Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
Invisibledeeptraveller
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: russia
Re: Keep in mind - Short notes about use of ascorbic acid [Re: udok]
    #6547739 - 02/09/07 04:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

all is much easier.... I suggest to not heat up! solvent at extraction (time is a factor and correctly made mix for extraction), so act in laboratories...
even if to heat up solvent it is possible to do it at the lowered pressure and in darkness..... it will lower temperature of boiling. Solvent will be covered with the own evaporations and boiling vitamin C will not adjoin to oxygen. It is possible to force to boil solvent at 10'C? It is not necessary a lot of the equipment..... the price of a question 100-150$.... it's necessary to pay money for chemical glass, but it's very necessary because I declare that at contact usual glass and solvent there is a capture of molecules of a usual glass and then they get to us in a mouth)

there are two methods of extraction:
1) Extraction as salts
2) Extraction as the free bases

-in the first case extraction is carried out by means of solvent and a quantity of an acid (for us it is the best way to use a citric acid) is a scientific definition! In most cases extraction carry out without heating.

salts of active substances are usually dissolved in water and in spirits, but not dissolved in ether and hydrocarbons.
I draw a conclusion: pscn and psbn have chemical properties close to chemical properties of salts....can somebody object or offer something in exchange. Never heard to what class these substances concern.

-in the second case, mushrooms should be processed by the alkali...

delirium in the end.... but I am, as all of us, in a way instead of in a final point. psbn can be the secondary basis for example. sorry..... I shall soon prove my conclusion or I shall offer the new theory about a structure of these substances with substantiations

--------------------
we makes only that we makes...... this is very amusing idea if you under mushrooms_try this if you are not afraid
I have told it or have thought?

Edited by deeptraveller (02/09/07 05:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineTamadragon
Stranger
Male

Loc: CAN
    #6548277 - 02/09/07 07:41 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Uhmm what does Vit C and E have in common?

Vit E: "Tocopherol, or vitamin E, is a fat-soluble vitamin in eight forms that is an important antioxidant. Vitamin E is often used in skin creams and lotions because it is claimed by the manufacturers to play a role in encouraging skin healing and reducing scarring after injuries such as burns."

Vit C: "Vitamin C is a nutrient required in very small amounts to allow a range of essential metabolic reactions in the body. Vitamin C is principally known as a water-soluble anti-oxidant and has been found to prevent scurvy.[1][2] It is also known by the chemical name of its principal form, L-ascorbic acid or simply ascorbic acid.

See Vit C is water soluble. While Vit E is fat soluble. so uhmm what was your point again? Vit E would not even mix with Vit C and most likly not even help in extracting anything. we don't want more oily gunk that has to be.

if you rephrase your point and maybe explain what you were trying to say...

your point about how vit C breaks down in heat and light/o2 is noteworthy.

asorbic acid may not be the answer. cause if it breaks down too fast, what would be the point? the psilocin would break down fast to0

--------------------
~Tama

Peace

I get real lonely

Edited by Tamadragon (02/09/07 07:44 PM)

Offlineudok
Stranger???
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Keep in mind - Short notes about use of ascorbic acid [Re: Tamadragon]
    #6741013 - 04/03/07 03:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry for the delay :frown:

Psilocin is lipophilic like tocopherol.
Ascorbic acid is hydrophilic ok- but ascorbylpalmitate is lipophilic.
(ascorbylpalmitate = ascorbic acid ester)

A combination of tocopherol and ascorbylpalmitate is a very good antioxidant.
Only psilocin must be protected against oxidation.
Thats all.

--------------------
And on the 7. day the creator designed the psychedelic drugs. Holy shit. Thats intelligent design far beyond my scope. :wink:
Namaste

Offlineudok
Stranger???
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
precipitation or denaturation of phosphatase / laccase ??? [Re: hIgHdRoLoVeR]
    #6741084 - 04/03/07 05:52 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone tried one of the following to get rid of the enzyme?
  • Acetone (ice cold?)
  • Ethanol (ice cold) ??????
  • Ammonium sulfate
  • Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)

--------------------
And on the 7. day the creator designed the psychedelic drugs. Holy shit. Thats intelligent design far beyond my scope. :wink:
Namaste

Edited by udok (04/03/07 11:44 AM)

Offlinedanr49
Stranger
    #6754875 - 04/06/07 06:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

udok said:
Sorry for the delay :frown:

Psilocin is lipophilic like tocopherol.
Ascorbic acid is hydrophilic ok- but ascorbylpalmitate is lipophilic.
(ascorbylpalmitate = ascorbic acid ester)

A combination of tocopherol and ascorbylpalmitate is a very good antioxidant.
Only psilocin must be protected against oxidation.
Thats all.

Psilocybin can oxidize -- just not as readily -- and is also susceptible gradually to Nitrogen over a long period of time.  When talking about shelf-life for a very long time, oxidation of psilocybin can be an issue depending on storage conditions.

Synthetic antioxidants like thiodipropionic acid and BHT will work better as long-term preservatives at the right concentrations and can protect powders from oxidation for years and years (indefinitely).  On the other hand, Vitamin C & E, while extending shelf-life, won't be able to this for years reliably.  It's been tested in dry animal foods.  I know ascorbyl palmitate is used as a preservative, but I'm not certain as to its shelf-life.

Thiodipropionic acid has very low toxicity, and is added to some multi-vitamin mixes and protects potently against secondary oxidation.  BHT is GRAS at the 'appropriate concentrations' and protects potently against primary oxidation.  I would use a combination of both at the right concentrations using a digital scale, and would probably mix the mushroom powder with some grape seed extract.  The grape seed extract has constituents that will protect the powder from oxidation "and" nitrogen.  The thiodipropionic acid and BHT will also protect the grape seed extract.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Keep in mind - Short notes about use of ascorbic acid [Re: danr49]
    #9047656 - 10/08/08 03:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i used this method a while ago but i forgot how long you are suppose to boil the slurry for... does anyone know?

Offlinealkylbenzene23
Indeed
 User Gallery

Re: Keep in mind - Short notes about use of ascorbic acid [Re: thenewguy05]
    #9060032 - 10/10/08 07:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Two things, 1. You don't BOIL the slurry, that would reduce its potency, you heat it to ~115F or so.

2. The report on Erowid says extraction was completed after an hour, I would go a little longer.

--------------------
If you try to lick your cat while tripping, and they bite you, are you even?

OfflineShroomBoominKid
Stranger

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Shampioenier]
    #9071268 - 10/13/08 04:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i wanted to track this... i only know how by posting.. sorry. GREAT info though im excited

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: ShroomBoominKid]
    #9612343 - 01/15/09 02:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Original link by Psilocybe Fanaticus is back up on the web archive section of his site.

http://www.fungifun.org/fanaticus/liqueu~1.htm

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Sillicybin]
    #9630655 - 01/18/09 10:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

nice thread

Edited by blahblahblah (01/18/09 12:11 PM)

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: blahblahblah]
    #9637035 - 01/19/09 11:25 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I had something to clarify. I have been reading posts about extractions done with ethanol, and this article keeps popping up.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/extrDr. Shulginaction.htm

I got the impression at first that 95% ethanol wouldn't work. Does something have to be soluble to be extracted? He wrote that

"The isolation of psilocybin seemed to be quite reasonable. This alkaloid is reasonably soluble in boiling water from which it can be nicely crystallized. It is less soluble in boiling methanol, and almost insoluble in boiling ethanol. And the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. With both, the less water present, the better."

When I read this I noticed that he said that it is insoluble in boiling ethanol, but that the extraction efficiency is optimum with methanol and almost as good with ethanol. Aren't solubility and extraction efficiency linked? It would seem that something that is soluble would extract more efficiently.

Just wanted to confirm what was correct. I tried an extract and I lost most of the potency. Started with 14 grams and took 3/4 of my extract liquid and it ended up being a 2 gram experience. I'm trying to understand what went wrong.

Also the links to this information were dead in other posts. The second link is interesting I'm glad it resurfaced...
http://deoxy.org/wiki/Mushrooms/Alkaloid_Extraction
http://www.thenook.org/archives/tek/searchextr.html

OfflineAircooled
Litre-A-Cola
 User Gallery

Loc: Chee...
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: thenewguy05]
    #9644441 - 01/20/09 10:42 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can get everclear in SD and WY. They dont even hide it on some dusty shelf in the back room. Nope, not round these parts, proudly on display next to the vodka, ready to mix into some prairie socialites punchbowl.

--------------------
"Jack thought it twice and thought that that had made it true. Some brains just work that way, that's what chemicals can do."

BTS

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Aircooled]
    #9644749 - 01/20/09 11:49 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

blahblahblah, it may help to describe your procedure or tell us which method you followed.  Did you boil the mixture at any point for a prolonged time?  Did you use vitamin C to help reduce oxidation?

I agree that the quote you posted is contradictory.  Any solvent is going to perform better at a higher temperature - maybe they oxidized the alkaloid without realizing it?

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Aircooled]
    #9645193 - 01/20/09 01:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I think it is more appropriate to post this here rather than starting a new thread...

Walk-through of an experimental extraction....

I decided to test the efficiency of 92.8% ethyl alcohol VS. 70% ethyl alcohol.

I started by grinding 60 grams of mushrooms to a fine powder in a blender. I prepared two flasks with alcohol,

1st 800g of 92.8%
2nd a mixture of 610 grams 92.8% + 250 ml water

To each of these flasks, 30g of the powdered mushrooms were added and then stirred by hand for 2 minutes . The flasks were left inside of a dark wardrobe for 12 hours.

The powdered mushroom had settled to the bottom of the flasks overnight. The top portion of liquid was a clear yellow color in both jars and free of any particles.

This first portion was carefully filtered off, using a fine coffee filter. I tried to avoid mixing the contents as much as possible. I then changed the filter and moved it to another container. I added the sediment and then squeezed the filtered to remove any excess solvent. This was done in a separate container so that if the filter were to rip I wouldn't have to re-filter the large bottle of solvent. I then took this liquid and filtered it into the large bottle. (I noticed that when you squeeze the moisture from the filtered material, spores pass through with the solvent, where if you allow it to filter normally and don't squeeze it out, this doesn't happen. So I re-filtered into the larger jar to remove the spores that had passed through from squeezing)

The mushroom powder was returned to the flasks.
1st flask received 400g of 92.8% alcohol
2nd flask received 305g of 92.8% and 125g water.

Here is a side by side comparison of the colors of the extracts. Left jar is the 92% ethanol and the right is the 70% ethanol. The one on the right is a greenish yellow, like seawater, the one on the left is a urine yellow. This greenish color turns to a brownish purple color after it has been heated.

The extracts were put into Pyrex baking dishes and placed on a window seal. The 70% alcohol extract started to form a top layer immediately. I noticed this before in a previous extraction. It starts as a translucent layer on top and then begins to get thicker and precipitates into the liquid.

The 92% is starting to form a layer as well, much slower than the 70%. Also the 70% is greener than before, from both evaporation and oxidation I believe. The layer on the 92% appears slightly more crystalline. The layer on both break apart into jagged pieces and attract when they get close to another piece. The 70% is starting to form into clumps in the liquid and settling to the bottom.

8 hours after the extracting.....
1/2 of the liquid has evaporated from both dishes. I moved them from the window seal to a dresser and turned on the ceiling fan. All of those pretty little white blobs in the 70% extract turned dark blue from the air blowing on it. Lol. Now I know what they were. I also have something to test now... fastfred was talking about using ascorbic acid to reverse the bluing. I will be able to do a bioassy of blue crystals vs. crystals that are cleared up using ascorbic acid (hopefully). Not a total loss.

Also the 92% is starting to form a heavy layer of precipitate. It should start falling back into solution soon.

Update 1-21
So it is 24 hours after pouring the extracts into the dishes. The 70% is blackish blueish brown, the 93% is a nice light brown with fluffy white stuff floating around in it. I'm 99% positive now that the layer(s) are the active chemicals. In 20 minutes under a ceiling fan, the film in the 70% tray turned from a light gray to almost jet black color, typical of psilocin oxidizing. Inside the liquid there are still light blobs floating around, but the top layer is a black film. More updates to come.

update 1-23
Three days after the extracts were placed in Pyrex dishes. The 92% is down to about 100ml. Tested, very active. The 70% is down to 300ml. I filtered both yesterday and I placed the 70% in a dessication chamber overnight to remove some of the water. It turned from a dark green back to a honey brown color, the same color as the 92%. I put them both in the freezer and re-filtered this morning. The 92% had three layers. One was a gunk layer and was filtered off, and the other two were two colored layers that mixed freely. The 70% didn't separate on freezing. I think it needs to reduce more. More to come.

Pics in order: 92% unfiltered, filtered, frozen then thawed, 70% after dessication, gunk in filter, gunk, gunk

Update 1-26
92% Dish is almost evaporated, its down to about 30ml.
70% Dish is at about 200ml. Very slow. I put the liquid back into a jar and put a computer fan on top. It is evaporating at about 100ml a day now, rather than 20ml a day.

Update 1-28

Both dishes are very sticky now, like syrup and molasses. I removed 100ml of the 70% to run some experiments. I will explain if anyone wants to know about it, or if it becomes relevant. The 92% is in the petri dish, it is a dark mahogany color, molasses consistency. The 70% is full of gunk, and I can't really filter it anymore. I tried to wash it with 20ml of 92% alcohol, but the precipitate doesn't dissolve. Also the 92% has a very strong odor. Not like mushroom perfume anymore, more like a strong urine smell. I can smell it when I walk into the room. The 92% is currently in my dessication tub until it dries completely.

Edited by blahblahblah (01/28/09 04:07 PM)

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Sillicybin]
    #9645239 - 01/20/09 01:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I did boil the first extracts to reduce the liquid. I think that was the problem. I have done two now, not including the one in progress. Both failed and I think the problem was heat.

I tried an extract with fresh mushrooms and the alcohol turned a very dark blue, almost black. I heated it to reduce it, and the color of the liquid turned from blue to purple. I thought it was because I added lime juice and that it finally got to a point where the vitamin c started working. Tested it and nothing happened. I also boiled the dry extract and it went from a yellow color to a light purple. It was mildly active. Both were boiled at 70c-80c. This current extraction hasn't had any heat involved. It is still bluing, but no purple and the precipitate started very quickly this time. (could be because I am using 2x the mushrooms) Anyway... lets see how it goes.

Offlineikkes
very sad

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: blahblahblah]
    #9646619 - 01/20/09 05:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

never noticed the extract thread over here...

so it is a repost but from another thread, here's my extraction experience

50g of cubes (dry) (so max of 10 portions)
0.5liter of pure ethanol 250ml for extracting and 250ml to rinse
50ml of water (just in case if there are some water solving actives in there)

grind the shrooms, extract with 250ml of ethanol and 50ml water for 72 hours stir several times a day.

rinse with the other 250ml of ethanol and run the extract over coffee filters until it's a clear liquid, then over a surgical mask.

to evaporate I ended up using a blow dryer... works fine and the extract didn't get to hot, maybe not the safest way .

result 100ml of extract.... assuming most of the ethanol evaporated and the water didn't it's a 50% alcohol containing extract, this could be stored in the freezer as it will not freeze shut that easily, some liquors containing 20% will not even freeze.
Shelf life I didn't test, that is for my next attempt (with and without water comparison)
Potency.... OK

--------------------
..........3 Tage wach..........
:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:
jetzt wirst du langsam schwach

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#9646659 - 01/20/09 06:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Here's a bunch of ideas to consider. Obviously I've never done this, but these may/may not help you in any means.

Maybe it was your soaking period? Possibly while the shroom sludge is inside the flask after soaking/shaking for maybe 12 hours, try freezing the contents(the alcohol won't freeze but the shroom sludge will). Then allow it to thaw/sit for another 12 hours. This would help break down the cell walls from the chemicals(in theory).

Heating isn't a good idea, patience is always a virtue in extractions,(as I'm sure you know).

So none of those crystals on the walls of your evap dish were active? Maybe try putting some duck-tap on the bottom & sides of your evap dish so there is less light going in, I've heard light can break down sensitive chems. and evaporating with a fan or perhaps a ghetto kitty litter desiccant tek?

Anyone know if you can get everclear in PA?

Edited by smaerd (01/20/09 06:06 PM)

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: smaerd]
    #9646698 - 01/20/09 06:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Patience is a virtue. Most of the things I am trying I have read about in other threads. The pictures above are of a current extract. The previous extracts were failed attempts just to clarify. This seems to be working. Hope no one minds me hijacking this thread. I just thought it was better to continue this rather than start another discussion on extraction.

Offlinesmaerd
 User Gallery

#9646723 - 01/20/09 06:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ohhh! so the one you listed with pictures was a working method?
score, lemme know how the 70% ethanol one worked out.

I don't think you thread jacked in fact, I think you added some more success to it.

OfflineUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#9650385 - 01/21/09 07:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ahh the old extraction thread, Its been a while my friend.

I like your side by side comparison of the effect of different ratios of solvents, whats better than reading about something,,experimenting.:nerd:
Nicely pictorialised procedure also.:thumbup::thumbup:

Its quite interesting that you posted this as my mad scientist friend is in the process of doing an alcohol extraction after a long while of not doing any type of these type of experiments, and also that white crystalline layer is sitting on top of the evaporating alcohol. In fact I think I some pictures would be in order.

Hmm:strokebeard:

Give me a minute

--------------------
:dna::dna:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies