Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Our Local Neighborhood
    #547510 - 02/11/02 04:19 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The Saturn Family

The Jupiter Family

Earth (I want to visit this place)

Earth's Moon

Cygnus

Orion

Perseus

Pleiades

Our Galaxy

Andromeda Galaxy (Closest Galaxy to the Milky Way)

Where do YOU want to go?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: ]
    #547512 - 02/11/02 04:32 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The next time you are feeling superior (or inferior for that matter)... just remember where you are

Edited by Shroomism (02/11/02 04:46 AM)

Anonymous

#547513 - 02/11/02 04:33 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

There is no way there's intelligent life in that galaxy. I mean if there were we would have seen it by now right?

Anonymous

#547514 - 02/11/02 04:37 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Well what the hell do you know?
You're just a mortal human

Anonymous

#547515 - 02/11/02 04:38 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Shut up you

Anonymous

#547518 - 02/11/02 04:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry...

Mortal

OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
    #547519 - 02/11/02 04:48 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Why should we have already seen intellegent life? I imagine the entire universe was created at the same time, therefore our planet and life on our planet is as old if not older than that on other planets. So who is to say that intellegent life has to mean more intellegent than humans. For all I or anybody else knows we could be the most intellegent/advanced organisms in the universe.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

Anonymous

Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: CuckoosNest]
    #547521 - 02/11/02 04:50 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Who says life on Earth is intelligent?

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #547668 - 02/11/02 09:13 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

the universe was created at the same time, but new planets, stars and galaxies are created constantly. compare the earth and the suns age to the age of the universe, we're just babies... course there could be stars, planets, Life out there Much older than us. But, then again, they could also be single cell organisms too.. or high tech 4th density STO humanoids. endless possibilities in an endless universe.
_ry_

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #547671 - 02/11/02 09:15 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

In reply to:

Shut up you

This is a direct flame.  Mod's are supposed to know better then to flame...themselves?

:cool:

--------------------

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: Blastrid]
    #547679 - 02/11/02 09:26 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Excuse me if im incorrect, but as far as scientists know, the universe is 15 billion years old, and our planet (and sun?)around 4 billion...so were not that young

Considering this, maybe we are one of the most advanced creatures in this universe, right now.

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (02/11/02 09:30 AM)

OfflineSurf Bum
    #547680 - 02/11/02 09:28 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

in the picture of saturn family the moon on the left has a huge crack in it, or it seems, thats weird huh?

--------------------

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #547691 - 02/11/02 09:38 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The universe is supposedly 12-15 billion years old. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. In the beginning there was just hydrogen and helium, but within the interiors of stars and in their supernova explosions heavier elements were created. Therefore, it is unlikely that a planet would form significantly older than the Earth because several generations of stars are needed to form the heavier elements that constitute planets and life on those planets (such as carbon, nitrogen, and iron). Perhaps there could be planets at most a billion or two years older than we are, which, although relatively small in terms of the age of the universe, is still a vast amount of time for intelligent life to evolve.

Given the fact that "intelligent" life evolved on Earth from common animals over the course of just a few million years, it is not unreasonable to assume that life much further along exists on other planets. The rise of intelligent life depends a lot less on sheer time to evolve and more on a chance occurence or a convergence of factors. If things had been slightly different, intelligent life could have evolved from dinosaurs or something hundreds of millions of years ago. If everything converged correctly in the past, intelligent life could have existed for billions and billions of years, and we are just the latest addition.

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #547741 - 02/11/02 10:26 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The coolest thing happened to me over the last couple of days.... I experienced my limits!!!!!!

I always juggled everything thrown at me and recently dropped the ball on everything! I'm so excited, its incredible!

I was so good at dealing with everything in life I felt infinite...
Suddenly I was faced with the fact that I have limits, boundaries, and if I am contained---not matter how much I interact with other beings, I will still be myself---I will not go out of existence!!!!!

If you have experienced this-then you know what I mean...
If not, I sound like a mad man,,, but hey, I like being a mad man....

OfflineDr_Stupid
Angel of theAbyss

Loc: NYC
Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #547949 - 02/11/02 01:46 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

"The universe is supposedly 12-15 billion years old. The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. In the beginning there was just hydrogen and helium,                        " 

and small amounts of lithium, beryllium and boron, but who's counting?:tongue:

"...but within the interiors of stars and in their supernova explosions heavier
elements were created. Therefore, it is unlikely that a planet would form significantly older than the Earth because several generations of stars are needed to form the heavier elements that constitute planets and life on those planets (such as carbon, nitrogen, and iron). Perhaps there could be planets at most a billion or two years older than we are, which, although relatively small in terms of the age of the universe, is still a vast amount of time for intelligent life to evolve. "

There is some interesting theoretical work being done which suggests that not only is there a "life zone" around a star where water is in its liquid phase, but also that there are zones in a galaxy itself where the balance of heavier elements and ionizing radiation ((as you can imagine, areas where there is a higher abundance of metals (everything above boron) is also an area where there would be more ionizing radiation from the concomitant type 1 supernovae)) is just so to enable complex, self replicating molecules to form.  This would, as you can imagine, drastically cut into the Drake equation for intelligence in the universe by adding am substantial divisive factor into the equation - that being said, i'm a firm believer that we could not possibly be the only intelligence in the vastness of space...

Sorry, I ted to ramble when I start going on about astrophysics...:)

--------------------
FNORD

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: Dr_Stupid]
    #547990 - 02/11/02 02:10 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

This isn't my view, but comes from a debate I had with a close friend several years ago. He was claiming that the "universe" is just a backdrop... the walls of the petri dish as it were and that we/earth was the experiment at the center of the dish.

On a different note, in recent years the theories about dark matter and how much of it there is really paint a new picture. If the theories are correct, then only something like 15-20% (made up numbers, no ref available, but it was a very small ammount) of the universe is made of matter like ours. The rest is this mysterious dark matter. ... and people wonder where the elf world is.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: Seuss]
    #548044 - 02/11/02 03:02 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The only FACT here is that we actually do not KNOW what elements were around at the time of creation. No scientist could produce a complex enough study to determine this.....EVER! Why do we have to know everything? Time will tell!

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: Our Local Neighborhood [Re: MentalHygene]
    #548050 - 02/11/02 03:08 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Also...... What do you describe as intelligent life? I think an intelligent society is one that could find its rightfull place on its planet, not destroy the air and water, not exaust every natural resource available, and not put its particular species above ANY other species that it shares it's domain with. So because we are about to extinguish our own lives, I would venture to say that we aren't as smart as we think!

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

Anonymous

#548063 - 02/11/02 03:16 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Exactly.
If we were as intelligent as we would like to think we are, there would not be war, or the war on drugs, or nuclear weapons, or a thousand other things.
We need to accept that we are not the most evolved beings in this Universe, but we are well on our way just like everyone else.
This arrogant stance that humans are alone or are the only evolved intelligent species in the Universe is rediculous. I think I'm going to purge

OfflineDr_Stupid
Angel of theAbyss

Loc: NYC
    #548079 - 02/11/02 03:28 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

"The only FACT here is that we actually do not KNOW what elements were around at the time of creation. "

Interesting, but sadly mistaken...:sad: - prevailing astrophysical wisdom refutes the above statement, but I am not looking to get into a metaphysical or spiritual argument...:) 

--------------------
FNORD

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom