Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheFish
Shakedown Street
Male User Gallery

Help me buff my casing layer.
    #5445517 - 03/27/06 12:30 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I've been disecting the different elements of a succesful grow and I've come across numerous links discussing the proper ph for a casing layer. To my understanding, I am aiming for 7.5, and I should use lithmus papers to take these readings.

I am having difficulty with a mathematical scheme to produce enough of the casing mixture in which I need.

I am casing a total of 24 pint jars, using two pints per casing, for a result of 12 total casings. I am using 64oz gladware containers as well. My coir is listed as "1 Liter - 21oz". Do you guys use the entire brick when preparing a casing mixture? I am following 2 part coir to one part vermiculite, but how much of each do I need to make my 12 casings!?

And as for testing the ph, I presume that I simply insert my strips into the mixture and take a reading. After I take that reading, what is a good rule of thumb as to the amount of hydrated lime and crushed oyster shell I should add? And after I add these two ingredients and stir, how long until I can take another reading to test the ph?

Spread good Karma. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand,
Says, 'Don't you see?'
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
Don't give it up.
You got an empty cup only love can fill."

Jerry Garcia

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Help me buff my casing layer. [Re: TheFish]
    #5445546 - 03/27/06 12:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Here's your formula for calculating how much casing mix you need to make for all 12 trays:

Length (of tray in cm)X Width (of tray in cm) X Depth of casing (however deep you want it in cm) X 12 = Volume of casing mix in mL

Verm- Total volume of mix X 1/3 = volume of verm needed in mL
Coir- Total volume of mix X 2/3 = Volume of coir needed in mL

Now.. When you using coir you really don't need to adjust the pH. That's really the only reason to use it in a casing mix. When using a PEAT based mix adjusting the pH is critical.

In the future you should try a peat based mix. For now you can just use that coir and verm and not even worry about pH. Maybe some crushed oyster shell as a long term buffer. Watch for overlay with that casing mix BTW.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Edited by musher_420 (03/27/06 12:42 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation