Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Peat, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Tell me about pH and its role in mushroom growth
    #546390 - 02/10/02 06:20 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Tell me about pH and its role in mushroom growth [Re: World Spirit]
    #546394 - 02/10/02 06:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms require different ranges of pH to grow well depending on their species. I believe I recall cubensis prefer a neutral to slightly acidic pH in the range of 6.5-7.0. If your pH is off you could retard growth and encourage contams that grow better at other pH's. Generally a buffer such as lime can be added to substrates and casing layers to maintain near neutral pH's.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleRedeyedElf
enthusiast
Re: Tell me about pH and its role in mushroom growth [Re: Joshua]
    #546526 - 02/10/02 12:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Is'nt that the PH herb likes to grow?:)

--------------------
When the walls quit melting, I'll think of a sig

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
Re: Tell me about pH and its role in mushroom growth [Re: World Spirit]
    #546759 - 02/10/02 06:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

For all you GEEKS out there:
pH is the relative measure of hydrogen ions (H+) in an aqueous(with water) solution. A solution contains a solvent(something that dissolves another substance) and a solute, which is dissolved into the solvent. The moment hydrogen ions dissociate from compounds in water, it hydrolyzes with water forming H3O+, the hydronium ion. Therefore, in reality, the pH is the measure of the hydronium ion. The lower the number, the higher the H3O+ concentration, and the higher the acidity.
When the concentration of H+ forming in the solution equals the concentration of Hydroxide ions (the base), an equilibrium is formed, and this is the definition of a neutral solution. Pure water constantly has this reaction going on! The acidic cation and basic anion react to form water.
Mushrooms spit out enzymes that break organic matter down into an absorbable form for the mycelium. Enzyme activity is greatly affected by pH, and mushroom species have evolved the means to function under their particular environment.
P. cubensis is adversely affected by lowering the pH, or making the substrate more acidic. Enzyme activity slows down when the substrate is weakly acidic. When the substrate is very acidic, the mycelium will shut down completely and die. The acid will denature the cells and render them functionless.
The moral of the story is-add some fuckin lime to your peat moss casing layer!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Peat, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation