Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: bukkake]
    #5490367 - 04/07/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:
If the poor in America live like kings in comparison to most of the world, what do the wealthy live like?

Super kings.

Quote:

bukkake said:
Are you also suggesting poverty and hunger do not exist in America?

Of course poverty and hunger exist in America. But, strangely enough all of the poor people I know are overweight.

Quote:

bukkake said:
You would not be as mystified if you read what I was replying to and the context I was using it in. I would imagine the psychosis I am being blinded by includes the factual statistics showing while the wealthy have gotten wealthier, the poor have gotten poorer.

I don't care about disparity. Because of differences in intelligence, effort, and luck there will be disparities in any society.

Edited by RandalFlagg (04/07/06 03:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5490401 - 04/07/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

But, to stay on topic I will give my view of illegal immigration.

How much money do illegal immigrants contribute to our economy by working crap jobs for cheap? We should add all of that up and assign a monetary value to it. Let's call this value "A".

We should then figure out how much money they drain away from our society by receiving services (sending their kids to our schools, obtaining welfare benefits, etc...) and not paying taxes. Let's call this value "B".

If "A" is more than "B" I say we let them come in and stay. If "B" is more than "A" I say we get a LOT tougher on illegal immigration.

Edited by RandalFlagg (04/07/06 03:28 PM)

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: daimyo]
    #5490419 - 04/07/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Build a wall. Naturalize those that are here already. Let some in as guest workers (with electronic trackers implanted in them if necessary) in some sort of annual program. If they do enough years in the program, they can apply for citizenship.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleDieCommie

#5490462 - 04/07/06 03:49 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bukkake said:Are you also suggesting poverty and hunger do not exist in America?

Bingo. I have never seen or heard of anyone dieng of hunger in america except for decades ago in the past. The only people going hungry are the children of abusive parents and tweakers who are too spun to know they should eat. This is what real poverty and hunger look like:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5490465 - 04/07/06 03:50 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
You would forsake modern conveniences like electricity, heat (gas.....which requires no effort to turn on), vehicular transportation, free internet at the library, advanced medical care (often paid for by the government if you are poor), etc.. to live in a stone building with no running water and ancient technology? Not me....

You seem to be quite ignorant about history. The ancient Romans had running water, as well as heat. They were not nearly as backwards as you seem to think.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Immigration Vote [Re: Silversoul]
    #5490473 - 04/07/06 03:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:You seem to be quite ignorant about history. The ancient Romans had running water, as well as heat. They were not nearly as backwards as you seem to think.

True, but thats was the case only in a small portion, of one city in the ancient world. Personally, I agree with Randal, I would rather be "poor" in america today with the internet, penicillin, cars, television, modern dentistry etc. than an aristocrat in rome.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: DieCommie]
    #5490578 - 04/07/06 04:37 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I certainly won't disagree with the assessment that poor today are better off than the poor of the past, or even the middle class of the past. But I think you guys are underestimating just how opulent a lifestyle the very wealthy lived, even in ancient times.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5490629 - 04/07/06 05:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
You seem to be quite ignorant about history. The ancient Romans had running water, as well as heat. They were not nearly as backwards as you seem to think.

You cherry-picked one of the most advanced civilizations in the ancient world. And would you really trade your instant hot water and your guaranteed healthy drinking water coming out of your faucet for some aqueduct setup that might contain water that is teeming with bacteria or viruses?

I'll give you some better examples of how modern people have it better than ancient people:

Transportation:

Travel for rich people in past times: A rickety stage-coach on a shitty road, a grueling ride on horseback, or maybe a rough ride on a train. With the technology that was available you could only travel a limited amount of miles.

Travel for poor people today: Even the poorest person can obtain a bus ticket relatively quickly. They can enjoy a smooth ride at high speeds to get where they want to go very quickly.

Health Care:

Health Care for rich people in ancient times: Oftentimes painful, archaic, and sometimes inneffective.

Health Care for poor people in modern times: They have access to modern facilities with modern equipment. X-Rays, cat-scans, and complicated surgical procedures are available and oftentimes Medicaid will pay for it.

Housing:

Housing for the rich in ancient times: There was no electricity. There were no modern appliances. There was probably no running water.

Housing for poor people in modern times: Electricity, efficient heating, modern appliances, and a minimum safety code for building structures are present.

I reiterate....I would immediately pick being a poor person in modern society as opposed to being a rich person in past times. Technology has provided a level of comfort, convenience, and safety to modern citizens (even poor ones) that ancient rich people could not even fathom.

Edited by RandalFlagg (04/07/06 05:17 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

#5490650 - 04/07/06 05:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I know how opulent the ancient romans were, in fact im in a history of ancient rome class right now (though it is my lowest grade). Im just a sucker for modern technology, with all its health benefits and intellectual stimulation. I know it sounds corny, but I wouldnt trade access to modern technology for even being dictator for life of rome.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #5490703 - 04/07/06 05:46 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Drinking my fill of wine in lead-based pottery

or

Jack Daniels, double up on the rocks.......

but then agian all of those loose Roman women in togas...... I am at a lose :banghead:

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5490725 - 04/07/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

bukkake has made clear his opinion of Americans.

"I stated what American culture was directly after. America most certainly does have a culture. It is in the form of financial skyscrapers and fat people."

Whatever.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Immigration Vote [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5490735 - 04/07/06 06:03 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Thats a quite bigoted statement made by bukkake.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5490739 - 04/07/06 06:05 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

What is your culture?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Immigration Vote [Re: barfightlard]
    #5490748 - 04/07/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I don't care about disparity.

Then our exchange was a waste of time of time for both of us.

Quote:

Thats a quite bigoted statement made by bukkake.

I thought it was hilarious. I can get away with saying things like that as I am American, but I do believe America really does have no culture, or it is at least limited or very negative.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#5490835 - 04/07/06 07:06 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, the culture in America is always under attack by the "salad bowl" and the "melting pot theories" (just think how stupid those really sound by themselves).

If America does not have a culture, then why is the vast majority of world trying to replicate our things? For example, why is the most recognized trademark in the world, Coke?

When I was in Jordon, there is a Kentucky Fried Chicken, literally in the middle of the desert. How come I dont see a majority of European themed entertainment/lifestyle here?

In my opinion culture plays a role in development of a nation. American ingenuity cannot be denied. From the refinements of the automobile, TV, phones, electricity, airplane, nuclear tech,etc. All of these things, that have changed the world, have come from America. Just by chance?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

InvisibleDieCommie

#5490896 - 04/07/06 08:04 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

All the greatest cultures throughout history have been updated and improved versions of the culture of the ancient greeks. This ideology has bounced around the Mediterranean for over 2000 years, benefiting all who adopted it. America and West Europe are the modern caretakers of this great tradition, but cultures and societies around the globe have all benefited when they follow this classical culture.

Coke and KFC are just superficial pieces of culture imo. Thats like saying tacos and tequila are part of mexican culture (they are, but those are superficial aspects).

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#5490923 - 04/07/06 08:15 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I was trying to get more at......why is our culture so integrated in other countries, if we do not have one?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

InvisibleDieCommie

#5490929 - 04/07/06 08:17 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I see, well Im sure we will get some fun answers to that question.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#5490933 - 04/07/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

And why is everyone trying to immigrate here to begin with, if our culture is so racist?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5491846 - 04/08/06 02:18 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I thought it was hilarious

Me too  :smile:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies