Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebleedingsky99
just beginningto grow.

Loc: arizona, USA
tell me if i screwed up, haha.
    #5430104 - 03/22/06 01:56 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

alrighty.  being a first time mushroom grower [and terribly impatient], this will probably make you all cringe, but... i need to know what i should improve.  haha.  so PREPARE YOURSELVES.

strain: koh samui in syringe
Brown rice flour ground in coffee grinder
vermiculate purdhased from lowes.
regular size mason jars with metal lids.

well, i sterilized 4 mason jars & lids in a steamer [no pressure cooker] for about half an hour.  i had cleaned and lysol-ed the kitchen quite thoroughly beforehand, washed a bowl and spoon, and mixed my vermicluate-water-BRF with them [used bottled water, drained out excess, mixed in enough BRF to coat all of the verm. evenly].  then, using the re-washed spoon, i put the verm into the jars, fairily loosely, up to about half an inch or so below the top of the jar.  wiped off the excess around the jar with a paper towel i dipped in the slightly cooled boiling water.  it was still hot enough to burn the fuck out of my fingers, and thinking back it would have been smart to wear gloves.... i screwed on my little mason jar lids, flame sterilized a nail, and hammered 4 equally spaced holes in all my lids [re-sterilizing the nail after each jar].  NOW: here comes my first BIG oopsie.  i put the jars back into the steamer without covering the tops with foil.  yeah.  i noticed after checking on them what a stupid thing i had done.  i'm not sure how long they had been in there or if the water had dripped into the jars, but i rescued them, put foil over the tops, and replaced them in the steamer.  i left them in there for about an hour to sterilize.  *prepare for more cringing* 

well, since i didn't have a proper incubator, i had to... erm... make one.  so i grabbed a shoebox, soaked it in lysol, aired it out and lined it with aluminum foil.  i taped the aluminum folds down on the outside of the box, and then begun to search for saran wrap.  well... i had no saran wrap.... so i pulled apart a transparent freezer bag and taped it down [after sterilizing.  thank god the strain i got is highly resistant to contams...]. 

after the jars were cool enough that they didn't burn my fingers [ i know... i should have waited until they were cold...] i inoculated the jars with flame sterilized needle [re-sterilized after each jar].  i put my 4 jars into the makeshift incubator, sealed the plastic with tape, and hauled them up to my room.  i'm currently keeping them under 2 small lamps in my bathroom [which is VERY clean, by the way.]  the temp is definately above 70 degrees, but i'm trying to keep it around 78-80 by filling the room with hot steam [shower, haha] and closing the door.  i'm giving them about 12 hours of light, give or take an hour, as suggested.  i'm planning on moving them into a more suitable plastic incubator when i manage to find one.  it's been 2 days... gonna check on them tomorrow to see if any mycelenium had formed.  my strain apparently colonizes fast. 

i still have about half a syringe of spores left, and plan on using them ASAP.  i need to move it to the fridge, as the site i purchased them from suggested.

thank you for your patience.  lol: i hope none of you went into cariac arrest.  god save my little baby mushrooms.... i'll be praying to the mighty shroom spirits for guidance.... haha. :mushroom2:

thanks again.

--------------------
peace.love.&.anarchy
....[420]....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline90accord
Stranger
Re: tell me if i screwed up, haha. [Re: bleedingsky99]
    #5430150 - 03/22/06 02:07 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

well one thing you incubate in complete darkness until fully colonized

InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
    #5430301 - 03/22/06 02:44 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

Sounds like you need to re-read the PF tek and follow it word for word. I would be real surprised if you get any results by just reading your post.

InvisiblePORkSOdA
Living incaptivity

Loc: Maryland
Re: tell me if i screwed up, haha. [Re: HSIHd]
    #5430587 - 03/22/06 03:52 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

You don't need to worry about sterility when you are preparing your jars. Lysoling everything and sterilizing the nail that you make holes in your lids with is a waste of time. Just keep things sterile after the jars have been sterilized in the steamer. Having the jars in without tinfoil probably won't be too much of a problem. Innoculating before the jars are completely cold though can be a huge problem. When they are colonizing they don't need light, but it won't really cause any problems.

Offlinebleedingsky99
just beginningto grow.

Re: tell me if i screwed up, haha. [Re: PORkSOdA]
    #5436109 - 03/23/06 09:52 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

well, thank god i still have like 5ml left in my syringe... hopefully its not too late.... eungg.

--------------------
peace.love.&.anarchy
....[420]....

Offlinessjwizard
Stranger
    #5436201 - 03/23/06 10:18 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

one important thing to learn is PATIENCE is everything when it comes to growing. you in for a minimum of 1month if not 2 before you complete a cycle. NEVER scrap materials untill you are absolutly certin that its toast, cover them puppys with a dark blanket or something that will increase tempatures under that lamp aswell as cut the light which from what my friend tells me will increast the colonisation rate of the mycellium. i never tested both ways i allways just went with all dark. also you seriously need to consider upgrading a few bits of your equipment. you can make shift an incubator heater a"heatbomb" for under 10 dollars, and you can get a nice solid color plastic cantainer to use for this around 2 dollars at any walmart or dollar store ect. otherwise leave it come back in a week and see if anything changed

--------------------
All statments, Imagery, and Ideas contained therin any postings are meerly retold sotrys of fictional acts created by a figmant of the universe imagination.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #5436209 - 03/23/06 10:20 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

Yes.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
    #5436211 - 03/23/06 10:21 PM (18 years, 9 days ago)

Do some research on grain to grain transfers, you can create a few dozen jars with those 5 ml using grain substrate.

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Offlinebleedingsky99
just beginningto grow.

Re: tell me if i screwed up, haha. [Re: Bamaman]
    #5438169 - 03/24/06 12:35 PM (18 years, 8 days ago)

yes, i have covered them with a darkly colored towel.  i am DEFINATELY going to upgrade my stuff before i inoculate another batch.....  :syringe:

well, its true that you learn from your mistakes, so i'll be going into my next venture with a tad more wisdom than before.  not much, but some. 

thanks to all the replies.  :crazy2:

--------------------
peace.love.&.anarchy
....[420]....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract