Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #547737 - 02/11/02 12:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I totally agree, I like finding new and foreign foods all the time. My latest favorite is ginger. I can buy fresh ginger here. It looks like little kiwi, except it has a white miliky center. I add about 3 whole gingers to any stir fry and rice dish. I feel high as shit, after eating of. Do you have any favorite vegatables?

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineJeff17
Stranger
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: nugsarenice]
    #547752 - 02/11/02 12:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's awesome that you guys are vegetarian, and it's awesome that their hasn't been one negative post to this topic so far.

My problem is that my parents will always make some kind of meat food, and i'm really hungry sometimes so I cant resist. But I am going to start being a vegetarian from now on, all I hear is good things about it as far as physical and mental health goes.

=)

Jeff

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Jeff17]
    #547764 - 02/11/02 12:42 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have only been a vegatarian for about 2 years, there is a brief meat withdrawel symptom, but it is not hard to overcome if you have plenty of pistachious and peanuts, my new year resolution is to never eat any of these foods again, . The only thing is that with vegatariasm you have to be very creative, otherwise you will be malnurished.
My diet consists of basically fruits and oatmeal for breakfast.
Rice and spicy vegatables for lunch.
Nuts and spicy pototoes for snacks.
Anybody else have any good vegatarian meals?

InvisiblePsilocyberSpace
addict

Loc: Being
    #547770 - 02/11/02 12:52 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thats a questoin I always wondered, maybe a website with some recipes? I eat alot of nuts, rice, fruit, steamed and grilled veggies but I still eat meat a few times a week, I'm really far to short on recipe ideas to make the full step to becoming a vegetarian, I don't have enough nutritionist knowledge to make sure I'd stay healthy either. Maybe someday..

--------------------
Ours is not a better way, ours is merely another way.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: PsilocyberSpace]
    #547797 - 02/11/02 01:14 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

This dish is a staple, I highly reccomend.
Get a wide deep pan, and start to fry japanese and american potatoes, in vegatable oil until they are fairly cooked, about 7 minutes. Then add garbonzo beans and any other tasty beans, red white and yellow onions, scallions, and add hot pepper sauce, parsley, oregeno, lot's of garlic, black pepper, hot red pepper, green peppers, fry like this, then add lettuce and spinach, green beans, peas, and ginger, wax beans, fry until all of this is good and pasty. I say like 10 minutes. Mix with cooked rice at a ratio of 3 (paste):1 (rice) mix. Very good.

InvisiblePsilocyberSpace
addict

Loc: Being
    #547893 - 02/11/02 02:55 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks !
I'll have to give that a whirl one of these days after I go to the grocery store.

--------------------
Ours is not a better way, ours is merely another way.

Anonymous

#547963 - 02/11/02 03:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I can stop eating meat...but I will never stop eating cheese!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: PsilocyberSpace]
    #547964 - 02/11/02 03:54 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

There are several really good vegetarian cook books out there. I have made meals before that meat eaters had no idea were vegetarian. You gotta love the look on their face when they realize, "I ate tofu?!" or some such. If you are still eating meat, but want to stop, then slowly cut it from your diet. Only eat meat every other day, and no more red meat. Then every third day, but only fish. Then ... you get the idea. Also, don't ignore those cravings. When you would kill for a cheeseburger its your body telling you that it needs something that you aren't giving it. Rather than break down and getting the burger, try to eat something else and see if that fixes the craving or not. For me it was dill pickles that solved the burger cravings.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineazzid
Neuro Engineer
Loc: Sydney AUS
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Seuss]
    #550427 - 02/13/02 08:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys,
just wanted to mention in regards to ginger, it is a very powerful healing and energising plant, but it's even more effective when cooked in combination with garlic and onions (which are both great in their own right also). There is some sort of synergistic effect when they are together... and yes I'm a vego too =)
Regards,
Azzid.

--------------------
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of shrooms" - All posts are fictional - Read at your own risk

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: azzid]
    #550619 - 02/13/02 11:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone ever eat crackers and grape sandwiches? Grapes and salt is good.

Offlinewintertime
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: raytrace]
    #550931 - 02/14/02 07:59 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

William Blake wasn't vegetarian. He just believed that things should be killed for a reason, like most of you who have been saying that killing and eating your own food is acceptable.
(don't mean to bring you up on it, he's commonly used in pro-vegetarian examples, albeit somewhat incorrectly)

Anyway.. :smile: I went through a brief period where I just couldn't bring myself to eat meat. I thought hard and deeply about what I was actually doing, and the conclusion I came to somewhat echoes a few people here. I found I agreed with Blake, if you arn't just killing animals for fun or sport, but to actually survive from, then it is fine. They do contain excellent sources of proteins, but too much red meat can be bad for you. I limit myself to what I feel I need, and I don't really feel the urge for red meat very often. I prefer the taste of vegetarian meals compared to others, but I don't mind eating meat should there be little choice.

We are really made to eat meat, we have canine teeth which are made for ripping meat, but its a matter of the quality of meat you are eating too. Too often I used to eat shitty processed meats that use low quality meat, less nutrition and taste.

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: wintertime]
    #550957 - 02/14/02 08:37 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I have recently turned vegetarian (buddhist also) due to my experiences with the mushroom. I don't miss meat at all. I hardly ate red meat much anyway but did consume alot of fish, but there is a veritable wealth of goodness to be found in the plant world and it's not expensive, unless of course you're looking live of ready made veggie meals which is just boring.
Chesse is fine as long as it's veggie so no animal coagulant (rennet). Unless youre vegan of course.
The only problem I have is with multi-vitamins being as thier usually encased in gelatin or some other by product.

Oh and I think I'm gonna have to be the one to make the first bitch in this post. I created a post called Fav veggie recipies (or something like that) in the OTD and it fell like bomb! You bastards made me have to get of my arse and buy a dodgy vegetarian cookbook, WHERE'S THE LOVE MAAAAAaaan:mad: :wink: 

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

OfflineArCh_TemPlaR
enthusiast
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #551725 - 02/14/02 09:07 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, a question:

Does anyone know how to prepare raw foods? Sprouting time? Soaking time? Rinsing? I'm clueless.

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: ArCh_TemPlaR]
    #554079 - 02/17/02 02:15 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

We are Herbivorous, therefore meat is bad for us. it gets cloged in our intestines thus causing cancer. Meat from the meat industry is even worst for us since it contains antibodies and harmones, which in turn goes into our bodys, thus causing cancer. Try your teeth out on some raw hide and see how well your teeth perform. If humans were designed to eat meat, we wouldin't have to cook it.
It's bad enough as it is on our systems, just imagine if you ate it raw. Our teeth are more designed for eating fibrous foods that are naturally softer and easier on the system. And our canines are more designed for tearing skins off of fruits and veggies, I mean really, look at carnivorous baboons which are similar in size in relation to us, they have huge canines, why? duh cause thier teeth were designed for tearing meat. The proof that we're not meant to eat meat is very simple; Stop eating meat and you'll feel better.

And on diet, I personally eat very plainly which turns out nice because instead of going out and getting some junk food I'll instead maybe have some seasoned potatos or some chilli. Eating plain food tastes alot better too when you can actually tatse it, It's because of all this flavored junk food out there that makes our taste buds dull, I mean there's nothing like a nice jucy peach when you can taste it to the fullest.

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: emptyvessel]
    #554208 - 02/17/02 06:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

>We are herbivorous, therefore meat is bad for us

Depends what you mean by "us". For most of our history ("our" meaning the genus Homo, not the species sapiens), we have indeed been predominantly vegetarian. Many scientists now believe that had we carried on down this road, we never could have evolved to the extent we have. This is because digesting vegetable matter takes a tremendous amount of energy. We never would have been able to evolve our high-functioning brains (something like 80% of the bodies energy goes into supporting the brain) if all that energy had been occupied with digesting nuts and legumes.

Our teeth are actually pretty well-adapted for chewing both meat and plant matter.

And in case you think I'm just another evil carnivore, I'll add that I haven't eaten animal flesh for atleast a decade. My point is, it's a personal decision to become vegetarian. You shouldn't base it on some vague idea of evolutionary superioty, but rather on how you believe other life on the planet should be treated.

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Pynchon]
    #554924 - 02/18/02 01:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sorry did I say that meat eaters were evil? I don't have a problem with people eating meat. I do have a problem though with people supporting the meat industry when it's clear as day whats happening in those places. If you eat meat and yet say you care and love animals thats just like saying, 'I love you mom' while stabbing her in the back and spitting on her face. What do you expect though, our culture is insane it countless ways, we're so entangled in this corporate millitray bullshit it seems theres no way out, shit I probably buy products from coporations that own cattle ranches. So go for it! eat meat! support the daily genocide, kill my fellow brothers and sisters, I used to do it to, so hell I guess I'm just a judgemental hypocrite. Why the fuck do I insist on trying to change people...I don't know... it's hopeless. I'm insane, what do you expect?. sigh

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: emptyvessel]
    #555049 - 02/18/02 05:54 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I know you never said meat-eaters were evil...I was joking. Do I really need to use one of those bloody smilies when I say something tongue-in-cheek?

Settle down, I agree with you (about the meat industry).

Offlineiangato
enthusiast
Loc: maine, USAma
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: raytrace]
    #557272 - 02/20/02 10:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i love meat. eating meat is natural. other animals do it too. they didn't learn it from us. also, i don't eat any fruits or veggies besides, corn and potatoes and i'm in very good health. i don't have anything against vegitarians or vegans though. i give you guys and gals mad props. i should i feel ashamed to eat meat? plants are living things too. who cares about the rights of plants? i do. i also care about the the rights of animals and my right to eat them. adios. peace.

--------------------
a blurry dot dances among the shadows
bends the light
and fizzles into my pink and glowing mind

-ian gato

OfflineMyceliumcake
addicted to weed
Loc: Flint, Michigan
Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #557285 - 02/20/02 10:46 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

People had a lot to say on this issue, and it can be hard to follow for me if you do not put some space in between those huge blocks of text.
So I did not read everyones posts.

But my oppinion on meat is the following: meat is ok to eat.
America consumes way way to much meat.
Red meat especially should be consumed in much moderation.
I could eat fish all day everyday.
To continue in detail would be a repeat of an argument I have made many times before.
So I will let you all do your own research.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: vegetarianism - dietary practices [Re: Myceliumcake]
    #557490 - 02/20/02 03:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

would you eat a monkey?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale