Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing?
    #5438862 - 03/24/06 06:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im going to be spawning 2.5-3 qts. of WBS to 5lbs of tenn. stud 50/50 mix substrate. I will be using no casing layer and using a double tub set up with perlite/misting for humidification. Im also going to try roger rabbits wax paper idea. ok now, here's my idea: i want to put some holes about 1/2 way into my substrate and then put drinking straws into them. After it colonizes i could add water into the straws and let it absorb into the center of the substrate to hydrate it. Would this work, or would it be better to just mist directly onto the substrate?

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: jtk]
    #5438892 - 03/24/06 06:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ive heard of people doing this whith cakes. i assume it works is it better the misting? i just don't know. thats where experiments come in.haha

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineStopGo
NothinShakin.....
Male

Loc: A Long Stange Trip
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: skeletor]
    #5438902 - 03/24/06 06:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Your trying too hard man. If you do the DT there is no upkeep. Go read the tek!

--------------------

Offlinejtk
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: StopGo]
    #5438914 - 03/24/06 06:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

trying to hard as in that is probably overkill?
thats kind of what i thought, but i read it's beneficial to dunk the entire substrate between flushes if there is no casing layer. I thought maybe the straw thing would allow me to just hydrate it like that and not have to dunk that huge 12qt. dish pan of horse poo

--------------------
Don't let your brain tell your mind it can't feel

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: jtk]
    #5439009 - 03/24/06 07:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jtk said:
im going to be spawning 2.5-3 qts. of WBS to 5lbs of tenn. stud 50/50 mix substrate.  I will be using no casing layer and using a double tub set up with perlite/misting for humidification.  Im also going to try roger rabbits wax paper idea.  ok now, here's my idea:  i want to put some holes about 1/2 way into my substrate and then put drinking straws into them.  After it colonizes i could add water into the straws and let it absorb into the center of the substrate to hydrate it.  Would this work, or would it be better to just mist directly onto the substrate?

Like Stopgo said, if you're doing a true double tub, you don't need perlite OR misting for humidification. The substrate and casing layer provide all the humidity needed. The polyfil provides the air exchange. I think people are getting either the teks or the terminology confused. Don't try to modify the tek. It wouldn't be archived if it didn't work.

12qt double tub. Puerto Rican strain. WBS spawned to coir, no casing layer, no misting, no fanning:

All you have to do is follow directions! :wink:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Loc: Mile High
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5439544 - 03/24/06 11:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Quote:

jtk said:
im going to be spawning 2.5-3 qts. of WBS to 5lbs of tenn. stud 50/50 mix substrate.  I will be using no casing layer and using a double tub set up with perlite/misting for humidification.  Im also going to try roger rabbits wax paper idea.  ok now, here's my idea:  i want to put some holes about 1/2 way into my substrate and then put drinking straws into them.  After it colonizes i could add water into the straws and let it absorb into the center of the substrate to hydrate it.  Would this work, or would it be better to just mist directly onto the substrate?

Like Stopgo said, if you're doing a true double tub, you don't need perlite OR misting for humidification. The substrate and casing layer provide all the humidity needed. The polyfil provides the air exchange. I think people are getting either the teks or the terminology confused. Don't try to modify the tek. It wouldn't be archived if it didn't work.

12qt double tub. Puerto Rican strain. WBS spawned to coir, no casing layer, no misting, no fanning:

I have a mono-tub but really dont want to do a casing layer as my substrate is very contam resistant, and my growroom has a decent amount of mold spores in it. I know I will get more flushes out of my setup without a casing layer, but what can I do to keep it hydrated?

Saturate between flushes?

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: cokaznrebel]
    #5439644 - 03/24/06 11:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cokaznrebel said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Quote:

jtk said:

I have a mono-tub but really dont want to do a casing layer as my substrate is very contam resistant, and my growroom has a decent amount of mold spores in it. I know I will get more flushes out of my setup without a casing layer, but what can I do to keep it hydrated?

I guess you can dunk in between flushes with an uncased substrate. That particular grow was an experiment. I usually use a casing layer and I would recommend one.

The casing layer isn't there to protect from contaminants. A fully colonized substrate will fight contaminants very well. A casing layer, according to TMC:
1. Protects the colonized substrate from drying out.
2. Provides a humid microclimate for primordia formation and development.
3. Provide a water reservoir for the maturing mushrooms
4. Supports the growth of fruitification enhancing microorganisms

To state that you aren't using a casing layer because your substrate is very contam resistant is misguided. If anything, the casing layer makes a grow more succeptable to contaminants.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Edited by FooMan (03/24/06 11:35 PM)

Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Loc: Mile High
    #5439714 - 03/24/06 11:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Quote:

cokaznrebel said:
Quote:

FooManShroom said:
Quote:

jtk said:

I guess you can dunk in between flushes with an uncased substrate. That particular grow was an experiment. I usually use a casing layer and I would recommend one.

The casing layer isn't there to protect from contaminants. A fully colonized substrate will fight contaminants very well. A casing layer, according to TMC:
1. Protects the colonized substrate from drying out.
2. Provides a humid microclimate for primordia formation and development.
3. Provide a water reservoir for the maturing mushrooms
4. Supports the growth of fruitification enhancing microorganisms

To state that you aren't using a casing layer because your substrate is very contam resistant is misguided. If anything, the casing layer makes a grow more succeptable to contaminants.

Thats exactly why I dont want to case, because the casing layer will most likely be contamed by the 2nd flush. Thats why I was wondering how to keep a substrate WITHOUT a casing layer saturated enough to still fruit well.

Offlinestrengthener
Stranger
Male

Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: cokaznrebel]
    #5439875 - 03/25/06 12:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

With dunking between flushes :cool:

i also use a fork to poke it a little then dunking comes in order  :crazy2:

InvisibleDexter_Morgan
Towlie's Mentor
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: higher than you
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: strengthener]
    #5439937 - 03/25/06 01:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i think Agar just did a tek with 'soaker hose' inside the substrate!

just add water

--------------------
Uncleluke, getting his assbeat, then he tries to delete it
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6355469#Post6355469
Tomato-Faced Banez
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5933438#Post5933438
Dexter's Thesaurus
beer = guinness
smoke = vaporize
pubers = reasons to be pro-choice

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: Dexter_Morgan]
    #5440239 - 03/25/06 04:49 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomDr said:
i think Agar just did a tek with 'soaker hose' inside the substrate!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5421799

:wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5440545 - 03/25/06 12:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If the substrate dries out, you can always inject some water with a syringe. I tried all sorts of hoses, pipes with holes, and straws in the middle of substrates for hydration and had an increased rate of contamination every time. It seems that trich spores migrate into the well you cut, then grow there in the stale, still air until they ruin the project.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChefMushroom
Stranger
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: StopGo]
    #5440697 - 03/25/06 01:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StopGo said:
Your trying too hard man. If you do the DT there is no upkeep. Go read the tek!

Where exactly is this tek that you guys are referring to? Or what is it's exact name?? A link would be nice. Since a search on teks returns tons of results.

Thanks.

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: ChefMushroom]
    #5440729 - 03/25/06 01:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I havnt really had any problems with non of my casing layers, and i got like 5 flushes out of them. I don't know why you would want to skip the casing layer, it makes a huge yield difference from what I've heard.

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#5440737 - 03/25/06 01:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If anything, the casing layer makes a grow more succeptable to contaminants.

Casing layers are non-nutricious...They wouldn't factor in at all when talking about contams...

DT's do rather well without a casing layer, to my surprize...You don't necessarily NEED one when using a DT, but it wouldn't hurt either.

-Gnostic

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5441100 - 03/25/06 03:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cokaznrebel said:
Thats exactly why I dont want to case, because the casing layer will most likely be contamed by the 2nd flush. Thats why I was wondering how to keep a substrate WITHOUT a casing layer saturated enough to still fruit well.

I didn't want to quote that whole thing again! :smirk:

The way I read it, I thought you were implying that you didn't need the additional protection of the casing layer. My mistake.

I would still recommend a casing layer. Even though you may get more contam-free flushes without one, it's within the first flush that you get the majority of your weight and a casing layer will help the cause big time. Anything after the 2nd flush is a bonus, but not worth stressing over IMO.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5441128 - 03/25/06 03:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Quote:

If anything, the casing layer makes a grow more succeptable to contaminants.

Casing layers are non-nutricious...They wouldn't factor in at all when talking about contams...

I disagree 100%. A casing layer is non-nutritious, but myc will still colonize it just like bacteria and mold will. Combine a wet casing layer that isn't completely colonized with myc and any kind of bacteria or mold spores and you have a breeding ground for contams.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: ChefMushroom]
    #5441385 - 03/25/06 05:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ChefMushroom said:
Where exactly is this tek that you guys are referring to?  Or what is it's exact name?? A link would be nice. Since a search on teks returns tons of results.

I'm assuming that "DT" is referring to a double tub. I don't know if  this  is what they are referring to, but its a double tub tek that I just came acrossed. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? *DELETED* [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5441390 - 03/25/06 05:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Jaeger

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: is this a good plan for my horse poo substrate with no casing? [Re: Jaeger]
    #5441397 - 03/25/06 05:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:cool:

Got it bookmarked, personally, it looks like the first, simple step to take once my friend starts casing, which should hopefully be soon. Taking one step at a time, should help develop patience as well. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies