Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Need help isolating strains
    #5414255 - 03/17/06 06:48 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

I have two agar wedges of pan goliath and I'm not quite sure which strains to isolate from here. I know the fuzzy ones arent ideal but the small blotchy areas don't seem ideal either. I'm unsure about this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I know the pictures arent great but it's the best I can do without a tripod.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #5414294 - 03/17/06 07:04 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

of areas and just see how they grow out.

--------------------

Edited by Zen Peddler (02/02/07 03:46 AM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5414379 - 03/17/06 08:03 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

When you say "healthy" do you mean the areas with the most opaque but spotty coverage or the most fluffy but less opaque areas...or areas that are thick, fluffy AND opaque... Well, now that I think of it maybe I'll just isolate one of each and fruit them out.

Still, which areas are considered healthy, the ones with the most coverage?

Thanks for your input.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5414555 - 03/17/06 09:02 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Most pan growers select the fuzzy mycelium. Personally, with pans it's easier imo to simply spawn that whole plate into a few grain jars, then later on, clone from your best cluster for a good fruiting strain.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #5414557 - 03/17/06 09:04 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

all those yellow looking dots on the lower plate do not look promising,
you may be raising some contam in there.

conerning the mycelium, didnt grow pans so far so i cant tell.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: ohmatic]
    #5414678 - 03/17/06 10:38 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Didn't grow pans...huh, are you serious? The print was received from a well known Shroomery vendor and marked as pan goliath. I hope I didn't get stiffed... again.

I received the goliath as a replacement for a dud pan vietnam that I originally purchased and was not only sparse and pencil eraser sized but apparently sterile. I scraped the piss poor pan vietnam paper and tried to make an LC with it. 8 weeks of incubating and nothing happened. Everything else I made into an LC bagan colonizing 3 days after starting.

Those yellow dots aren't really yellow. I was worried about them at first but they haven't proliferated at all. I think they happened as a result of condensation in the dish that dripped down. After replacing the lid with a clean sterile one I noticed them in there. At first glance I thought they might be pins. They're actually clear protrusions kind of like little agar stalagmites or something...They haven't been growing or proliferating but the mycelium doesn't seem to like them either. I don't know really. I figured I'd just keep an eye on them for a while.

Not pans...that's still biting me pretty hard. WTF. I guess I'll just stop using that vendor for good; I don't intentionally give anyone a chance to rip me off a third time. Not cyans...What a pisser!

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/17/06 10:52 PM)

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5414711 - 03/17/06 10:51 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

no you got me wrong there !

it looks very much like pan but what i wanted to say was that I havent cultivated paneolus myself yet
and therefor cannot tell you exactly how things are.

sorry for the confusion, im sure the vendor is legit (if one of the boards vendors) :smile:
hope i clarified that

--------------------

Edited by ohmatic (03/17/06 10:52 PM)

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#5414715 - 03/17/06 10:54 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Oh. Whew! I was getting mad thinking I got stiffed again. Thanks for clarifying!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #5414720 - 03/17/06 10:57 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

There isn't really a Panaeolus goliath or Panaeolus vietnam, they are both properly named Panaeolus cyanescens and Goliath or Vietnam are only the strain names.

This really doesn't help your problem but I thought it might help clear up some confusion if you happen to acquire a different species of Panaeolus.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Need help isolating strains *DELETED* [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #5414748 - 03/17/06 11:09 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Post deleted by Corporal Kielbasa

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: Workman]
    #5414817 - 03/17/06 11:43 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Thanks workman,
I always appreciate when others go out of their way to help educate folks.

I was just being lazy really. It's just easier to type "pan goliath" than "Panaeolus cyanescens goliath strain".

I have seen a few reports that the goliath strain is a very poor producer and the vietnamese is a very good producer. Because I'm reletively inexperienced I prefered to have the pan vietnam because of this.

I started the isolations for goliath because I'm wanting to isolate a good producing strain and I wanted to get my feet wet in the world of agar and isolations. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I'm particularly proud of my shitake clone on agar, it looks beautiful.

Anyway, I guess if it's really that hard to isolate/distinguish prolific pan strains on agar then I'll just let the dish colonize completely and spawn it to grain, fruit, and clone the best ones. Wish me luck.

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/17/06 11:46 PM)

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5415208 - 03/18/06 05:53 AM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:
didnt grow pans so far so i cant tell.

Ohmatic doesn't mean your culture is not Panaeolus; he means that he has not yet ventured into growing pans, so he can't help you with what the myc should look like.

I think. :tongue:

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: shroomydan]
    #5415428 - 03/18/06 09:36 AM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Quote:

ohmatic said:
didnt grow pans so far so i cant tell.

Ohmatic doesn't mean your culture is not Panaeolus; he means that he has not yet ventured into growing pans, so he can't help you with what the myc should look like.

I think. :tongue:

eeeeeeeeeeeexactamundo :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

#5417311 - 03/18/06 09:30 PM (18 years, 14 days ago)

hehehe, yea, I got what ohmatic meant a few posts back :blush:, thanks for the heads up anyway. I can be a bit exciteable at times. :grin:

I'll do what you recommend and just isolate a bunch of different types and fruit them all out.  Thanks for the advice.  :sun:

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/18/06 09:31 PM)

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #5427043 - 03/21/06 07:35 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

The top half of the top plate looks pretty uniform to me. That is where I would isolate from.

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Re: Need help isolating strains [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5439742 - 03/24/06 10:04 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Isolations complete. Results pending.
Thanks for your help!

--------------------
-Noam Chomsky

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules