Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5475336 - 04/03/06 04:10 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
It has been stated that, unless you understand the underlying mathematics of quantam mechanics, you don't really have much comprehension of what quantam mechanics is. Any way of describing quantam mechanics without the accompanying mathematics is more in line with metaphors to convey general notions.

I think this thread was meant to discuss the interpretations of Quantum mechanics, not mathematics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretat...retations_of_QM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5475885 - 04/03/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quantum Mechanics to me means... That the universe is so fucking complex, and reality is so fucking complex in itself that one could possibly ever see or understand reality or the existence of it. It fuckin' blows my mind.

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you *DELETED* [Re: yewhew]
    #5478239 - 04/04/06 07:53 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: Lakefingers]
    #5478277 - 04/04/06 08:13 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Can you explain me why you call quantum theory a lie?

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you *DELETED* [Re: Annom]
    #5478316 - 04/04/06 08:31 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5478415 - 04/04/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

It is a model that can predict reality(=the universe as we observe it) very accurate. There are no Truths in science, that would make it a religion.

I would not call it a lie though, because it does not claim to be the Truth: it's a theory.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5478992 - 04/04/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quantum mechanics, useful or instrumental in certain certain economies of thinking, is not able to transcend the world it has created -- although its purpose is to do so.

God hasn't transcended the world he supposedly created!

If one person started off asking "what is that?", and were answered with "It is a rock", and infinitely asked "what is that?" or "why is that?", you would end somewhere very close to Quantum Mechanics/Physics.
We have found a point in which the only thing that is known about a phenomenon, is that it cant be entirely known/perceived rationally.

Everything is a lie until you fully grasp and understand it on your own.

InvisibleLakefingers
    #5481461 - 04/05/06 01:46 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Lakefingers (04/05/06 01:59 AM)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5481567 - 04/05/06 03:41 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

It predicts a reality that it presupposes. It is good at predicting that reality because it has created that reality and presupposes it. It has been formed within a structure of thought that gives it that reality a priori.

So you say that if we see an interference pattern of light on a wall created by a laser and two slits, we see that because quantum theory creates it?

And that we have build microsprocessors because quantum mechanics created transistors in our reality?

Quote:

You, being a romantic of, almost Popperian, scientific ideals, like to remind us of what-science-should-be/"really"-is; I prefer to remind us of the social context, linguistic prerequisites and ontological presuppositions of science. This is to say, my argument is about the practice of science; your counter-argument is about an interpretation of its ideology -- your counter-argument has no relevant bearing on my argument.

The practice of quantum mechanics is not done by the general public. Most people can't explain what science is. They just know it creates computers and TV's.

Quote:

Theories are lies. They cannot be true (extensively they are reductive, incomplete, obfuscating...), yet they are used and interpreted as if they were truths. This is the lie -- the necessary lie. Let the lies flourish, but let us not forget that they are lies.

Quantum theory can be used as true in a practical way because it is so accurate and broad. I agree that the general public has a "wrong" idea about science and that you can call it a lie from that point of view.

Is it a lie that the moon causes the tides?

InvisibleLakefingers
    #5485321 - 04/06/06 01:11 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Reason for deletion: "

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: Fospher]
    #5485457 - 04/06/06 04:52 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
Pay attention to my first response to psilocyberin, and you'll see that it's not one of anger, but of complete indifference. He chose to carry on the discussion, so I just showed him his own flaw with his own words. If you dont want to discuss it, then stop posting.

A. Didn't say that I didn't want to discuss it.

B. Gave advice on how not to discuss it.

C. I'm not discussing it, you are. :tongue:

:smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5485466 - 04/06/06 05:02 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
I think this thread was meant to discuss the interpretations of Quantum mechanics, not mathematics.

This thread posed the question "What quantam mechanics means to you?" The resulting discussion, thusforth, has been centered around general discussions about quantam mechanics.

Personally, I do not know much about quantam mechanics. I have read a bit into it, and do not recall most of what I read. :grin: I did remember a statement that revolved around the notion that understandings of quantam mechanics without understanding the underlying mathematics involved are like metaphors that allude to the concepts, so I offered that perspective to be included in the mix. :wink:

I'm not sure where you will draw a line between interpretations of quantam mechanics and mathematics, so I'm sure your statement that mathematics is not to be discussed is wrong. :lol: 

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5485474 - 04/06/06 05:20 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Yes. In this instance quantum theory presupposes many concepts and things which are a priori for, and embedded in, a non-scientific, non-objective linguistic/thought scheme. Such things are "light", "walls", "lasers", "slits", "we", "see", "by"; in addition the language you are using, or the language Qm uses is entirely rife with metaphor; your words don't denote real things -- they only refer, and/or are, the ideas which they are. They are in fact not real.

I'm not an objectivist and I do not say that our observations are really out there. That doesn't mean that by naming our (subjective) observations, we create reality. Our observations create reality.

So I do agree with the fact that we can't be sure if they are real. But it is not science to deal with that. Science is about the world we observer/perceive. I call this observed world reality. So reality is not the truth in my definition.

Light is the name for something we observe. It doesn't say whether it is really there or not. Science tries to make the most objective (subjective)observations as possible and tries explain and predict these observations using the scientific method.

Quote:

Who are Shroomery users then, if not the general public? Quantum theory is bigger here, and at most "philosophy" forums, than New Age.

Internet people who like to ask the why question. The Shroomery users are not the general public. The Shroomery members in this forum are not at all average people. I'm not saying they are better or worse, but they sure are not the general public.

This is irrelevant for the discussion though....

Quote:

Does one need to explain what science is in order to understand it? Why don't you tell me what science is, so then we have a definition to go by.

Science is the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena using the scientific method. Science tries to create models of the world we observe(=reality for me) using a system that tries to be as objective as possible.

Philosophy Of science explains that its purpose is to explain everything we perceive around us in as concise and formal a manner as possible.

"According to the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), a scientific theory is 'a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.' No amount of validation changes a theory into a law, which is a descriptive generalization about nature. So when scientists talk about the theory of evolution--or the atomic theory or the theory of relativity, for that matter--they are not expressing reservations about its truth. " - http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=...umber=1&catID=2

Quote:

What is accuracy and broadness? My hands are quite accurate and broad, they are practical. This computer screen is quite broad, it's accurate and its practical. My hand and the computer screen are however almost useless for thinking up poetry, digesting fruit and thinking about...quantum mechanics.

That is a good question I can't easily answer. But if we can create a computer using a model of reality(the world we observe) then I would say that model is accurate.

Quote:

I think you're still misunderstanding my use of the word "lie". It's not threatening to you in that way -- yet it is certainly a threat.

Please explain to me why it is a threat.

Quote:

It's a lie that the moon causes the tides and it's a lie that A causes B.

We again have a different definition of a word. I agree that it is just a model of what happens, but I would not call that a lie.

I do understand your point and I do agree with it in some way. I just think that I prefer to use reality as the world we observe it because I like to use logic and can't use logic when I don't assume a objective reality(while I don't say this assumption is correct).

You prefer to look at reality as something we can't never be sure about. I agree with that, but don't like it because I can end all my logic thoughts with that.

Science is nothing more than a fairy tale, but a very nice one that is way better than any other fairy tale I've ever read  :grin:

Fairy tales are not lies because they don't claim it is the Truth!

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #5487879 - 04/06/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quantum mechanics, like most great lies, is practiced and interpreted by those oblivious enough to think that it can describe a non-existent reality. Quantum mechanics, through quantum-level description, has created reality; the believers of quantum mechanics fall for the confabulation and think these lies are objectively present.

I find it funny that you're able to say this using a machine that would not exist were it not for the insights given us by QM.

I call it a lie because it is not True

So, our success at inventing the transistor, the atomic power reactor, the medical MRI scanner, and the microwave oven are all based on a lie, something untrue. The same for our understanding of why insulin helps diabetics and why milk curdles, also based on a lie.

An untruth that, by some astonishing coincidence, nevertheless manages to explain observations and accurately predict the outcome of experiments better than any other endeavor in human history.

By coincidence... despite it being a lie?

Alright... I suppose you think the Earth if flat too, eh? :rofl2:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (04/06/06 09:05 PM)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: Diploid]
    #5488946 - 04/07/06 04:15 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Everything is a lie when you consider the world as we perceive it a lie. Makes no practical sense to me.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: yewhew]
    #5489137 - 04/07/06 07:35 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I think, perceivable reality is a good representation of what we could define as 'truth' :wink:
If it matters that quantumspace is organised differently than the space that we inhibit and perceive, I am very indifferent about.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5489205 - 04/07/06 08:24 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Also, that is one thing that always fucked me up in regards to QM.... quantum spin. I never could grasp how one full rotation is actually 1 and a half 360's.

im not actually sure what that means

but im pretty positive quantum spin isnt actually the electron spinning around

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: Annom]
    #5489843 - 04/07/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Annom said:
Everything is a lie when you consider the world as we perceive it a lie. Makes no practical sense to me.

Remember the other half of the bargain? That this statement seems almost to be a tautology in that sense, but it is only a reminder to keep us from stupidity?

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you *DELETED* [Re: Diploid]
    #5489889 - 04/07/06 12:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

InvisibleLakefingers
    #5489932 - 04/07/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Reason for deletion: "

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder