Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
pressure cookers...mold....and no fun
    #543619 - 02/07/02 01:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

a friend was wondering whether a 10 p.s.i. pressure cooker would do the trick, they seem to be the only product in stores near him and look much cheaper than the other ones, if he is going to buy one of course he wants it to do the job. he is looking into this because he is getting very annoyed with a blck contam that seems to start from the middle of the jar and work its way out just when the jar is about 60% done, or enough to get my friend exited about finally having a cake to put in his beautiful terr. set-up that is just waiting to make something happen(pis soon). would contam from the middle spreading out suggest that it is the substrate that is not sterilized? he innoculates from four points on the outside pf-tek style.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Re: pressure cookers...mold....and no fun [Re: ParticleMan]
    #543634 - 02/07/02 01:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Most people use a 15psi pressure cooker...but if you are only using the pf tek with brown rice flour then you should be safe just boiling your jars for about 30-40 mins...are all the cakes you are doing getting this black contam? If so it could possibly be the spores that you have but I doubt that. You also might want to try cleaning everything around you while innoculating or even do it over an open oven set on the lowest setting.

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
    #543635 - 02/07/02 01:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes let steam for 1 hour and all baddies will be gone:) Good luck

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
    #543703 - 02/07/02 02:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey ParticleMan ask your friend how he sterilized his substrate. As for pressure cookers yep I could only find 12 psi the one with the "jiggley weight" on the lid. The sterilization time varies alittle with this type because you dont time it until the weight "jiggles" only then do you have 12 psi and from the time you start it till the weight jiggles varies so your total time will vary. To tell you the truth I had better luck boiling the shit outta the jars in a deep pot with a solid piece of stoneware as a cover and 15lbs of weight on top for an hour and a half for pint jars so for 1/2 pt. jars 45 minutes-hour sounds right. Point is depending on what your doing and what your using your timing is going to vary somewhere between 45 and a hour and a half. YOU gotta find what works for you, Im still working on my optimum PC time. I PC'd these ZipLock 1/2 pt. containers and did those for 1/2 hour but it was on the stove for close to an hour. Im hoping these suckers work cause I innock'd with honey water and they should colonize quickly. Im hoping for 100% in 7-10 days. We'll see?? Of course all this is null and void if your not working with sterile spores but since you said you dont see the contams until around 60% colonized it leads me to believe its your substrate.
Hope this helped...

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
    #543727 - 02/07/02 03:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

well, thanks for the timely replies thus far. i think he boiled them for an hour with a nice gentle boil. he also had some problems with excess water getting in the jars even with 3 pieces of tin foil on each, will a pc make some of this problem go away, he likes the ones with the nice little rack that sit on inside...but he also likes having a little money in his pocket. he deinately wasnt as thourough as he could have been, but he did take some ordinary precautions. the procedures for sterilization he used were this....

no fans and no heater for 2 hrs
a nice cleaning/spraying with lysol
oven tek for innoculation
boiling for 1 hr

i also think it is the substrate because in more jars he has examined it seems to come from the middle and not the outside.

(EDIT) Half of this post was deleted becasue i was embarrased at the lack of knowledge when i was wet behind the ears

--------------------

Edited by ParticleMan (04/19/02 04:31 AM)

Offlinesillvyr

Loc: under a tree
    #543814 - 02/07/02 04:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey there,
I have a 10psi cooker, the kind with that little jiggly thing on top, and it works great! After I get it up to temp (the thing rocks and puts out steam for 10 mins on HIGH then bring back to LOW and you're all set), I cook the jars for 45 mins. I can only cook 3 at a time, but it's ok. Best $20 for all the germs it kills, and if next time I decide to use different grain product, I won't be limited. I reccomend it highly.

--------------------
The "Little Mushrooms" are but emisaries to the Overmind.....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation