Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineColorfulDee
Green Grower
Female

Loc: rain forest
Casing and Pinning: The Rules of Scraping
    #5427564 - 03/21/06 09:25 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Okay,

So, like a dumbass, when researching to set up my jars and tanks for the first time (this is my first shroom cultivation), I misunderstood the directions and placed my compost mix DIRECTLY ON TOP of the perilite. While I realize that was a bad move now, that doesn't help me. So, now the perilite is ineffective lowering the RH in the tanks.

Needless to say, I'm not getting crazy good growth. A coulple of spots  in each tank are coming up through the casing layer and its been almost a week and half. They broke through the casing a week ago and have not spread or expanded since. I think they are at a standstill.

The casing layer is only 1/2" thick.

So, my question is this:

Is is safe to scrape the loose, non-inoculated, excess casing vermicullite dirt from the top of the casing layer to gently expose the mycellium layer that is slowly creeping up through the casing. Not dig down to the compost level or anything, just "take a little off the top" of the casing layer.

Please help. Thanks. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
The best thing about living on earth and not in heaven are the colors. Who wants to live in white and gold constantly?

Edited by ColorfulDee (03/21/06 09:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledelavirdine
Stranger
 User Gallery
a [Re: ColorfulDee]
    #5427671 - 03/21/06 09:45 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

a

Edited by delavirdine (04/19/06 07:52 AM)

OfflineColorfulDee
Green Grower
Female

Re: Casing and Pinning: The Rules of Scraping [Re: delavirdine]
    #5427683 - 03/21/06 09:48 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

awesome thanks.

--------------------
The best thing about living on earth and not in heaven are the colors. Who wants to live in white and gold constantly?

OfflineColorfulDee
Green Grower
Female

Re: Casing and Pinning: The Rules of Scraping [Re: ColorfulDee]
    #5427837 - 03/21/06 10:19 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

note: per diploid in #cultivation chat:

don't scrape out any casing. instead take loose casing and use it to "cover" the 2-3 spots that are breaking through the casing early. that gives the rest of the mycellium a chance to catch up.

not criticizing you delaverdine. just posting up another answer i found so if some confused soul like me wanders along this thread, he may want to consider both options and research more.

thanks for your help guys.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5428779 - 03/22/06 06:36 AM (18 years, 11 days ago)

I recommend lightly patching as the myc doesn't need to reknit it's network as it does following a scraping, although it works it's not the proper technique and can lead to problems mainly keeping one from learning proper casing technique as well as adding a contam factor, and those that say fully colonized myc is quite contams resistant this may be true but were talking casing layer which for anyone that has had trich in the past knows it can certainly happen. The most important casing technique is learning how to properly case so no patch is necessary. Don't look for shortcuts yet CD. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing and Pinning: The Rules of Scraping [Re: hyphae]
    #5428792 - 03/22/06 06:46 AM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Scraping tek is used against overlayed and matted casings.

Next time, mix your casing up and what not. Then INCUBATE it. This way you are letting the myc recover, and regrow to reach the casing layer.

You are going to want to use 1/4" casing layer per 1" substrate also.

So definatly no, dont scrape. Let it do its own thing.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineColorfulDee
Green Grower
Female

Re: Casing and Pinning: The Rules of Scraping [Re: Citric]
    #5431817 - 03/22/06 08:59 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

well, i followed diploid's advice from chat so if i still get anything i'll post pics. i heard playing dave matthews helps them to grow too.  :wink:

let's all cross our fingers and pray if you got religion. :smile:

thanks for all the help guys. i promise i have been scouring the newbie faqs it's just there is so much out there and all of it's theory and one guy swears one method is right while another says "oh no. don't do that. "

i've come to appreciate short, precise answers and the patience you experienced growers have with us newbies.

Here's to ya!

--------------------

OfflineColorfulDee
Green Grower
Female

#5487492 - 04/06/06 07:31 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I got a little bit but nothing pic post worthy yet. I have harvested about 12 shroomies thus far, but most are just beginning to peep their little caps out. Will keep ya posted.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5487931 - 04/06/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Congrads! Your grows will get better I promise :thumbup:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck