Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineebass
Stranger
 User Gallery

whadya guys think
    #5473474 - 04/03/06 03:37 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I have 9 nicely colonizing quart jars of wbs. Each one is about 4/5 full. 3 B+, 3 equador, and 3 PESA. Under optimal conditions (which I know will not happen my first time) how many shrooms can this possibly yield (dry weight)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
Re: whadya guys think [Re: ebass]
    #5473529 - 04/03/06 04:08 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

4 safty sake or added security dont mix the strains and spawn them to horse manure and hell u could get pounds :P of corse many say it dosnt mater if u mix the strains...

Offlineebass
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: whadya guys think [Re: ZEPH]
    #5473554 - 04/03/06 04:42 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Zeph,
It seems you are newb friendly :smile: 
Thanks.
Let me ask you another question, if you will...

Why can't you use the same material for both initial colonization (in jars) and casing.  So the spores germinate and then colonize the wbs.  After colonization i will add this stuff to a tray with coco and vermiculite.  What is the casing layer's purpose?  Why can't I use more wbs as a casing layer?  Why can't I use coco to colonize inside the jar and then case with coco.
I feel like an idiot that I have gone this far and don't really know this.  Maybe the the primordia cannot pop through the wbs because it's too dense? 
I've also seen pics where people have spawned with crushed peanut shells.  Must the casing have nutrients?

Sorry I am all over the place...no sleep...coming down from a very enjoyable morning glory trip.

Offlinecupevampe
The Lunatic isin My Head
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: whadya guys think [Re: ZEPH]
    #5473562 - 04/03/06 04:47 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ZEPH said:
4 safty sake or added security dont mix the strains and spawn them to horse manure and hell u could get pounds :P of corse many say it dosnt mater if u mix the strains...

I think it matters if you mix strains
What you might want to do just for fun, is a 2 flavours case.
Cjeck out my pics here:

In the same casing, on the left I had some Creepers rye substrate, on the right B+ substrate.
As you can see they got along just fine. I have to say though that the yield seemed somehow less than expected.

I think that, if all of your jars are fine and uncontaminated, you will be able to get out quite a lot of shrooms... I recently setup a couple of casings, each with a a pint of colonized substrate (creepers strain)>
I made a few mistakes, and however in the end i got 20grams of dried material.
Have fun

--------------------
My Blog: The Invisible Landscape

Subscribe this great podcast! www.matrixmasters.com/podcasts

No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

PS: sorry 4 my english - i'm italian *-*-* i do my best!

Edited by cupevampe (04/03/06 04:47 AM)

Offlinecupevampe
The Lunatic isin My Head
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: whadya guys think [Re: ebass]
    #5473568 - 04/03/06 04:51 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ebass said:
Why can't you use the same material for both initial colonization (in jars) and casing. So the spores germinate and then colonize the wbs. After colonization i will add this stuff to a tray with coco and vermiculite. What is the casing layer's purpose? Why can't I use more wbs as a casing layer? Why can't I use coco to colonize inside the jar and then case with coco.
I feel like an idiot that I have gone this far and don't really know this. Maybe the the primordia cannot pop through the wbs because it's too dense?
I've also seen pics where people have spawned with crushed peanut shells. Must the casing have nutrients?

Sorry I am all over the place...no sleep...coming down from a very enjoyable morning glory trip.

In a few words,
you need rye or WBS to colonize because the mycelium (the white stuff) needs nutrition, and rye or WBS have plenty of nutrition for your mycelium.
The purpose of the casing is mainly protection for the substrate.
It is good if it has no nutrition to keep away evil stuff
That's why you want to use vermiculite+coco coir.

Hope i was clear and right - i am just a bit more than a newbie myself

--------------------
My Blog: The Invisible Landscape

Subscribe this great podcast! www.matrixmasters.com/podcasts

No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

PS: sorry 4 my english - i'm italian *-*-* i do my best!

Offlineebass
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: whadya guys think [Re: cupevampe]
    #5473682 - 04/03/06 06:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

clear as can be. thanks!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: whadya guys think [Re: cupevampe]
    #5474244 - 04/03/06 11:28 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

cupevampe said:
Quote:

ebass said:
Why can't you use the same material for both initial colonization (in jars) and casing.  So the spores germinate and then colonize the wbs.  After colonization i will add this stuff to a tray with coco and vermiculite.  What is the casing layer's purpose?  Why can't I use more wbs as a casing layer?  Why can't I use coco to colonize inside the jar and then case with coco.
I feel like an idiot that I have gone this far and don't really know this.  Maybe the the primordia cannot pop through the wbs because it's too dense? 
I've also seen pics where people have spawned with crushed peanut shells.  Must the casing have nutrients?

In a few words,
you need rye or WBS to colonize because the mycelium (the white stuff) needs nutrition, and rye or WBS have plenty of nutrition for your mycelium.
The purpose of the casing is mainly protection for the substrate.
It is good if it has no nutrition to keep away evil stuff
That's why you want to use vermiculite+coco coir.

Hope i was clear and right - i am just a bit more than a newbie myself

Actually coir is quite nutritious, peat based casings would be a better choice. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlineebass
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: whadya guys think [Re: hyphae]
    #5474304 - 04/03/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

hmmm...i already have the coir. 50/50 casing tek right? Damn I don't want to look for lime.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag