Child
Loc: the 28th dimension
    #5496940 - 04/09/06 03:24 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know, I've had a lot of success when my roommates and I throw parties by creating the divide before any substance is used. The weed is on the second floor and the booze is in the basement...people go to their respective parts of the house depending on what they are looking for and then after a while people go to the first floor and mingle. It tends to work out quite well.

--------------------

Purple haze, all in my brain, lately things just don't seem the same. Actin' funny but I don't know why, 'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5496942 - 04/09/06 03:24 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

beatnicknick said:
After the first fun year or so, weed should be done is small groups or alone because it does make you go kind of inward. I've had highs that made me the opposite, but more than that I just get too stoned to be talking to big groups of people.

Alcohol is better for a big party, with a lil weed here and there.

i agree!

for me that kind social interaction while stoned is often very hard!
i tend to get uptight or read too much into what people say...
i end up sitting there staring/analizing everything insted of talking or whatever it is people do :smirk:

weed is indeed a drug for sitting with a few close freinds and having nothing to do... or taking a walk... or drawing/dancing/listening to music/exploring your inner mind...

lazing on the beach...

too much too often usualy ends up not being fun at all!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: Simisu]
    #5496965 - 04/09/06 03:33 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i hope i get the chance to go to a party with everyone on half an eighth.  that would probably be the most tripped out awesome experience ever.  id prolly eat more like an eighth myself however :smile:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: pong]
    #5496981 - 04/09/06 03:38 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i hope i get the chance to go to a party with everyone on half an eighth. that would probably be the most tripped out awesome experience ever. id prolly eat more like an eighth myself however

I'll take 1/10 of your dose, with lemon :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
    #5496994 - 04/09/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

how long does that usualy last for you?

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#5497009 - 04/09/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I would say this is true for certain types of people who are of the party not partaking in smoking. I have friends that are cool with other people smoking but then if I smoke with one of my brothers, around our other brother, it's easy to see he doesn't like it. My non-smoking brother isn't against it, he has smoked before, but I think the pot smoker's inside jokes gets to him. I've also felt weird seeing people I respected just getting torn up.

I always want to talk to people stoned, but I'm afraid that I'm replying way to late or way too soon and all that so a lot of times I end up saying nothing at all.

I would say there's almost no problem with drinking and sober people. I know plenty of people that have a great time not drinking. I've been a little irritated at times just because drunk people can be obnoxious, but other than that drunk people can be kinda fun to be around.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5497010 - 04/09/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I'm pretty sensitive, but also a microdoser.

0.25-0.5gr portions with lemon..

00:00h dose
01:00h plateau
03:00h descent
05:00h down

I tend to boost with same doses every three hours, seamlessly extending the peak another three hours.

If I redose on 03:00h, what I usually do, it's like this:

00:00h dose
01:00h plateau
07:00h descent
09:00h down

This is not as intense as usual tripping (unless you take more) but it being 4-HO-DMT its still *very* interesting.
Its an acquired taste. You need to learn how to mentally enhance the effects on these doses and learn to appreciate them.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleZorodius
Stranger andStranger

#5497024 - 04/09/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
It's a matter of degree.
Its my experience that it is far more common for stoners to smoke themselves near comatose than it is for drinkers to drink themselves to smittereens.
I see much more hard-toking than hard-drinking.

Personally, I see a lot more hard drinking than hard toking. I feel comfortable talking to people who are stoned while I'm sober. They're relaxed, and it makes me feel relaxed. Conversely, I don't enjoy having to interact with drunk people while sober. Plus, there's always the unpleasant lingering concern that someone will get drunk enough to require medical attention.

I guess my opinion is different due to personal preference, but also because my experience has brought me into contact with a lot more misuse of alcohol than weed.

Offlinebutane
bioresearcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: Zorodius]
    #5497288 - 04/09/06 05:45 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Zorodius said:
I feel comfortable talking to people who are stoned while I'm sober. They're relaxed, and it makes me feel relaxed. Conversely, I don't enjoy having to interact with drunk people while sober. Plus, there's always the unpleasant lingering concern that someone will get drunk enough to require medical attention.

I've found that drunk people are really only fun to talk to when you're drunk, and even then it can get annoying. Drunk people are usually the only ones around them having fun, while the sober people are just getting annoyed at the idiocy of the drunk ones. I hate having to baby-sit drunk people.

--------------------
"...but by and large it was a simple intoxication with most things seeming quite hilarious. The intoxication was also quite extreme."

OfflineQuantumMeltdown
Space Monkey
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: butane]
    #5497292 - 04/09/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I can agree that weed ruins the mood when your not smoking. You don't always know the reasons why some people aren't partaking at a party maybe they really want to but they can't because maybe they have to keep it hidden from their girl friend who is there or maybe they have Drug Tests for probation or a job and they just feel left out that can suck. I had to stop chilling with my friends for a year because of probation all they do when they hang out around the house is smoke and I couldn't stand to see them do it and not be able to partake.

--------------------
-QuantumMeltdown

Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
  -Mark Twain

"The time has come the walrus said, little oysters  hide their heads, my Twain of thought is loosely bound I guess its time to Mark this down, Be good and you will be lonesome
Be lonesome and you will be free
Live a lie and you will live to regret it
That's what livin' is to me
That's what livin' is to me"
Jimmy Buffett

OfflineColdCash
The WonderfulWizard ofOzloops

Loc: Canada, British Columbia
Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: QuantumMeltdown]
    #5500261 - 04/10/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Me and 2 other good friends of mine quit drinking about half a year ago, mainly because drugs are easier, cheaper, and much more ufn then drinking. Drinking has just too many unpleasant effects like puking and whatnot and I can handle drugs a lot better. At parties most everyone drinking and we smoke weed and it's fine. Our group has all done their fair share of drugs so everyone just does what they feel like at parties. It's not uncommon to have someone on mushrooms while half the people are drinking or smoking weed, and perhaps a few people are on acid or something else. Everyone has their insecurities but I'd like to think my social group has more brains to it then your average party of young people just getting drunk so we are very understanding of people doing their own thing. If you're on acid and don't feel like talking, you just have to say it and they nod and go talk to someone ese because they've been there too.

--------------------
It was a techno D-day - a techno D-day!
Way out on Omaha beach!
Where the troops believe in a life of freedom,
And this is all about free speech!

OfflineWaffle
patty
Male User Gallery
    #5500327 - 04/10/06 04:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Saturday night a stoned friend came to hang out with myself and two sober people, and you could definatly tell he was out of his element. One of the girls was putting him down, and messing with him, which unless it is warrented, is unacceptable in my opinion.
I ended up letting the guy crash at my place, because he wasn't allowed to do it with two girls, it turns out My Big Fat Greek Wedding isn't even funny to a stoned person.

When I've been the sober minority, around drinkers and smokers, I have definatly been left out. I don't blame those who partake though, they do what they like, and I did what I liked. Usually when I get to a party with drinking or smoking, I do a bit immediatly, to help me ease into the situation.

I tend to become more focused on my own thoughts when I smoke, like a big dream untill someone tells me to pass the bong, or when laughter erupts.

Fortunatly, I've never been in the situation with novice drinkers and smokers, everyone did their thing, and had fun without hurling.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: Waffle]
    #5500351 - 04/10/06 04:09 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i don't like people + alcohol
i prefer people + weed.

alcohol parties are too rambunctious and wild.
but i understnad how you feel that weed "parties" are a bit too withdrawn.......

i guess it depends, if it's just like 5 people and they all smoke up who cares if no one speaks for 3 hours? I mean.... they're just chillin...

if it were some bigass party and a group of people smoked up and just spaced out then i could see what you're getting at, it would take the life down some.

personally though..... weed is my drug of choice over alcohol, but if in a social gathering it should be kept to where you just have a bit of a buzz and can still be social, not to where it's super dank, you hit too much, and you're tripping harder than you can ever recall tripping on the herb and can only manage to sit there for several hours on end.
(which is what happened to me)

anyway the most important thing is WEED AND TV ARE A DEADLY COMBO.... bad bad bad bad BAD!!!! get some GOOD VIBES going with the weed, happy music, or a cool movie, but no fucking tv. hopefully people get what i mean.

I mean really that's the most unproductive thing, it's better to just sit in silence and be stoned and talk about random things or collectively tune into a good piece of music... stoned people watching tv is pretty lame...... let the brainwashing soak in 1000x easier... yeah great idea....... sit around and make music, play some games, listen to music, maybe even watch a movie but vegging out in front of tv and not even being able to remember what is going on because of the pacing of the commercials and your stonedness, you're just draining your brain!

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (04/10/06 04:11 PM)

Invisiblebare.whiterabbit
Lapin Blanc
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Microwave Flag
    #12662384 - 05/31/10 06:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
People turn inward, talk less, are more referential and they more or less withdraw into an inner world which takes precedence over the social happening that is the party.

I think this is based on a person to person and tolerance basis...so I kind of resent the idea, of someone assuming, that just because someone is a lightweight at a party, that they aren't going to have just as much fun, as those people who're sober, simply because they don't feel a need to outwardly interject every thought in their head.

Stoners with even a decent tolerance can usually go through the day doing anything and everything that someone sober can, and a chronic or medicinal heavy user, on a hash cookie and 4 rips from a volcano bag, can usually go to work and do everything that's asked of them in a day.

Now this also depends on the shit your smoking, because a good sativa, will put you in a good and lean headspace throughout your day, whereas, yes, an indica, will fuck you in the left ear and leave your brain melting out the right.

--------------------

OfflineFatChicksNcoke
And psychedelics :D
 User Gallery

Re: Weed ruins the mood [Re: bare.whiterabbit]
    #12662437 - 05/31/10 06:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

:dontspillme: omg how old is that thing?

:seriousbusiness:

Quote:

bare.whiterabbit said:
Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

I think this is based on a person to person and tolerance basis...so I kind of resent the idea, of someone assuming, that just because someone is a lightweight at a party, that they aren't going to have just as much fun, as those people who're sober, simply because they don't feel a need to outwardly interject every thought in their head.

Stoners with even a decent tolerance can usually go through the day doing anything and everything that someone sober can, and a chronic or medicinal heavy user, on a hash cookie and 4 rips from a volcano bag, can usually go to work and do everything that's asked of them in a day.

Now this also depends on the shit your smoking, because a good sativa, will put you in a good and lean headspace throughout your day, whereas, yes, an indica, will fuck you in the left ear and leave your brain melting out the right.

--------------------
:bobmarley: Shroomism said:
biting into a juicy delicious piece of fruit while tripping balls is probably up there in my greatest life experiences.:lsdabc:

HappyTrippin said:
I usually combat those kinds of negative statuses with a status of my own.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful. - Buddha

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag