Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUndulatingVioleT
Stranger
????pan subbs wtf???
    #5434056 - 03/23/06 01:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Alright....This is becoming extremely vexing...I understand that there is a lot of strands being created about panaeolus subbalteatus..But i think we need one more to get all this shit straight.. I have read many a time that panaeulus is a "weed" mushroom (thus this would mean that it is extremely common).. I then i have read many a time that it is rare..WTF.. Mj has reported repeatedly that very few people have actually collected this speciea, and that it is hard to find.. But then i have been told by another really experienced shroomer that they are easier than libs to find!! Every fucking feild with livestock has libs in the fall! Wouldnt this mean then that every Horse dung/hay heap should have subbalteatus at the right time of year??? i just dont get it... Please i need some facts from people that have actually searched for and located this species..

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: ????pan subbs wtf??? [Re: UndulatingVioleT]
    #5434257 - 03/23/06 02:27 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Read Close Encounters of the Panaeolus Kind. Right here at the Shroomery in the General info you can click on the first thread in the mushroom hunting forum at the top of the page.

The species name is Panaeolus subbalteatus.

And liberty caps do not grow in every field. Only in the PNW, and again not every field has them, but they are common. They are also in upper state New york and northeastern Canada, Europe, South America, Russia, Australia and NZ and in India.

Are you aware that lib caps also can grow on lawns and Panaeolus subbalteatus in the PNW has been found in top soil with woodchips on the soil.
Bet you did not know that.

However, Pan subbs do appear in cow shit and most fields do not have them. Some fields may have a lot and others only a few.

The Panaeolus subbalteatus shrooms are only in straw/hay compost heaps mixed with stable shaving and horse manure when mixed for composting and in haystacks left out all winter to compost. Sometimes the tarps get blown off the composting hay heaps during storms and spores are attracted to the rotting hay. They do not fruit directly out of horse manure.

While a few people here have found fields of Pan subs as I so often note over and over, which they sometimes find every spring season every year, and sometimes in the fall months before the freeze, not all field have Pan subs in them.

And not all fields have liberty caps in them and
not all fields have P. cubensis in them.

Panaeolus subbalteatus were originally referred to as the 'weed' mushroom only because in the early 1900s they appeared commonly in beds of commercial mushrooms such as Agaricus bisporis and/or Agaricus campestris, your common grocery store mushrooms.

They came into commercial mushroom farm beds via compost used to grow the commencial edible shrooms.

And eventually they had to hire extra workers to weed the mushrooms out of the commercial beds. Thus the name 'weed' mushroom. Had nothing to do with being a weed in the garden outdoors.

Later in the early 1900s, mushroom cultivators learned how to weed them out, at first using extra helpers in the harvesting of edible shrooms as noted above and then they learned how to prepare the compost used to grow the edible shrooms so that the Panaeolus subbalteatus mushrooms would not appear in the beds of shrooms. Thus they accidently became known as the 'weed' mushroom.

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #5435079 - 03/23/06 06:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Panaeolus subbalteatus is more widespread than it is common.

Here in the southeast i have observed them growing best directly from the dung of Horses, and that was when i took a trip to Georgia.

I have also found them growing here in florida directly from the dung of cows and also from cow-dung enriched soil.

Offlineoff7hewall
Mike
    #5435100 - 03/23/06 06:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah dude, Panaeolus subbalteatus are actually pretty common. But if ur unsure about em just check here on one of the mushroom pages. They grow around horse and cow dung and fertilized lawns as well. On the Lawns the stalk is a little bit thinner as i believe.

OfflineYamaha_Rider
Stranger
 User Gallery

#21751014 - 06/02/15 01:38 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

That's the only one I can seem to find.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains