Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
Time till colonization??
    #543406 - 02/07/02 07:18 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps this is an easy question I shouldn't ask, but here goes.. I am new to mushroom cultivation and am experiencing my first time at growing.. I have prepared some jars exactly as the PF Tek suggests.. Only difference is that when I inoculated the jars, I didn't exactly see a bead of water. What I saw was more of a saturation spread.. Because of this I ended up using 2.5 cc's per jar!! which seems like a lot... My question is this.. Since I innoculated with more solution will I get faster mycellium growth? Its been 2 1/2 days.. And be skeptical because of the ease of the PF tek.. I for some reason think I should see something.. Even the tiniest of mycellim.. Any thoughts?

Also.. I sprayed my jars with Lysol before putting the substrate in.. And before sterilization.. Will reminence from the lysol kill my spores?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinearkendave
journeyman
Loc: arid desert, Las Cruces, ...
Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: Sporaticus]
    #543413 - 02/07/02 07:32 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

whoah! lysol in the jars was not neccessary. Sterilization takes care of it. I don't know if it will hurt anything or not, but I sure wouldn't try it. Let is know if you get mycellium.

--------------------
"there's only one, but there's really two............"

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: arkendave]
    #543425 - 02/07/02 07:47 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know about your lysol problem, but I shot extra into some of my last set of jars, and they are colonizing quicker than the others.
Once you make your own syringes, it's just so tempting to shoot a little extra, isn't it?

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: arkendave]
    #543426 - 02/07/02 07:49 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Right... I figured that after the fact.. But will the sterilization process remove the Lysol per say? ... I checked my jars again this morning.. I still can't tell.. My eyes begin to play tricks on me.. I think I see growth but am unsure.. I will remain patient for a few more days...

How about the 2.5cc of spore solution.. Will that REALLY increase the colonization time?

And also.. After I lysoled the jars.. I wiped them out very, very good.. I was trying to be clean as hell. Wearing rubber gloves and all. Maybe I took it overboard.. DAMMIT..

Offlinetomatofarmer
enthusiast
Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: Sporaticus]
    #543432 - 02/07/02 07:56 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i did the same...put way to much spore solution in the first time.....mine are doing fine...actually doing better then the ones that i put the right amount in..lol......but read the can of lysol......
i am quoting from my can of lysol as i type this
kills bacteria and *FUNGI*
staph,and strep
salmoneklla
campylobacter
Foot Fungus
and most other house hold molds and fungi

so i would think that lysol would not be good inside your jars it clearly states that it will kill fungi
it does not say it will kill mushrooms but they are a fungi and i take no chances..when i go around my jars i spray and then wait 5 minutes for it all to settle to be on the safe side..
-Lee

--------------------
I swear those mushrooms are going on my pizza officer!

Offlinephyzikal11
Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: tomatofarmer]
    #543465 - 02/07/02 08:50 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, Tomatofarmers right. just spray the room and let it settle before anything. That stuff certainly serves its purpose when used normally. I did the same with my first batch and the colonization of those jars was probably a week ahead of the others. And a bit of advice, IMO checking on your jars every single day is like watching paint dry. Just leave them alone for a few days at a time and youll be far more pleased with the progress u see

OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Re: Time till colonization?? [Re: phyzikal11]
    #543473 - 02/07/02 09:04 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I know.. I am just an anxious first timer.. Not to mention that I am not even sure it will work now because of the lysol.. Thing is there was NO FUNGI in the jars when I sprayed them.. They were obviously empty.. I wiped them out till they were dry... Then it was a few hours before I put in the substrate and sterilized with steam.. Hopefully the timeframe from the lysol being sprayed till the substrate was put in was long enough.. I will let everyone know however because at first I never would have even thought it would be an issue..

I assume that environment, and strain effect the time of colonization. Is this a fair assumption? Are there other factors? Is there any visual indications I can check to make sure the moisture content in the jars is right?

I must learn patience... I must learn..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract