Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemnmdat
Stranger
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: shriek]
    #5403715 - 03/15/06 02:17 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Ya Im having that same problem of only being able to find fine verm. When I case I think Im going to use a mix of 50 coir,25 verm,15peat and 10 oystershell. Im hoping that this will off set only having fine verm.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshriek

Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: mnmdat]
    #5404052 - 03/15/06 03:20 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

i have one okey grade of verm (its difficult to fine good verm here in norway) that i have normally used that has been medium grade i guess because when i went to the pet zoo i found the best verm i have used so far. it was labeled as "reptile egg incubation medium" and that was the perfect verm imo, but 5 litres cost just as much as i pay for 100 litres at a gardening centre of that medium grade :frown:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: shriek]
    #5404873 - 03/15/06 06:03 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I meant to say is does not work good, I see that I omitted that when I looked back, sorry. I will very rarely say never BTW.
I have to agree I have seen alot of things work that many believed would not. I still recommend med to course verm for casings but not the real big course stuff as I've seen huge verm I never knew existed! Consistancy for the masses would not benefit from the use of fine verm in casings IMHO. But obviously if thats all thats available it will work. Thanks for the input FooMan! What does your casing mix consist of BTW besides of course fine verm?

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: hyphae]
    #5410322 - 03/16/06 09:34 PM (18 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
What does your casing mix consist of BTW besides of course fine verm?

In the first set of pics, just fine verm. In the second set, the first 3 pics were cased with Jiffy Mix (perlite kind) mixed with a little oyster shell flour. The last pic in that set had no casing layer, just WBS spawned to coir at about a 1:4 ratio.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinefireman
Stranger
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: FooMan]
    #5438768 - 03/24/06 03:42 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

would course perlite be better than fine vermiculite in substrate and casing layers, or is it better to stick with verm?

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: fireman]
    #5438774 - 03/24/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

stick with vermiculite

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: fireman]
    #5438937 - 03/24/06 04:55 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I have actually seen people use perlite in their casings, but it is more to fluff it up then for moisture retention.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: FooMan]
    #5439036 - 03/24/06 05:34 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I hope you explained to them the importance of water retention and a casings health as far as water demands put on them during the flushes. It's funny to see how people are straying away from proper techniques out of just not knowing any better. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fine vermiculite ? [Re: hyphae]
    #5439061 - 03/24/06 05:43 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
I hope you explained to them the importance of water retention and a casings health as far as water demands put on them during the flushes. It's funny to see how people are straying away from proper techniques out of just not knowing any better. :wink:

They need to read. :smirk: Your pinning strategy is a good place to start.

It seems like people are reading, but maybe reading too fast or just not comprehending the information. The wealth of information here can be your best friend and your worst enemy at the same time. You'll read something in the archives, then read a post somewhere else that contradicts what you just read. It can lead to quick confusion for a noob.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale