Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChronicBarry
Willy Wonka'sIntern

Loc: Bat Country
So I just got this dehydrator...
    #5465080 - 03/31/06 06:30 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

It's a Ronco fan-less food dehydrator with 4 trays. Bought it off eBay for only 27 bills. I've been reading posts upon posts about dehydrators and heat issues. Well I've only got a few drying and I put them on the top rack so they're away from the heat coil at the bottom.

I decided to get all Macgyver on it and rigged up a fan to the dehydrator. Basically, I have the dehydrator hoisted up 8 or so inches off the floor and a 4" personal desk fan underneath. Obviously the fan is blowing upwards to create a type of convection.

Like I said, the batch I'm drying is small. They're from BRF cakes so the shrooms are drying real fast. This little setup seems to work so far, what do you guys think? I'm trying to minimize the heat, just because they're some skeptics that believe heat will reduce potency. If I can find the charger to my digi, I'll post pics.

--------------------
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: ChronicBarry]
    #5465088 - 03/31/06 06:33 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

any heat under 350 wont reduce potency. psilocin i believe it is has a melting temp of 360 i believe it was and psilocybin somewhere in the range of 400 degrees.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinemogur
regnartS

Loc: Puget Sound
Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: stelthvue]
    #5465199 - 03/31/06 07:12 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

No studies that I have ever seen can definitely pinpoint the temperature that either psilocin or psilocybin are degraded. The reason is that it is the oxidation, especially that of psilocin, that is the most likely cause of potency loss. Oxidation, is a chemical process that involves a lot of variables, including temperature, pressure, time, catalysts, and many other parameters. To quote the melting temperature of a chemical is to say very little about the degradation process of that chemical. Ice will melt and then return to it's previous state with a simple change of temperature.

There is also those in this hobby that constantly reiterate that any temperature above room temp is seriously degrading. These claims seem to me, at least, a little mythical. Actual experiments that explore the temperature of dehydrators in relation to potency are fairly rare, but the ones that I have seen tend to claim little to no loss under 150-160F. Sun drying is often reported to be very harmful, so the culprit there may be the intense light (maybe UV-c or shorter).

I think it is at least safe to say that boiling temps for under a half hour, and dehydrator temps under 150F do not noticeably degrade the actives. Heat for extended periods of time and possibly light of high intensity are to be avoided for long term storage, but I think it's better for potency to use moderate heat to shorten the drying process.

OfflineBPJohnny
Stranger
Male

Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: mogur]
    #5465280 - 03/31/06 07:37 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

all of my resources say that temperatures over 110F should be avoided take it for what its worth but the way i see it is you can certainly dry them effectively at 110F and you aren't risking loss of any psilocybin content.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: ChronicBarry]
    #5465283 - 03/31/06 07:39 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

You should have bought a NESCO.

There is a stack (5 or 6)of those Ronco's at the local thrift store.
They cannot even give away. :eek:

I would have taken them, just for the trays.
Except, the will not interchange with a NESCO.

--------------------

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: agar]
    #5465306 - 03/31/06 07:48 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5437976

melting points of psilocybin and psilocin

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinetime2
Stranger
    #5465317 - 03/31/06 07:51 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

yeah I doubt a dehydrator will affect potency... but whatever makes you more comfortable.

OfflineChronicBarry
Willy Wonka'sIntern

Loc: Bat Country
    #5465325 - 03/31/06 07:54 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Honestly, I would have gotten that Nesco from Walmart but it's like 45 plus tax and I found this one for half the price. Either way, i don't think the temps in my dehydrator get any higher than 150, especially since i got that fan blowing now.

--------------------
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky...

OfflineBPJohnny
Stranger
Male

#5465327 - 03/31/06 07:55 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

well there is obviously a huge debate on the subject so for me better safe than sorry

"The primary active ingredients of Psilocybe mushrooms are psilocybin and psilocin, and to a lesser extent baeocystin and norbaeocystin. The ratio of psilocybin to psilocin varies from species to species. The primary difference is that psilocin is unstable and it breaks down when the mushroom is dried, while psilocybin lasts much longer (a 115-year old mushroom sample was found to contain some). The two are equally psychoactive, since one molecule of psilocybin breaks down into one molecule of psilocin" -- cluster busters

VS

"I'd say the question of Psilocybin + Heat is no longer a controversy, its a misunderstanding coupled with incomplete data." -- Erowid

Offlinemogur
regnartS

Loc: Puget Sound
Re: So I just got this dehydrator... [Re: BPJohnny]
    #5465553 - 03/31/06 09:07 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

Quoting the melting point over and over doesn't change the fact that degradation has nothing to do with melting or solidifying. That is a phase change and nothing more. Iron melts at 2800F, but I bet I can make it rust away (oxidize) at room temps, given enough time. A chemical is not necessarily stable up to its melting point, nor unstable beyond it. I would guess that the people who claim that a chemical can't be changed below its melting point wouldn't put their own bodies to that test.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder