Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Leonard Pickard loses appeal
    #5456119 - 03/29/06 05:58 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

Life sentences upheld in record LSD case
By Robert Boczkiewicz
March 29, 2006 - cjonline.com

DENVER -- An appeals court on Tuesday upheld the life sentence of a man who allegedly used an illicit laboratory at Wamego, Kan., to become the nation's largest supplier of the hallucinogen LSD.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 3-0 against William Leonard Pickard in his bid to overturn his convictions and two life prison terms.

Pickard, 60, was convicted in 2003 in federal court in Topeka for his role in operating the lab from a converted missile silo. Authorities said the LSD-making lab was the largest ever seized in the history of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

He and co-defendant Clyde Apperson were proven "to be responsible for the illicit manufacture of the majority of the LSD sold in this nation," a DEA official said in 2003. Tuesday's ruling also upheld Apperson's 30-year sentence.

Pickard was a chemist and has a master's degree in public policy from Harvard University. He was a researcher at the University of California at Los Angeles who studied psychoactive drugs, the San Francisco Chronicle reported in a lengthy 2001 article.

The Chronicle reported that Pickard had been interested in LSD since the 1960s, when the drug helped launch the counterculture revolution. LSD was what Timothy Leary referred to in that era when he urged people to "turn on, tune in and drop out."

In his defense, Pickard claimed that over the years he regularly informed federal law enforcement of his research findings. The appellate judges described that part of his defense as "an unusual story."

DEA officials said Pickard and Apperson had operated LSD labs in New Mexico, Colorado, California and Oregon before they shifted operations to the missile site near Fort Riley in 1999. They were busted in 2000 near the site by authorities who said the two men had more than $1 million of a chemical needed to make LSD.

In an 11-week trial described as one of the longest in Topeka federal court history, they were convicted of conspiracy to make and distribute LSD in 1999 and 2000, and of possessing it with the intent to distribute.

The Appeal

Judge Mary Beck Briscoe, of Lawrence, Kan., wrote Tuesday's 81-page decision for the six-state court based in Denver.

The judges rejected all of the appeals arguments by Pickard and Apperson. They argued their constitutional right to a speedy trial was violated, that evidence seized should have been suppressed because it allegedly was obtained illegally and that prosecutors abused the grand jury process.

Apperson also argued he was prejudiced because U.S. District Judge Richard Rogers refused to sever his trial from Pickard's. Pickard also argued that Rogers improperly prevented him from obtaining evidence favorable to the defense and that Rogers was unfair.

The appellate judges said that a life sentence was mandatory for Pickard under federal law because he had two prior drug-related convictions.

An Internet Web site, "freepickard.org," was established by Pickard's supporters, who said he "sends his thoughts toward world peace" from prison. Federal records show that he is serving his sentence at a prison in Victorville, Calif.

Pickard's attorney didn't respond to a request for comment. Federal prosecutors in Kansas said they couldn't comment because they hadn't seen the ruling.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: veggie]
    #5456376 - 03/29/06 06:42 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

scumbag deserves to rot.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineGWARrior
Weirdo
Male User Gallery

Loc: CT
Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: Jim]
    #5456403 - 03/29/06 06:47 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

i dont think he deserves to rot

--------------------
A highpowered mutant never considered for mass production

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: GWARrior]
    #5456552 - 03/29/06 07:15 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

he was a narc.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: GWARrior]
    #5456556 - 03/29/06 07:15 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

--------------------

afoaf said:

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#5457788 - 03/29/06 11:45 PM (18 years, 3 days ago)

that was a decent read but who ever edited that article needs to be drug out and shot in the head. How you can have so many spelling mistakes and factual errors in a major publication is beyond me.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: coda]
    #5458657 - 03/30/06 09:01 AM (18 years, 3 days ago)

hahahaha

thats cause I typed it all while reading the article....

I thought I spell checked it, but whatever :smile:

--------------------

afoaf said:

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
    #5458985 - 03/30/06 10:36 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

You typed all of that? Now that's dedication! Thanks.

--------------------
:orly:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #5459718 - 03/30/06 01:30 PM (18 years, 2 days ago)

I did it a long time ago, but yeah... I typed it all out from the rolling stone article.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #5459787 - 03/30/06 01:48 PM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Well you should still be shot in the head for making so many spelling mistakes. :grin:

I kid I kid, thanks for typing it out.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5459960 - 03/30/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Jim, LOL has been convicted of possessing LSD (lousy spelling dictation).

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#5472603 - 04/02/06 10:28 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

lol well, props for sticking it out, it was a good read for sure! :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineKman1898
Dr. Learn'd
 User Gallery

Loc: A Park
Re: Leonard Pickard loses appeal [Re: coda] * 1
    #19320572 - 12/24/13 11:05 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

http://m.cjonline.com/news/2013-11-08/topeka-judge-told-reconsider-sealed-file-lsd-case

DENVER — An appeals court has told a judge to reconsider whether to unseal a file on a confidential informant against two men convicted of the massive trafficking of LSD from an illicit laboratory near Wamego, Kan.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled this week that Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Rogers “erred in the manner in which” he last year denied the request of Clyde Apperson and William Pickard.

They were convicted in 2003 in the judge’s Topeka courtroom. Pickard is serving a term of life in prison and Apperson a 30-year prison term.

Gordon Skinner was a confidential informant for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration during part of the time he was involved with Pickard and Anderson in the LSD crimes. Skinner testified against them.

During the trial, Rogers ordered that the DEA’s file on Skinner be kept sealed and turned over to defense attorneys. The defense attorneys were prohibited from making the file public.

The defendants asked Rogers in 2011 to unseal the file for several reasons, including for trying again to attack their convictions. Assistant U.S. attorney Greg Hough opposed the request.

The judges of the Denver-based appeals court ruled 3-0, in a 13-page decision, that Rogers erred in three ways in considering the defendants’ request, by failing:

■ To require the prosecutor to meet his legal burden “to articulate a significant interest” in why the file should remain sealed.

■ To apply the presumption, established in other appellate cases, that court records typically should be open to the public.

The appellate judges stated that Rogers “incorrectly placed the burden on the defendants” to offer a compelling reason” why they need to have the file unsealed.

■ To consider whether unsealing a redacted version of the file “would adequately serve the as yet unarticulated government interest” in keeping the file sealed.

The appellate judges stated that Rogers should consider whether redacting “just the still sensitive, and previously undisclosed, information” from the file, and then unsealing the remainder of it, would adequately serve the government’s interest.

“The fact that some of the sealed information has already been made public (in court proceedings) suggests that much of the information in the DEA records could be unsealed,” the judges wrote.

--------------------
Difficulty has more to do with reading abillity and ability to precisely follow directions. You need no knowledge of chemistry whatsoever, you just need to understand some basic principles as simple in concept as: water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C. Otherwise all published syntheses of organic and inorganic compounds can be reproduced successfully by pretty nearly anyone with at least average intelligence. Problems always have to do with availability of materials, not esoteric knowledge.

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

#19320589 - 12/24/13 11:09 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jim said:
he was a narc.

ok so lets get this straight. the man is in jail for maunfacturing a substance that cannot directly kill you, nor can it cause mental health issues.

and you're saying he deserves to continue that life sentence... because he was "a narc"

that is really really stupid

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale